Garmin, editing total miles?

PLuKE
PLuKE Posts: 181
edited December 2014 in Road general
Hi

I have received a Edge 200, and I see you can't add your own mileage from what I did on my old cycling computer.

I see you can change it using a program, but I am totally lost as to how this is done?!

Any advice?

Luke
2013 Merida Ride 93 Carbon

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Look in Bike Settings -- Bike Profiles, this is how it's done on my Edge 800.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • PLuKE
    The Edge doesn't have that in the options.

As its a basic device, it doesn't do what the upper models do.

To change the odometer from what u have been reading, you have to change it in the files on the device, with a program to unpack the file, change and repack. But unsure how to do this?!

Luke
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    What would be the point of doing this?
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Imposter wrote:
    What would be the point of doing this?

I wondered the same.
    IMO it wouldn't make sense adding it to the device as if you ever had to do a hard reset you would lose the data anyway.

OP why not just use garmin connect (or equivalent) and if you want to add the mileage you did before you got the garmin just enter a 'manual activity'.
  • PLuKE
    I want the total on my new device so I can see how many miles I have done on the bike. So this meetings racking up so I don't have to keep a record and tot up.

Thanks
    Luke
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    PLuKE wrote:
    I want the total on my new device so I can see how many miles I have done on the bike. So this meetings racking up so I don't have to keep a record and tot up.

Thanks
    Luke

It's just adding 2 numbers together, not exactly weeks of work
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • PLuKE
    Chris Bass wrote:
    PLuKE wrote:

Thanks
    Luke

Thank you for the sarcasm. I wanted to keep my total on this device so I can see it on the fly.

I shall try and search more to find what I am looking for!

Luke
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    PLuKE wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    PLuKE wrote:

Thanks
    Luke

Thank you for the sarcasm. I wanted to keep my total on this device so I can see it on the fly.

Luke

It wasn't sarcasm, all you need to do is remember how much was on your old computer and add on whatever the new one shows. What's the big deal?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • PLuKE
    Chris Bass wrote:
    PLuKE wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    PLuKE wrote:

Thanks
    Luke

Luke

It wasn't sarcasm, all you need to do is remember how much was on your old computer and add on whatever the new one shows. What's the big deal?

I have already kept the mileage on my PC, I wanted it to be on the device that's all.

Luke
  • I too have a Garmin 200 and wouldn't mind doing the same, if you find a way of doing it give me a shout please, it would be appreciated.
    Cheers. Gaz
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Haven't tried but have you looked through the files in the various sub-folders in the device when it's attached to the PC? I'd expect some kind of file to exist that holds the mileage, either a plain text file, XML or a binary that can be viewed and edited in a decent text editor. Gotta be worth half an hour's worth of trawling through the folder atructure on it, seeing what's what.
  • PLuKE
    I found an old post:- https://forums.garmin.com/archive/index.php/t-23556.html

I tried Googling, and downloaded the program, then got stuck! I am not sure how to unpack the file?

Luke
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have a Garmin 200 and a 500 and as far as I know, total mileage can't be seen on either device. There would be no real point as once your rides are downloaded to Strava or Garmin Connect, you can see the totals and all the other data there, and the rides can be deleted from the device. You can only keep so many rides on the actual Garmin device anyway (I think about 140 rides), before it gets full up and you need to clear it. I find it is slower to upload the rides to Strava and Garmin Connect when the device is full. Just last night I deleted all the rides that were my Garmin 200 as they are all on Strava and Garmin Connect.
  • Somebody eluded to doing it manually in Garmin Connect. Can't you simply add a 'moody' ride manually with the difference in mileage as the distance of said 'moody' ride and ........................ the total mileage is altered. :D

Would that work?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Or alternatively, everyone could just get a life....
  • Imposter wrote:
    Or alternatively, everyone could just get a life....
    :lol: