Tyre slipping on Turbo trainer

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited December 2014 in Commuting chat
Hi gents,

my turbo has been getting more use this year than ever before, 2 or 3 sessions a week due to childcare commitments.

And sporadic use over the last few years.

I run normal tyres on the bike (Rubino pro folders) and generally have them at about 100-110psi.
All had been fine, until the last session when I started getting the odd slip, this was mainly but not exclusively when I was out of the saddle.

My training plan will include some over/under workouts soon, which will require a lot more leverage on the pedals - the slippage this week was just on a fairly sedate 'steady state' pace, so I'm a little concerned my hard intervals are going to be a farce.

I have noticed that the red roller (I think it's an Elite Crono fluid thingy) now does have a black line where the tyre runs, so am not sure if this might be causing the slippage - I could try and clean it off I suppose?

The other thing that occurred, more on a long term usage basis, is that the tyre sits nowehre near the middle, perhaps one 3rd of a way in on the roller, has anyone been able to disassemble their turbo trainer and turn the roller around, thus getting to use the other side which has never been touched by a tyre?

Other options:
Drop my tyre pressure?
Try a different tyre?
Try a trainer tyre?
Stay seated all the time?
Attempt to clean or roughen up the roller?

And just to add, it's a turbo where the riders weight (72kg probably in my case) keeps the tyre on the roller.

Opinions/experiences apprecaited.

It's this one:
41UR5YUyocL._SY300_.jpg
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Have you definitely got the trainer set up right? My son uses exactly the same trainer and the same tyre. He weighs less than 55kg and is using his CR1 so, all-in-all, pretty much a lightweight set up. I doubt he's generating as much power/torque but so slippage issues. In fact, when I've used the trainer, my greatest criticism of it is that it doesn't generate much resistance. I'll take a look at it and see if there's something that can be done. Reducing the tyre pressure ought to help quite a bit too. I only use 100psi on my Tacx VR Fortius and I'm nearer 90kg. With no risk of pinch flats, you can go much lower.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Just been out to look - the wheel on his bike isn't quite central on the roller but it's only just off-centre (to the right). Are you using a front wheel riser? You want as much weight transfer to the rear so, the higher the front the better.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2014
    Thanks MRS - just checked, and the right hand side is fixed, so no way I can adjust it.

I may have been a bit overstating the fact, looking at it, I would say the tyre runs a tyre's width to the left of centre if that makes sense.

I slid the collar down, but I don't think the tri-cross frame would appreciate being tightened any further, it feels pretty darned tight in there.

And yes I do have a wheel riser.

Does your turbo have a black line on the roller from the tyre?

Like I say it has been fine for sometime, but now I am starting to do longer and more intense sessions, 1hr 40 last weekend, so perhaps it is the increased usage that is causing the issue.

I'll start by dropping the pressure I think.

I've noticed that the resistance seems to change as you use it more, I can only assume it is due to the oil heating up and losing viscosity (Spelling?) as my gear choices will change by as much as 3-4 gears to keep the same heart rate etc etc.

Do you/your son find the same?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get some belt dressing and spray it on the tyre, if the tyre has got to hot it can lose some light compounds from the tread compound mix and lose grip, dressing will replace those and make the tyre more 'sticky'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks MRS - just checked, and the right hand side is fixed, so no way I can adjust it.

Are you looking from the front or the back? The adjustment handle is on the chain side of the bike which I've always considered to be the right...

I'm sure the viscosity changes with heat (I'm sure that's why the thing has the big cooling fins on it) though I haven't asked him how much he notices that.
  • Hi Dan - I have the same turbo and Elite recommend that you stay seated all the time as it is not 'fixed' and thus requires the rider's weight to push the tyre onto the roller
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:

Are you looking from the front or the back? The adjustment handle is on the chain side of the bike which I've always considered to be the right...

I'm sure the viscosity changes with heat (I'm sure that's why the thing has the big cooling fins on it) though I haven't asked him how much he notices that.

Ah yes ok, I'm looking at it from the front, as the bike is wedged in a corner, so yes the adjustment wheel, and locking disc are on the drive side/right side of the bike.
    Hi Dan - I have the same turbo and Elite recommend that you stay seated all the time as it is not 'fixed' and thus requires the rider's weight to push the tyre onto the roller

Interesting! Was totally unaware of this, guess I have just been lucky up until now perhaps, but will drop the pressure a bit anyway.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18