Reba RL 29" always locked out?

Calundann
Calundann Posts: 10
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I have a problem with my Reba RL 100 29" (2014) solo air. The fork supports remote lockout, but was not supplied with one, and I have no intention of using one. My problem is that the fork is always locked out. You can unlock it by manually turning the lockout spool by hand, but that is obviously no good as the spring will reset it when you release it. I was certain that the fork was supposed to be open unless the spool is turned, so it would appear that the fork works completely oppositely? I cannot believe that this is the way it is intended to work.. Or am I wrong?

I checked the service manual, multiple forums and google searches, and even disassembled the damper .. but to no avail..

I want the fork to be unlocked without using a remote lever to open it. Any suggestions?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    RS changed them. Old ones worked as you want but new ones need the lock out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Well that is a bummer, but thanks for the reply.. Need to work out some ghetto fixation of the spool out then..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Friction shifter mounted wherever you like?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have a look at this thread. It's a fairly easy modification and essentially gives you a manual crown lockout for the newer Reba's that have a default lockout position when the remote is removed. I added a few pics to show the ghetto fix I did and I am still using now with no problems whatsoever.

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12971561&p=18901410#p18901410
  • Thanks, that is an ideal solution for me, although am I bit annoyed about having to disassemble the fork. Its not the hardest process thankfully, although a little messy. I am still confused as to why the fork would default in the locked position though, that makes no sense to me..
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have fixed this problem on my revelations.
    Take out the compression damper (24mm spanner or socket). Look inside and you will see a spring. Unhook the bottom of the spring. Refit the damper. Remove the blue knob and refit with a o ring under it just to give a little resistance and stop it turning by its self.
    Its a ten minute job and very simple.
  • I did just that, only I disassembled the damper unit as Yately suggested, and removed the spring altogether.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's no need to remove the spring altogether. Once it's unhooked it can't cause any problems.