Ricco angry after 7 hour CIRC testimony brings no reduction

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited December 2014 in Pro race
He's upset but perhaps this is the reason?
“I wouldn't make the same mistakes that I made. I wouldn't dope, or I'd at least do it differently.

Article here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-d ... -as-a-joke

Comments

• Brilliant! what a final line! He is the gift that keeps on giving.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • I think we can guess why he didn't get a reduction.
    So dumb, he can't help being honest.
    Unlike Beefsteak Boy who is as far removed from honest as Ricco is from returning to racing.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,734
    So is the final line a mistranslation or a joke?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    It's like a jailed bank robber going up before the parole board and saying 'my bank robbing days are over, from here on I'm limiting myself to petrol stations'.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    So is the final line a mistranslation or a joke?

I did wonder that - difference between 'do it differently' and 'do things differently'. Then again, it's Ricco so all bets are off really tbh.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Maybe he should get a job as a rocket scientist
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,308
    Joelsim wrote:
    Maybe he should get a job as a rocket scientist
    “I wouldn't make the same mistakes that I made. I wouldn't try and run it on knock-off diesel I got from a bloke down the pub, or I'd at least do it differently.”
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • With the today's other breaking news, it looks as if he has a point about CIRC.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Sounds to me like the difference between appearing repentant or not to some degree.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    With the today's other breaking news, it looks as if he has a point about CIRC.

And what might that point be? Their job is to investigate and report, not to grant absolution. Did Dick Marty hand out pardons while he was investigating war crimes?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,585
    mm1 wrote:

And what might that point be? Their job is to investigate and report, not to grant absolution. Did Dick Marty hand out pardons while he was investigating war crimes?

Comparing war crimes to doping?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The shade of Godwin haunts the thread....
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    mm1 wrote:

Not at all, but presumably Mr Marty was chosen as part of the CIRC panel for his ability and credibility as an investigator?As an aside Mr Marty is cited in Senator Feinstein's report into the activities of the CIA, which again suggests that he may have some weight. Don't really get writing off the CIRC before it has even reported. Guess that waiting to see doesn't fit with the "UCI is corrupt, Cookson is worse than McQuaid" nonsense that some people are so keen to believe.
  • mm1 wrote:
    mm1 wrote:

Not at all, but presumably Mr Marty was chosen as part of the CIRC panel for his ability and credibility as an investigator?As an aside Mr Marty is cited in Senator Feinstein's report into the activities of the CIA, which again suggests that he may have some weight. Don't really get writing off the CIRC before it has even reported. Guess that waiting to see doesn't fit with the "UCI is corrupt, Cookson is worse than McQuaid" nonsense that some people are so keen to believe.

You seem to have grasped the wrong end of the stick.
    In no way was my post a criticism of what CIRC are about. My point being that if Santa, who has no been caught re-offending even before his return, got a ban reduction, it is understandable that Ricco is a bit miffed.
    Possibly a case of the less honest, or more guarded one, if you prefer, getting the reward.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    From that CN piece
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ricco-d ... -as-a-joke
    Italian not allowed a cut in his ban despite speaking for seven hours

Jeez, they earn their money don't they, these commissioners ?

Fancy having to listed to Ricco speaking for seven hours :roll: