Any one live in Sutton & route to the City

anonymousblackfg
anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
edited December 2014 in Commuting chat
West Sutton that is, I found one thread on singletrack which pointed out where was best to get knifed but any knowledge is welcome, only a temporary move?
If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.

Comments

• I used to work in Sutton, I don't think a Monday went by when there wasn't a new yellow police board outside the kebab shop appealing for witnesses for the latest assault. But that's the High St on Fri/Sat night, easy to avoid.

As long as the place you're looking at isn't too near St Helier I'm sure it'll be fine. It's more the St Helier / Mitcham sides that are full of scumbags.
    Nonsuch Park is over by West Sutton and that's nice.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    West Sutton is on the Wimbledon Loop. The train service is appalling trains every half hour and totally unreliable to boot. A good reason to ride your bike more ;-p

Also... Pearson's on the High St which has some very nice gear. You may find it a costly move.
  • On looking at train times it seems a bit of a cluster fukc but it'll be the start of a New Year and the Dorris will have the car. That all combined could speed up the purchase of a Bromton to get to a proper station.

Also though nearish the town centre, it still seems a long way from St Hellier.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I grew up there. Its a bit of a hole but easy to get out of. The trains are rubbish if you want a direct commute- only about 1 train an hour to Victoria from what I remember. You could commute in from Sutton on the bike- its about 6k further on from me in Raynes Park.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    I live over in Carshalton, which is on the same line. About 4 trains an hour on peak on the Thameslink Wimbledon loop, with both directions joining a Streatham and heading in to Blackfriars, Farringdon, et al. Southern services from Victoria go through Sutton, but not West Sutton, so a Brompton will definitely give you more options (even the Northern line from Morden). I find the Thameslink pretty good, and getting a seat is not unusual, although when it goes wrong, the workarounds are pretty long-winded.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Right, i'm there... one floor further up than I was told so that sofa bed will be offered to the owner when we leave as i'm not doing that staircase with it again!

This morning I did up to South Wimbledon and then did my usual CS7 schlep, very dual carriageway'esq so home via Brixton perhaps, any thoughts on route from the South Londoners would help me.
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    I would be tempted to swing straight east towards Hackbridge (through the town centre, past the grammer school onto westmead road, up to nightingale road) then up to Mitcham. From there either split up to tooting for CS7 or head up to streatham and brixton. That keeps you off anything dual carriageway but stays on quite fast moving roads. But I used to live in Wallington so I would just be heading for roads I know.
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Right, i'm there... one floor further up than I was told so that sofa bed will be offered to the owner when we leave as i'm not doing that staircase with it again!

This morning I did up to South Wimbledon and then did my usual CS7 schlep, very dual carriageway'esq so home via Brixton perhaps, any thoughts on route from the South Londoners would help me.

CS7 is probably the most direct but getting to South Wim and the first bit through Colliers Wood is horrendous...

You could have a go at following the train line up towards Wimbledon (B279 towards Raynes Park) then you have the choice of over the Common, through Southfields or Earlsfield or hooking back up with CS7 at Tooting.

Otherwise I would think about Rose Hill->Figge's Marsh->Streatham. I ride up to Streatham on Saturday's only so no idea what weekday traffic is like. Brixton traffic is pretty bad though.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    If you want to skip Brixton, you can dodge left just before Streatham Hill station, then follow the B221 to Clapham North. You can also miss out Streatham High Road by cutting through to Streatham Hill station via Garrad's Road.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Along Gander Green Lane to St Anthony's hospital, turn right onto A24 and follow that up to Morden, Colliers wood etc.
    FCN = 4