Aluminium cassette

booldawg
booldawg Posts: 290
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Thinking of upgrading my rear hub next year to a Hope Pro 3 (running a v-brake on the back)

I've read that they need to be run with an aluminium cassette as steel or any other harder metal will mangle the aluminium free hub a lot quicker.

Never really paid too much attention to the construction of my cassette and usually run HG30/HG50 usual run of the mill Shimano stuff.

What alu rear cassettes are available in 9 speed?
1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/

Comments

• Nothing to do with the cassette being alu. It's the carrier to spread the load which is needed/best. XT is probably your best bet as it has most cogs in the carrier.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    doesn't matter what cassette you use it will still get scored.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    An XT or SLX with aluminium spider will reduce the amount of digging in by a lot.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It won't cause the hub to fail but can just make it tricky to remove the freehub. I used a Deore cassette for two years on my old Pro 2.
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    OK - thanks all. Food for thought!
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Order the steel free hub version.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I like the latest Novatec design with a single steel spline, how long before others adopt it for all but the lightest options, from Novatec's data it only adds about 8g.

But yes, fit the cassette properly, make sure it's Torqued right and it won't be too bad, avoid SRAM cassettes where the sprockets aren't even bolted or riveted together but are all free floating.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.