Puncture proof tyres

bg13
bg13 Posts: 4,598
edited December 2014 in Commuting chat
Evening commuter types,

Mrs 13 commutes regularly and has suffered extensively with visits from the old PF so after a couple of minutes research i've got her some of them solid tyres, granted the purchase price is quite high but the peace of mind knowing she'll make it there and back PF visit free is a nice thought. I fitted them today, followed a youtube vid and the supplied instructions. They went on quite well but it took two of us to force the tyre over the rim and i will have some bruising where i used my upper body to,force the plastic clips into the wheel. we should have some feedback over the coming year so will share it on here as i know you'll hang on my every word!

Ps please don't tell the girls on the crudcatcher that i'm posting on here :wink: Cheers and happy xmas.
Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
Ribble Audax
On One Scandal 29er

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Solid as in those foam type tyres? If so surely the ride quality is going to be horrible.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bg13
    itboffin wrote:
    Solid as in those foam type tyres? If so surely the ride quality is going to be horrible.

quite possibly but she has a very comfy saddle, we'll see as she'll definitely moan like a good un if they're ropey!

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Ugo stuck them on his mrs's bike and reckons they are pretty good, if not really racy. Should be fine if she's not into skids.
    Oh, and who the fark are you?
  • bg13
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ugo stuck them on his mrs's bike and reckons they are pretty good, if not really racy. Should be fine if she's not into skids.

:wink:

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    bg13 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

:wink:

who let him out!

Great idea, as mentioned ride quality destroyed, but piece of mind vastly increased
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Protection strips or Marathon pluses first surely?

I don't get this puncture thing, 2 in 5000 miles (both slow enough for me to nit repair roadside) what is someone doing different to get so many more?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I did review the Tannus tyres on my blog

http://whosatthewheel.com

For short commutes on well paved roads they will be fine... if she has to go a long way then I wouldn't advise them. I used them for a week, 13 miles each way off/on roads, broken tarmac etc. and couldn't wait to get home in the afternoon... the ride is harsh compared to a pneumatic, but if the tarmac is good she probably won't notice.

For good pneumatics that generally don't puncture look at Vittoria Randonneur or Schwalbe Marathon plus, although the latter are pretty heavy beasts
    left the forum March 2023
  • I use Conti GP4000s on the fixed and the road bike. Between them about 15,000km a year. 3 punctures in the last 6 years or so.

One of my kids has Marathons and mainly rides a few kms to school each day. In the last 6 months 4 punctures and one whole new tyre.

Maybe just luck, but I'm far from convinced punctures are down to just the tyre.
  • my wife has had marathon pluses fitted to her bikes for well over 10 years now, in that time a 2 maybe 3 punctures, one was a ill fitted tyre on a new bike that the bike shop had pinched the tube, and other was the side wall wore out and exposed the wire which snagged the tube.

my wife's commute is has far more broken glass and wet gravel paths which shred road tyres in remarkably quickly.

sure if you ride out, and don't use shared paths you can reduce punctures, but if your just pottering to work a shared path glass or not can be a more pleasant way in.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    potholes, glass are no match for black thorns those bloody things are made of the hardest substance in the universe and once embedded they vanish until you fit a fresh tube :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.