Jammed Ultegra lever

rdrylie
rdrylie Posts: 3
edited December 2014 in Road general
My right hand lever is jamming over to the left when trying to change to a lower (bigger) cog on the cassette it's not changing either. Does anyone know if it's completely bust or is there an adjustment? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    First make sure the hood isnt causing it to jam. If thats not the case,take the hood off and try flushing the internals wth spray grease (or oil). The mechanism can slowly clog up and seize from old grease and dirt.

If theres still no difference then it might be a warranty job depending on what model/year it is ?

You could dismatle it to find out the problem but the internals are quite fidly and complicated if you dont know what you are doing. Also Shimano dont sell spares so you would have to source them from used shifters or alternatively buy a replacement shifter second hand.
  • Check the cable isn't frayed, it's quite common.
  • Sounds like a good reason to buy a new bike. Then again, everything sounds like a good reason to buy a new bike to me....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If it's jeffed I can do you a deal on some beautiful 105 shifters .........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cswitch
    cswitch Posts: 261
    Id put my money on it being a frayed cable. I'd pull the cable out sooner rather than later as the more it disintegrates the more likely it will trash the shifter which has happened to me before.
  • Thanks all, didn't think of the cable will have a look, feels more like the mech though. It's three years old, so no warranty :-(
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    My RH Ultegra cable snapped a couple of weeks back, the cable rubs on the piece of plastic that directs it either inside or outside the bar when it exits the lever under the hood. When I replaced it I ran it through the old outer from the shifter to top tube and it felt alright, I replaced the piece between stay and mech. That was a mistake, gears were all over the place so replaced the outer from the shifter and all good since.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,027
    rdrylie wrote:
    Thanks all, didn't think of the cable will have a look, feels more like the mech though. It's three years old, so no warranty :-(
    Yep, I've had it twice on my Ultegra RH shifter - thought the actual shifter was screwed the first time (I was on a ride up to Bristol, and ended up with just a couple of gears on the middle of the cassette working), but inspecting under the top of the hood revealed the frayed cable. Easy to fix. It's one of the downsides of having the cables turning corners to run along the handlebars.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    rdrylie wrote:
    Thanks all, didn't think of the cable will have a look, feels more like the mech though. It's three years old, so no warranty :-(
    Yep, I've had it twice on my Ultegra RH shifter - thought the actual shifter was screwed the first time (I was on a ride up to Bristol, and ended up with just a couple of gears on the middle of the cassette working), but inspecting under the top of the hood revealed the frayed cable. Easy to fix. It's one of the downsides of having the cables turning corners to run along the handlebars.

I know its a bit ott, but I treat my CaaD to 2 new sets of inners and outers each year.
    I have 3 sets of Jagwires in my 'stores cupboard'
    a) I like the job
    b) It spruces up the bike with a new colour scheme
    c) Yes, the tight turn at the bar end requires good clean positioning and careful installation.
    It makes my basically 105 setup , shift like di2 ;-)
  • had the same on 105 left shifter and after dousing half a can of spray lube over the internals and changing the cable its been ok so far
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014