AVid DB3 rubbing.

bruce225
bruce225 Posts: 129
edited December 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Tried a search but could be getting further away from my problem.

Just got my new bike(Boardman Team)not even ridden it yet but when I spin the rear wheel the brakes are rubbing, should I wear them in and secondly no matter how much I try to adjust the caliper the rotor is always sat against the inner most pad(one closer to wheel) and can only see the outer pad moving to the disc is that normal.

Watched a few Youtube videos and these guys seem to align calipers then silence on spinning wheel.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Have been and bedded them in yet?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bruce225
    No only just got it,

Didn't want to take it out for a ride and destroy pads or bend rotor or anything bad just in case I need to take it back to the dreaded Halfords and they blame me...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like it's normal pre bedding in, go ride it. A little rubbing is normal anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bruce225
    Thought they would be more movement/adjustment on the rear caliper seems to be pretty strict on adjustment sideways..there is on the front concave washers etc.

Last mountain bike I owned years ago with Hope hydraulics had lots of washers for fine tunning both front and back.
  • The Rookie
    You need to make sure the caliper is centred, no need for washers for that as it slides a long way each way (only way to centre an IS mount is with washers), I'm not a fan of ten conical washers which need tightening careful to make sure the caliper doesn't twist as you do so.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bruce225
    Well sorted the brakes but kid you not even without the pads in the caliper could only just about adjust it with out catching the rotor.

It seems to me the top mounting hole on the caliper is round compared to the bottom which is more elongated so I've got side to side movement at the bottom but none at the top.Don't know if there all like that or I've got a poorly made one.
  • The Rookie
    Photo? Should be elongated the same.
  • bruce225
    The Rookie wrote:
    Photo? Should be elongated the same.

After spending ages to stop them rubbing last thing I want to do is take them apart again for a photo but when it comes to pad changing time will come back to this thread.

But like I mentioned earlier in the thread there was hardly any movement to centralize them, after reading lots of threads about people struggling to line up with what seems simple instructions and videos, I'm beginning to think maybe other people might have similar issues.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The only people who have loads of brake issues are those who fiddle with them continually.
    Go and ride them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools