Sticking tub base tape

mattsccm
mattsccm Posts: 409
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Been a few years since I rode tubs and even then they were old ones that dies rather than punctured. I suspect time has moved on since I was using them a lot so what's the current best method of re-sticking the base tape to the carcase after a puncture repair. I always used tube cement reasoning that if it was good enough for the main stick then it would do for this as well.
Suggestions?

Comments

• I use tubular glue but I have never had good results.
    left the forum March 2023
  • mattsccm
    3M mastik maybe?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Vittoria mastik for sticking on .. the Conti stuff , I'm just rubbish with.
    Schwalbe glue remover if you really mess up.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I use Conti glue on Veloflex tubs leaving a gap opposite the valve to aid leverage at the roadside. I carry a pre-glued Tufo as a spare (they seem to fold the smallest) which I've used once and was able to chuck around with confidence.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mattsccm
    Note chaps( Ugo excepted) I am sticking the base tape to the carcase not the whole thing to the rim. Unless that's what you meant. Ta
  • People have used liquid latex, basically the stuff carpet fitters use. I bought a small bottle of Copydex, which is basically the same thing... I am happy to say it doesn't work.

I love the way tubulars ride, but replacing a tyre on the road is only the beginning of a long journey if you want to sort out everything yourself.
  • mattsccm
    Copydex is what I use at school. :shock:
    Got some super contact adhesive that I'll try. The tape backing was extremely well stuck from the factory and to be honest is probably good enough to go again.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If you get a puncture in a tub you can only ride careful on it until you get home. Any glue or tape thats easy to remove is not going to be that well stuck on. Especially if removed and replaced. Even if you glued a tyre after a puncture the cement takes a while to set so is not going to be properly set for at least 24 hrs with pressure holding it. Some would say the pressure of a tub at 9+ bar should be enough to hold it on the rim safely until you get home but as the pressure goes down as it can do quickly in some tubs (vittoria) then the risk of a tyre rolling off the rim is increased.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    As an aside re puncturing a tub, on a 2 up 10 this summer, I punctured with 2 mile to go, I yelled 'stuff it, carry on'.. we still posted a 26 minute time.. quick blast of co after the finish and got back home to a pleasurable evening of cleaning rim and fitting new tub... that one was on its last legs anyways.
  • mattsccm
    Cheers for the input even if its off topic.
    I beg to point out that I wasn't asking about repairs, I have done enough of them. A puncture means whipping the tub off and shoving on the pre glued, usually repaired one, that is the spare. The stickiness left will be more than enough for normal riding although I would use a modicum of care just in case. A small section of less thoroughly glued tub opposite the valve allows acceptable removal.
    What needs to be bombproof is the fixing of the base tape to the tub after repair which is what I was asking about.
    Not talking about tub tape to stick the things on.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Cas you seem to be drawing a blank here, have you tried dropping an email to the tyre companies' customer service departments? You never know, you may be able to get some of the stuff they use, especially if you confirm in your email that you only ever use their tubs and no other brands ........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Cas you seem to be drawing a blank here, have you tried dropping an email to the tyre companies' customer service departments? You never know, you may be able to get some of the stuff they use, especially if you confirm in your email that you only ever use their tubs and no other brands ........

I don't think they endorse home made "repairs" and don't offer "in house" repairs either. Vittoria offers pit-stop as a way to fix a puncture, but if you listen to the mother house unstitching and restitching is a no no...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Cas you seem to be drawing a blank here, have you tried dropping an email to the tyre companies' customer service departments? You never know, you may be able to get some of the stuff they use, especially if you confirm in your email that you only ever use their tubs and no other brands ........

I don't think they endorse home made "repairs" and don't offer "in house" repairs either. Vittoria offers pit-stop as a way to fix a puncture, but if you listen to the mother house unstitching and restitching is a no no...

In that case, I remember reading somewhere about dudes who repaired tubs - maybe track one down and buy some of the stuff he/she uses?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mattsccm
    Tried contact adhesive which is proving bombproof. Tougher to remove than the original base tape glue which was the strongest I have ever come across.