2.2-2.5 tube in a 2.1 tyre

b0gd4n
b0gd4n Posts: 8
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey there.

I have a 2.1 Schwalbe tyre on my KTB and just got a pretty bad puncture. Patched the tube, but it's slowly loosing air now.

I want to replace shitty Conti tubes with the Maxxis Freeride 1.2mm tube wall ones, but the only sizes are 2.2 - 2.5" wide.

Will these tubes fit in my tyres? I am planning on changing the current tyres as well (Schwalbe Rapid Rob - very little grip), but not right now.

Comments

• yes
  • yes

thanks for the reply.
    would there be any downsides?

Also, wanted to ask if I can use these wheels (Ryde Taurus 650b http://www.ryde.nl/en/products?product=38) with etro 538x21 to fit 2.25 tyres?
    They are currently fitter with 2.1.
  • No not really, in fact the tube will not be stretched and so slightly less liable to puncture. I'm not familiar with the tyre/wheels so I can't answer that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The tube will weigh more and be more prone to being trapped under the bead when fitting the tyre, if it's in OK, then it doesn't matter, do you really need 1.2mm tubes?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    The tube will weigh more and be more prone to being trapped under the bead when fitting the tyre, if it's in OK, then it doesn't matter, do you really need 1.2mm tubes?

once I get it in, would be OK? or will it be more prone to pinch punctures?
    The reason I want to get them is to reduce the risk of getting a puncture. Was considering the downhill versions as well but, apparently, they don't do 27.5" versions of that one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thicker tubes only really help with pinch flats, anything sharp enough to go through a 0.9mm will go through a 1.2mm as well.

If it installs OK, it will be fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thicker tubes are only really necessary for alpine downhill riding. The will work fine in a 2.1 tyre but are really overkill and heavy.
    I only run 2.0-2.2 tubes in my 2.5" downhill tyres with no problems, even on really rocky DH tracks like Antur Stiniog and Gawton.