Winter mud tyres...

nasha48
nasha48 Posts: 231
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

Just after a few opinions on good value winter tyres to cut/grip through the wet clay/mud etc. Always been pretty tight when buying tyres after I found the Conti Verticals were pretty decent all-rounders for circa £12 each, and have stuck with these for last 3 years or so. However, been thinking of trying others for a change and looking seriously at the Maxxis Medusa 2.1. Read good reviews, though have also heard they may be a bit slippy on wet tarmac and also heard not much grip as a rear tyre?

Not spending more than £20 each really.

Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If it's like the clay on the Mendip hills then mud tyres could be a waste of time, they just clog. I find a larger tyre with open tread pattern and lower pressure work best. I like Maxxis Highrollers in clay and chalk.
  • Maxxis Beaver. Excellent tyre. I have the folding versions which are probably dearer than £20 each, but if you get the standard versions you will not be disappointed. Its very good in mud, and any other kind of slop, even at 40+ PSI. They are very fast rolling too. Excellent on tarmac too. On roots, not so good, but the majority of tyres will be dodgey on wet/muddy roots. Especially any mud tyre you will get.

£14 more than what you want on CRC, because the wire bead versions are sold out ATM.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxx ... -prod76059

Or these ones, (these are the type i use, and i really recommend them)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxx ... -prod76060
  • nasha48
    Many thanks guys, that's helpful info. Still interested to hear from anyone who may have run the Medusa's?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Bontrager XR Mud or Panaracer Trailraker.

Both offer epic grip in the mud, clearing very easily. MudX is also a good allrounder, Trailraker is a little slow and draggy on the tarmac.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just to clarify, you cut through (soft) mud using a narrow tyre, you can't cut through clay or hard mud you need a wider tyre with the right tread to work on top of it, so you need to decide if you want a soft mud tyre or a hard mud/clay tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nasha48
    Thanks CL, that 2nd link is great. XR Mud sounds great, though yet to check prices. And cheers Rookie, you make a good point. All very helpful, many thanks indeed.
  • I'll second the recommendation for the Mud Xs...
    (However the cheapest I've found is around £30 a tyre)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Specialized Storm if it's always muddy. For all round winter tyres it's Specialized Purgatory. Both in 'Control' rather than 'S-Works'. Usually find them on offer somewhere for £20-25/tyre.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have started using Conti X-kings again and here the mud varies in depth and stickness. This week it has been not deep by very slipply. The tyres did not clog up and provided enough grip for a fast ride, well one where I had spin up the hills to carry enough speed to get through the muddy bits easily.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    The Rookie wrote:
    Just to clarify, you cut through (soft) mud using a narrow tyre, you can't cut through clay or hard mud you need a wider tyre with the right tread to work on top of it, so you need to decide if you want a soft mud tyre or a hard mud/clay tyre.

We have clay or sand here so im with Rookie, wide tyre lower pressure been running an on one chunky monkey up from with a rubber queen on the back, both 2.4 (or blow up too that) not had any problems.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    the above is why I am on X-king the mud is not deep enough for a proper mud tyre to make any difference. I have tried and I am slower. Running 25 psi at the moment but I will drop it further. Lower presure helps alot.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.