Standout TTs

2»

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Can't find a clip of it but Iban Mayo up Ventoux in 2004 is worthy of a mention.

Or maybe the TT from the 94 Giro where Berzin beat Indurain by two and a half minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fLavRRGTyk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    This suggestion will probably result in ridicule, but....Wiggins at the Olympics.

One of the fastest ever TTs* beating the previously undisputed world champion (I know he was supposedly injured, but I think this was overstated).

It was also a week after the end of the tour and he was very very thin. I was very surprised and it therefore stands out.

*when looking at circular courses.

ps It is nice to be able to log in again.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The U23 WC was a good race this year
  • Rominger 1993 Tour - takes 42 seconds out of Big Mig - wearing the polka dot - and moves from 4th GC to 2nd final GC

I was at the roadside and for some reason stood in a ditch so was looking up under the riders - Rominger had a completely wild look in his eyes and was most definitely frothing at the mouth

good tour all round

1993-tdf-10-indurain-roming.jpg
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    TheBigBean wrote:
    This suggestion will probably result in ridicule, but....Wiggins at the Olympics.

One of the fastest ever TTs* beating the previously undisputed world champion (I know he was supposedly injured, but I think this was overstated).
    It was a monster ride. TV audience and roadside crowd was massive as well so Wiggo's Olympic ride really was huge.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    phreak wrote:
    Can't find a clip of it but Iban Mayo up Ventoux in 2004 is worthy of a mention.
    That was in the Dauphine Libéré that I visited. It was great to see him thrash armstrong on the Mont Ventoux TT and then Win the Race. The hope being he could repeat the performance in the TDF.
    (mind you with hindsight the event was a Who's Who in Doping)
    Iban Mayo wrote:
    "This is the most important victory in my career," he stated. "After the Dauphiné [2004, where he clocked a record time in the Dauphiné time trial up the Mont Ventoux.], I crashed in the Tour de France on the stage to Wasquehal. After that, I was out of the picture for two years due to knee problems and a back injury.
    phreak wrote:
    Or maybe the TT from the 94 Giro where Berzin beat Indurain by two and a half minutes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fLavRRGTyk
    This was the time I was convinced (after the 1-2-3 at Fleche) that Argentin and his Gewiss Team were Doping and that the total of win results were False that year.
    Shame as I had won money on Berzin to win Liege and then saw them leading the Peloton through Houffalize, 17 minutes down on the Break.

Team Gewiss 1994 Wins.
    Milan – San Remo 1994, 1996
    Tirreno–Adriatico 1994
    La Flèche Wallonne 1994
    Liège–Bastogne–Liège 1994
    Giro di Lombardia 1994
    Giro d'Italia 1994
    2nd overall 1994 Tour de France
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    Rominger 1993 Tour - takes 42 seconds out of Big Mig - wearing the polka dot - and moves from 4th GC to 2nd final GC
    Sounds good but he started in 4th place at 5mins 41 secs down and moved his GC over Jaskula for 2nd place
    at 4 mins 59 secs.
    Jaskula 3rd on GC at 5mins 48secs.
    I was still traveling home that day because it was all over.
    Memories are of Robert Miller coming past on the Col de la Bonette as he screwed Delgado into the ground but he got caught by Indurain with his wheelsucker Rominger.
  • Are prologues allowed ?

If so Boardman in Lille. The angle of the motor bike and the proximity of CB to the barriers made the already impressive illusion of speed even more defined.

Oh and the Gan kit was bangin'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wiggins winning the WC this year. I wasn't sure if he could beat Martin, he did. It was amazing.
  • 2007 tour final time trial with Leipheimer catching Evans who was in turn catching Contador.

Something about the coverage and the closeness of the riders that day. Remember Leipheimer's face when he sprinted the last little drag to the finish line
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    sjmclean wrote:
    Wiggins winning the WC this year. I wasn't sure if he could beat Martin, he did. It was amazing.

Martin is unquestionably a brilliant TT-er, but he lucked out on two fronts when it comes to his 2012/13 World TT titles:
    2012 - Wiggins didn't ride
    2013 - there was no hill in the course.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Prologues and TTTs are allowed.

It's all about being blown away by that ride against the clock, not others particularly because it's just ridiculously fast.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Wiggins at the Nationals was seriously impressive. The speed he did in terrible conditions on narrow, twisting lanes was scary to watch and in reality he didn't need to push that hard.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pross wrote:
    Wiggins at the Nationals was seriously impressive. The speed he did in terrible conditions on narrow, twisting lanes was scary to watch and in reality he didn't need to push that hard.

Wiggo is always impressive in TT position though. Can't remember which race it was last year but he went past someone else uphill like a rocket in his tuck and the other guy was out of the saddle, climbing.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Probably not quite what you were looking for, but certainly a 'standout TT':

Stage 20 of 2005 TdF: Rasmussen crashing twice along with 2 wheel changes and 2 bike changes. As a result he slipped from 3rd to 7th overall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3OQAX90sFA
  • deejay
    A Standout TT for me (which I can't find a reference) is the 1994 GP des Nations where Tony Rominger caught Chris Boardman for 6 mins and won it in 1 hour 47 mins, with Boardman finishing 6th @ 7mins 10 secs.
    Thought it worthy of a youtube vid. :? ??
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited December 2014
    Joelsim wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Wiggo is always impressive in TT position though. Can't remember which race it was last year but he went past someone else uphill like a rocket in his tuck and the other guy was out of the saddle, climbing.
    Probably Tour of California. I recall a heli shot of him of him blasting past one of the Yates boys. Not sure it was on a climb though. He was in sparkly form that day either way.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • shazzz wrote:
    Seeing Armstrong catch Ulrich in a prologue (2004 tour?) was pretty jaw dropping. Quite an accurate predictor of the race to come, too.

2005 Tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN_dUmUjAPE

Can't have been that good a TT - didn't even win the stage.

Think it was more Ulrich being slow.

Skip to 4.50 to gratuitous shot of Ullrichs mighty pillars.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    TheBigBean wrote:

It was also a week after the end of the tour and he was very very thin. I was very surprised and it therefore stands out.

*when looking at circular courses.

ps It is nice to be able to log in again.

This for me too. I took a few work colleagues to watch it (along with my wife and two young sons). I was the only cycling fan, but by the end of the afternoon everyone said they'd really enjoyed it.

Beautiful day for it too, pretty hot I remember.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    shazzz wrote:
    Seeing Armstrong catch Ulrich in a prologue (2004 tour?) was pretty jaw dropping. Quite an accurate predictor of the race to come, too.

2005 Tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN_dUmUjAPE

Can't have been that good a TT - didn't even win the stage.

Think it was more Ulrich being slow.

Skip to 4.50 to gratuitous shot of Ullrichs mighty pillars.

Impressive guns