2014 RS Revelation custom tuning options?

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mine was the same. Never got it to work right. Im sure there's some pretty bad stiction caused by the fork twisting and flexing.
    The Revelation is gone now and replaced with a Marzocchi 350cr.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I got to say, I didn't have the same problem with the pike on my five. I am going to give the extra sag a go as I am not using all of the travel. Time to play rather than chuck money at things just yet as I am just looking to start a new full sus build again.
  • russyh
    So just dropped mine to 80psi which gives me just under 30% sag. 3 clicks of comoression Dampening and reduced rebound another click. However one thing I have noticed, is when dropping pressure I seem to loose some of the stanchion into the leg? Looks like I am losing travel? I beleive the 2014 revelation rl are solo air and as such only have one air valve for both negative and positive chambers? Is what happening right or not? It doesn't look right to me. I only get full travel if I wind air pressure up to about 95psi. Am I being a numpty?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Quite normal, not an issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • russyh
    Thanks Rookie, I had not noticed anything similar with any of my forks before unless I dumped all the air. Especially at what I would normally call riding pressure. I am running 20psi less then rockshox guide for my weight. Hoping this will help with the harsh feeling. We will see at Llandegla shortly i guess
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you find any harsh feeling in your forks at Llandegla there's something wrong. Even the black trail is smoother than most canal tow paths.
  • russyh
    I have not used them at Llandegla, that's where I am going next. Will see what difference it makes. I agree it's pretty smooth even for trail centre standards still a great place to ride
  • Russyh what you need to do is grasp the crown and the brace of the fork and extend it fully. Your fork at any pressure should always have the same amount of stanchion showing. What happens though is if you release air the quick release of positive air can happen so fast the negative pressure cannot escape from the chamber fast enough. This causes a higher un-equalised air pressure as the positive air pressure cannot overcome the higher pressure of the negative one unless the positive pressure is increased to overcome the negative pressure.
  • russyh
    Thanks Rick, will give that a go. I guess that will equalise the pressure in both chambers? Glad I wasn't being completely stupid. Looking forward to getting out with the new fork setup.
  • Russyh wrote:
    Thanks Rick, will give that a go. I guess that will equalise the pressure in both chambers? Glad I wasn't being completely stupid. Looking forward to getting out with the new fork setup.

Yes it will do, its caused by the port to fill the negative chamber been very small, like on say a rear shock and the air cannot escape from the negative chamber fast enough. Sometimes the port can get blocked with grease, it generally free's itself and causes no further issues.
  • russyh
    Right. So pressure dropped to 85 PSI 3 clicks of compression dampening and a further click on rebound and the fork feels great. Thanks for the tips guys. Oh and Rick you were spot on the negative chamber sorted itself out whilst in the garage!