Whipzone or Pulse Comp?

Coxy_UK
Coxy_UK Posts: 297
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
What would you choose... 2015 Canyon Whipzone around £1900 all in, or a 2014 Nukeproof Pulse Comp for around £2000?

Cheers
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
<font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
<font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Canyon DH frames are pretty nasty. Not a great ride.
    if you need a large or x large then this is an absolute bargain, the best DH frame on the market, carbon and a decent build.
    http://www.freeborn.co.uk/devinci-wilso ... -2014-9894
  • Coxy_UK
    That's a good deal, but I'm just 5'10" so a large would be too much I think.

Looks like the Nukeproof isn't any better spec than the Canyon despite originally being over a grand more.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    About right given Canyons saving from it's direct sales.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Coxy_UK
    I know Canyon are cheap for spec but I thought Nukeproof were meant to be fairly reasonably priced too so would of expected better spec for that much more money.
    Still, which is the best option...
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Pulse has a much better rear shock. The Vivvid is pretty good on the Pulse, a lot better than the very basic Kage on the Canyon.
    The Canyon also has very linear rear suspension which makes it prone to blowing through travel, that combined with limited shock adjustment isn't good.
    I haven't been too impressed by the Canyon DH bikes I have ridden, and they were pretty high spec. They feel quite old fashioned and crude.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,692
    Not ridden either but I have heard good feedback about the Nukeproof - other than it looks a bit overweight even by DH bike standards.

Are you stuck on those two options? If not then my DH ride is worth a look - YT Tues 2.0 Comp. Costs around £2,300.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rockmonkeysc
    Medium Pulse comp is around 38lb. Not light but not noticeably heavy to ride. They are pretty much indestructible.
  • Coxy_UK
    or... Norco Aurum 6.2 2014 or Saracen Myst Pro 2014 ?
  • Stevo_666
    Medium Pulse comp is around 38lb. Not light but not noticeably heavy to ride. They are pretty much indestructible.
    Nearly 41lbs according to the Nukeproof website. That's pretty lardy. Probably the reason why they are quite tough, but there are probably quite a few tough bikes out there that aren't overweight.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rockmonkeysc
    That is heavy. I thought it would be lighter than my Scalp pro, that's only 39lb for a large.
    The YT or Rose Unchained are probably about the best if weight is an issue.
  • Stevo_666
    That is heavy. I thought it would be lighter than my Scalp pro, that's only 39lb for a large.
    The YT or Rose Unchained are probably about the best if weight is an issue.
    I'd agree with that. I had a close look at the Rose Unchained when I was looking, but went for the YT in the end. Bang on 38lbs for a comp if you believe the YT specs, which isn't too shabby for a the lower spec version. Very good kit for the money as you expect with German mail order, but more importantly I really like riding it 8)
    http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/en/Bikes/Gravity/Tues2.0-Comp-2014?x17283=cah3cj3m11a1dg1dn3nufobe23
    @the OP - worth a look IMO.

The Rose equivalent is one of these, although the YT sits between the 2 Rose variants price-wise:
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/mtb/enduro--downhill/the-unchained/
    Guess you would need to go for the cheaper one if you need to stick to your budget.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Rose do have the advantage of a uk agent, some demo bikes and quicker delivery.
    Dirt seem to really like the YT.
  • Coxy_UK
    Cancel everything... found a "spoiled" bike (demo bike, has dirty tires and scratch in fork decal) at Evans.

A 2014 Norco Aurum 6.2 for £1799, plus using TCB's current Evans cashback offer I get £95 back! Collect it Wednesday and have Bike Park Wales booked again for the 8th.

So basically what was a £3k bike I'm getting for £1705 with warranty and all :)

Now will I need to replace rear spring or what have you, as I'm a 15st 4 fatty?
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Aurum rides fantastic right up until it falls apart. The linkages are weak and replacements are impossible to get due to Evans crap service.
    You will need to change the coil on any bike, most medium bikes are set up for 10-12 stone riders. You will probably need a fork spring as well.
  • Coxy_UK
    Aww don't rain on my parade
  • Stevo_666
    Coxy_UK wrote:
    Aww don't rain on my parade
    He just has :wink: Have you paid for this bike yet?
  • The Rookie
    Sounds like he has, maybe worth ordering some linkages in advance!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Coxy_UK
    Lot of people seem to love the Aurums, no doubt plenty have never had an issue same as anything
  • Stevo_666
    Coxy_UK wrote:
    Lot of people seem to love the Aurums, no doubt plenty have never had an issue same as anything
    TBH you should be OK. I think Rockmonkey has a habit of beating the living crap out of bikes, given he races the things, so he's far more likely to bust them than you or I. That said, you will need to change the springs front and rear to match them to your weight.
  • Coxy_UK
    Sadly that's always gonna be the case... Where's a good place to buy springs please?
  • rockmonkeysc
    TF Tuned for springs. Bear in mind that Cane Creek springs are half the price of Fox and the same size. I believe they also fit Marzocchi and Manitou. TF also do some quality ti springs, there's quite a difference in weight and winding accuracy between good ti springs and cheap ones.
    Fork springs I would get from TF Tuned or CRC.
    Some good shops will swap coils FOC when you buy a new bike from them, Evans won't. Or I have a spare 500lb 3" stroke Cane Creek steel coil for the cost of postage and a couple beers :-)
  • Coxy_UK
    Or I have a spare 500lb 3" stroke Cane Creek steel coil for the cost of postage and a couple beers :-)

Oh well if that's indeed the spring I should be running and in the size I need I'd indeed be very grateful!!
    :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    Depends on the bike and shock. But that's what I used when I was your weight. Different bikes have different linkage rates
  • The Rookie
    You can get springs cheap off pinkbike, lots of options as long as you find the right size and rate.