HELP! Having issues installing 5800 groupset.

DKay
DKay Posts: 1,652
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Went to install a new 5800 groupset and I've hit a real stumbling block with the gear cables. :oops:

Basically, one gear cable is longer than the other and I only found out after I'd routed both cables internally. :roll: Anyway, I've unrouted the cables back to the shifters, but I couldn't for the life of me get the bloody cables back out of the shifters.

In a vane attempt to try and get better access to the cables, I shifted the brake lever a couple of times, but this has just rotated the cable end further around, making removal completely impossible. Not a problem you'd think, as surely I can just shift the smaller lever back? Nope! Neither shifter will now shift back using the smaller lever, meaning the the cables are stuck in there, with no access to get them out!

I am totally stumped now, with my bike in bits and I'm pulling my hair out. Can anybody help?

Comments

• DKay
    Resolved! It turns out that all I had to do was pull the hoods back over. It seems that with the rubber hoods pulled forwards, it pushes on the metal arm which is usually acted upon by the smaller shift lever.

You learn something new every day.
  • DKay wrote:
    Resolved! It turns out that all I had to do was pull the hoods back over. It seems that with the rubber hoods pulled forwards, it pushes on the metal arm which is usually acted upon by the smaller shift lever.

I'm not going to lie, this one had me stumped for hours when I was doing my first build recently. I think it could have been stated by Shimano somewhere.
  • DKay
    DKay wrote:

I'm not going to lie, this one had me stumped for hours when I was doing my first build recently. I think it could have been stated by Shimano somewhere.

HaHa! Glad it's not just me then. I was flapping about like an idiot. Now I can't find my chain splitter.... :roll:
  • DKay
    Install all done and working correctly. Not before I noticed another thing which Shimano neglect to mention in their instructions though. My groupset came with four long rubber tubes, but no instructions on what to do with them. It turns out that they're boots which slip over the ends of of the black plastic tongued end caps, to keep dirt out and the grease inside the outers.

I found this out too late, after all the internal routing and indexing had been done and I can't be arsed to do it all again. It would be nice for Shimano to tell people about about this stuff.
  • i had a similar problem when changing the cables on my 5600 for the first time. eventually figured it out and felt a right mug it was so simple. we live and learn and know for next time though eh?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014