Torn tubeless rim tape

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Trying to go tubeless I've put a little slice int the rim tape. It's over one of the spoke holes so the tyre won't inflate and the sealant doesn't seem to be able to cope with it. Will it be ok just to put a small patch of extra tape over the hole or will I have to pull off the tape and re-do it?

Also, I know you can put a tube in for tempory repairs, is it ok to ride for a few days on a tubeless rim with a tube in? Want to ride all weekend so may not get a chance to fix before hand!

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    It might hold, it may not. Try it! If it works it should be ok for life. You can run tubes as long as you like it won't effect anything.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Ferrals
    Nice on thanks. Will pop a tube in an sort it out when I've eaten to much to ride over Xmas :-)
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Given that my non-tubeless-ready rims are being run tubeless with nothing more than electrical tape covering the spoke holes, I reckon you'll be alright patching that split with just about anything you like ;)
  • Ferrals
    Yeah I figured that, just with brand new wheels wanted to make sure. Worst comes to the worst I'll have to pull the tape off and start again!
  • Gorilla tape works well.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    My front wheel has this stuff on at the moment because I had run out of expensive yellow tape. Its been on 6 months and works fine.

1 inch Cross weave tape
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap