Disc brake bike technical questions centrelock or 6 bolt

Welshroadrider
Welshroadrider Posts: 67
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys i wander if anyone can help me with some technical questions regarding disc brakes on a cross frame?

Il be ordering the Condor-Bivio-X-Frameset next month and i want to get some wheels before hand. iv been looking at the mavic-aksium-one-disc-wheelset but i noticed it says in the options for a centre lock version of the wheel set? what is this ? would i need this or the standard 6 bolt to work with the frame and a sram hydraulic disc brake-set ?

thanks in advance
Scott Addict SL
Scott speedster S10

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Makes no difference. They place the disc in the same place.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thank man i was jsut worried if i get the standard 6 bolt and the sram would need the centre lock wheel set..

ta m8
    Scott Addict SL
    Scott speedster S10
  • nicklouse
    Ok so new question. If the wheel is center lock you can use either fitting disc. But if the wheel is 6 bolt you will need 6 bolt discs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • very confusing so why release the standard shimano 6 bolt? they could have just had a centrelock one and been done with it? so its probably best getting the centre lock as its compatible with sram and any disc setup?
    Scott Addict SL
    Scott speedster S10
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    You can get an adaptor to convert a centre lock hub to 6 bolt, but not vice versa. I thought centre lock was a Shimano thing and possibly a bit lighter.
  • nicklouse
    very confusing so why release the standard shimano 6 bolt? they could have just had a centrelock one and been done with it? so its probably best getting the centre lock as its compatible with sram and any disc setup?
    6 bolt was the first IS standard. There were others before.

Just get what ever set up you need to fit your hubs.

Discs can be easily and cheaply changed.
  • If you are bothered about weight you get a better selection of lightweight rotors with 6 bolt.
  • If you are bothered about weight you get a better selection of lightweight rotors with 6 bolt.

Unless they are made of a completely different stuff (e.g. silicon carbide), then the lighter the rotor, the less functional it is, clearly... one might argue about the floating ones, but I would assume 5-10 grams is all can be shaved going that route, like for like
    left the forum March 2023
  • You might be surprised what weight can be saved on rotors. Most standard ones I have weighed are 100 to 120 grms. You can get a pair that will come in just over 120 grms,

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=367
  • You might be surprised what weight can be saved on rotors. Most standard ones I have weighed are 100 to 120 grms. You can get a pair that will come in just over 120 grms,

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... ductid=367

Only half the braking surface is missing.... :shock:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • matters not especially with hydro brakes
  • matters not especially with hydro brakes

Well, it does. Even if you can generate the friction you need, the waste heat has to go somewhere - if there's less metal, it HAS to get hotter. Intuitively I'd say you'd lose some of the modulation too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    You can get light rotors with a more reasonable surface area, such as Scrub rotors, at 45g each (140mm). 6-bolt only of course, and a little on the expensive side.

Seems to me that the main advantage of centrelock is that they are quicker to remove, and the main disadvantage is that only Shimano supports the standard.