Decent eyewear for DH, not goggles

Coxy_UK
Coxy_UK Posts: 297
edited December 2014 in MTB general
I don't like goggles really so looking for a good alternative for eye protection at the bike parks plus xc. Love fit and comfort of the Endura Spectrals, great fit under full face lid, but they just scratch so ridiculously easy.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
<font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
<font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I find glasses really uncomfortable in a full face helmet. I find that goggles isolate me from some of the feeling of speed which helps with confidence to go faster.
    Why don't you like goggles?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Coxy_UK wrote:
    ...looking for a good alternative for eye protection
    Chain Reaction had some goggleglasses in a while back. The arms were detachable and could be replaced with a strap and there were some extra foam bits to seal the gap around the glasses. Couple of lenses as well. Seem to recall they were XLC, not that expensive.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Try getting over your problem with goggles. Glasses were no good for me because they were uncomfortable in a FF helmet and I got mud in my eyes.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Try getting over your problem with goggles. Glasses were no good for me because they were uncomfortable in a FF helmet and I got mud in my eyes.
    +1

Can't beat a good pair of Goggles with tear-offs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    edited December 2014
    These...

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/uvex ... rio-157733

Cant vouch for how well they stand up to scratching longterm other than to say that mine are unscathed in the winder grit and grime so far (had them about a month), but they're super comfortable (you forget you have them on), they'll probably fit well under any helmet, having slim arms (unlike, say, Oakleys), they dim and clear really quickly, have really good optical quality and do a really good job of keeping the wind and crap out of your eyes.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Angus Young
    nicklouse wrote:

Can't stand goggles. Makes you feel like you're riding inside a postbox.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I hate tear offs. Mainly because they get left on trails but also because water an dirt gets behind them.
    Wouldn't ride DH without a good pair of goggles.
  • Stevo_666
    nicklouse wrote:

Once I'm 'going' I am focussed on the riding so I hardly even notice I have goggles on.

@Rockmonkey - I just take some kitchen paper with me and wipe my goggles once I can't see well. Usually not a problem unless it's pretty filthy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:

Like you are not with a full face on.

Better than getting crud in your face.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Angus Young
    nicklouse wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Like you are not with a full face on.

Better than getting crud in your face.

Yeah, same with full face helmets. Ruins the experience.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Doesn't mashing your face in to rocks ruin the experience?
    I don't think a good full face has any negative effect on the experience. I like how the isolation from some of the feeling of speed means I have to ride faster to get the same buzz.
  • Angus Young
    Doesn't mashing your face in to rocks ruin the experience?

Of course. That's the conundrum.
    I don't think a good full face has any negative effect on the experience. I like how the isolation from some of the feeling of speed means I have to ride faster to get the same buzz.

I don't want to be isolated from the feeling. That's why I ride. I'd go without a helmet altogether if it wasn't suicidal.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It isolates a little but that encourages you to ride harder to get the same feeling. It also helps block out distractions and give you that tunnel vision to concentrate on your visual reference points.
    Half the trails I ride would be terrifying for me if I wasn't wearing a full face helmet.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Some goggles make you feel more enclosed than others. My Bloc ones are very deep being OTG goggles. I got some 100% ones which are shallower and wider they are much easier to ride with.
  • Coxy_UK
    I'm fine with full face lid, does indeed push me more, but yes I hate the closed in feel of goggles too
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
  • rockmonkeysc
    He said no goggles.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fat_Pilot_by_randis.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Coxy_UK
    Now they are awesome!!

Ordered some UVEX 107 Vario glasses as be great for XC anyway, will give them a go at BPW too.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Goggles stop the FF from moving around as well, I wear them when I can, but I really struggle with FF and/or goggles sometimes because I wear prescription glasses which are prone to fogging. I've tried contacts and just couldn't get on with them, before anyone asks.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Stevo_666
    @ the OP. Let us know how you get on at BPW. Although I'd be surprised if they work as well as goggles.
  • Coxy_UK
    I've mostly worn glasses at BPW, in fact when I wore goggles in the pissing rain I got fed up with them and reverted back to glasses that day.

To be honest I probably haven't given goggles enough of a chance and am just used to glasses.
  • Stevo_666
    Coxy_UK wrote:
    I've mostly worn glasses at BPW, in fact when I wore goggles in the pissing rain I got fed up with them and reverted back to glasses that day.

To be honest I probably haven't given goggles enough of a chance and am just used to glasses.
    May you haven't given them a chance. But look at what any semi serious downhiller wears on their eyes - should tell you something.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Misting in goggles can be prevented using one of several products or various ghetto solutions, I use washing up liquid.
  • Coxy_UK
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    May you haven't given them a chance. But look at what any semi serious downhiller wears on their eyes - should tell you something.[/quote]

Lol yes very true, I wish I was at a level where I needed goggles and glasses wouldn't suffice.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Coxy_UK wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    May you haven't given them a chance. But look at what any semi serious downhiller wears on their eyes - should tell you something.

Lol yes very true, I wish I was at a level where I needed goggles and glasses wouldn't suffice.[/quote]

Crap gets in your eyes no matter what your riding level is
  • Coxy_UK
    I've been lucky for many years then.
  • Stevo_666
    From personal experience you don't need to be at a very high standard at all to need goggles :) Although wearing them will probably help you improve :wink: