Help with buying a new bike XC or Trail

mark_fogel
mark_fogel Posts: 158
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello guys,

I am fairly new to MTB and recently started riding blue and red trails in the Forest of Dean and Ashton Court and Lea Woods near Bristol. I currently own a Voodoo Bantu the one with the Raidon fork and I find the bike ok for most things however it is a bit heavy and can get quite bumpy downhill I also find that my palms get quite sore 20 min into the rides. The Raidon fork is great taking bigger hits however doesn't seem to absorb the smaller bumps etc. So I have been looking around for a new bike and quite tempted by the full suspension idea - Chain Reaction currently have a great deal on Sunn Shamann S2 at £719.99 and the spec it seems like a very good deal. My question this bike is advertised as XC, how would it handle on the rougher trails? I am 6 foot tall and 13.5 stone, I am not sure if the frame will be strong enough to support my weight in the long run...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sunn ... 9ee258b3e5

Any suggestions are welcome! I have already tried adjusting the fork air pressure however with less pressure it feels a bit weird and doesn't give me the control I need on the more technical stuff.

Thanks!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Ashton Court and FoD blue are far from rough. You won't find a short travel fork which will damp out those small, high frequency bumps unless you're buying a real high end, very well damped fork.
    The Sunn you linked to isn't a worthwhile upgrade from your bike, the frame is no better. Spend a little money on larger volume tyres and carbon bars & foam grips and a carbon seat post. That lot should make a good difference for not a lot of cash.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And the Sunns claimed weight is a work of Fiction, not a chance it weighs that.

The fork on the Sunn is a bit better, but not really worth it, as RM says, adding some compliance to what you have is cheaper an easier.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks guys,

I have already upgraded the tyres as the originals were rubbish, I currently have Conti Baron 2.3 on front and rear which provide much better traction however this made the bike a bit heavier. I will see about replacing the bars and seat post, if it saves much weight I will give that a try. Definitely needs to upgrade the grips though.

Just wondering if I was to buy a whole new bike what would you recommend?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on your budget - the Voodoo is such good value you'd need to spend a fair bit more to see a substantial difference.
  • Thanks guys, I think you have answered my questions... I will stick with the Voodoo Bantu for now and upgrade the little things for now until I have enough money for a decent spec full suspension bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Conti Barons are very heavy and on the trails you mentioned they are just wrong. Something like a 2.4" Racing Ralph would be much lighter and give more grip.
  • I had mountain kings 2.2s on a while but decided to replace them with the Barons due to the wet weather. I had a couple of crashes when I rode my local trail (Croft Swindon). The trail tends to get very muddy and the Barons made a massive difference to the grip and gives me allot more confidence in the right turns but certainly feel much heavier. I will check out the Rapid Ralph tyre though, thanks.