SRAM 11 speed shifters with 10 speed groupset

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Does anyone know if it would be possible to run 11 speed SRAM Rival shifters with a 10 speed Rival groupset? I had yet another shifter's internals snap on me at the weekend and I'm not keen on replacing like with like for it to happen again!

Is the shift pull the same and would it just mean I had an extra click at the bottom end that wouldn't do anything?

Many thanks for any wise words.

I'm guessing the front shifting is all the same but is that a stupid assumption?

Comments

• If your wheel allows for 11 speed, you may as well get the shifter, chain and cassette and do the whole move to 11 speed. Derailleurs and crank will work fine. If it's the right shifter, you can even buy them separately.
  • No, I'm afraid I've 10 speed wheels and mechs (and a load of 10 speed cassettes and chains I seem to have built up) so I'd stick to 10 speed generally.

It's £70 for a replacement 10 speed shifter but I don't think there's a price difference for the 11 speed and hopefully they'll be made of something stronger than cheese.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I must admit to not seeing a problem - I've run 10 speed Shimano shifters with 9 speed cassettes on the winter and holiday home bikes for years - as you say, just set up the mech so that the extra click is where the 11th gear would be.

Unless there is some SRAM quirkiness then go for it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.