Torque Wrench - Recommendation

ajkerr73
ajkerr73 Posts: 318
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Anyone recommend a torque wrench?

Comments

• You just missed £20 off the Superstars one - don't know if they will get more stock in.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Sealey draper 2-12Nm about £25 in the deals: bombproof, really easy to use, lifetime warranty. I have 3 Sealey t/wrenches (2 - 12, 12 - 60 & mahooosif for m/bike swing arms, wheel nuts, etc and have used them for years with no problems atall). The 2 - 12 is bicycle use only and really nice to use.

Snap On - about a million quid nut probably one of the best you can buy but so lovely you don't mind paying for it.

B&Q do one 2 - 12Nm for about £20.

Alternatively I think Ritchey (amongst others) do torque keys - pre set tourque settings, generally come with in built 5mm bit but you can remove them and then use any size bit you want. Cheapest option for once in a year use.

I bought a separate box of multi sized Allen, torx, security and screwdriver bits from Sealey Draper - about £20 but covers every size imaginable and so useful for working on various bikes (eg Campy using their toro bits and Shimano using Allen). About the size of a small book, hard plastic case so very portable and will last a lifetime.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Unfortunately my experience of Draper over the years is that it's rubbish so I'd never touch it.

My Superstars one turned up today and I compared it to my English-made one from the local engineering suppliers. At a nominal 5Nm, the Superstars one applied 0.4Nm less than the expensive English one (about 1/10th of a turn) - good enough from my POV
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Sealey draper 2-12Nm about £25 in the deals: bombproof, really easy to use, lifetime warranty. I have 3 Sealey t/wrenches (2 - 12, 12 - 60 & mahooosif for m/bike swing arms, wheel nuts, etc and have used them for years with no problems atall). The 2 - 12 is bicycle use only and really nice to use.

Snap On - about a million quid nut probably one of the best you can buy but so lovely you don't mind paying for it.

B&Q do one 2 - 12Nm for about £20.

Alternatively I think Ritchey (amongst others) do torque keys - pre set tourque settings, generally come with in built 5mm bit but you can remove them and then use any size bit you want. Cheapest option for once in a year use.

I bought a separate box of multi sized Allen, torx, security and screwdriver bits from Sealey Draper - about £20 but covers every size imaginable and so useful for working on various bikes (eg Campy using their toro bits and Shimano using Allen). About the size of a small book, hard plastic case so very portable and will last a lifetime.

+1 for sealey