The Importance of Being Seen

cadseen
cadseen Posts: 170
edited January 2015 in Commuting general
Just saw this ...

Proviz Launch Interactive Cycling Video - ‘Out of the Dark ‘

Proviz have teamed up with ad agency AMV BBDO, the UK’s most awarded creative agency, and digital studio Caviar Digital to create ‘Out of the Dark’, an interactive experience that highlights the importance of being seen at night for a cyclist.

The video, which follows a cyclist riding home from work in the dark, invites the viewer to click on screen to see what the cyclist looks like when using a Proviz REFLECT360 and when not, with very different experiences and outcomes.

Proviz co-Founder Anthony Langly-Smith comments ‘Most cyclists understand the importance of being seen when cycling at night, but many cyclists are riding with little or no reflective material. The video highlights the Proviz REFLECT360 cycling jacket, which is made exclusively from reflective material and has been in high demand this winter. We hope viewers will play around with the video and share it with friends and family so that as many cyclists as possible are aware of the safety benefits of being seen at night.’

As part of Proviz’s commitment to cycle safety, for every REFLECT360 jacket purchased through the video, Proviz will donate £5 to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents.

Michael Corley, RoSPA’s Head of Campaigns and Fundraising, said: “Cycling at night can be a risky business – so it’s really important that cyclists do all they can to be seen by other road users.
Proviz’s REFLECT360 jacket is a great way to increase visibility in the dark – while also raising awareness of our charity’s vital work, because £5 from the sale of each jacket will go towards our mission to save lives and reduce injuries.”

The video is best viewed on a desktop at http://www.outofthedark.tv or watch the trailer at http://youtu.be/BhFO4ilb9dg

Comments

• couple of points...

1. the video is made by proviz, so will naturally show it in the best light (fair enough)
    2. the guy has a virtually non existant rear light - high viz will never replace that
    3. only works when lights are shining on it. Most cyclists aren't hit from behind or from the front (when headlights would be shining on them) but rather from the side at junctions/side roads etc - high viz dont help here as car lights hit it too late, strong bike lights and appropriate road positioning would

Having said that it's a great advancement, it definaetly is useful and I hope they develop some different versions (breathable and slimmer for a start) plus some rucksack covers and so on? I've got the impression from initial reviews on here that it's a bit of a sweatbox if you put any effort in which is why I mentioned breathability
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227

Having said that it's a great advancement, it definaetly is useful and I hope they develop some different versions (breathable and slimmer for a start) plus some rucksack covers and so on? I've got the impression from initial reviews on here that it's a bit of a sweatbox if you put any effort in which is why I mentioned breathability

They do also make bag covers, rucksacks, vests and gilets in the Reflect 360 range.

I was tempted by the cycle jacket, but also heard it's somewhat of a boil in the bag affair.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:

They do also make bag covers, rucksacks, vests and gilets in the Reflect 360 range.

I was tempted by the cycle jacket, but also heard it's somewhat of a boil in the bag affair.

hmmm interesting, I thought they'd only done the rucksack so far. Do I need it/would I use it....?

Would like to see it in a shop to see how much of a faff it is to put on and take off, otherwise it'll be a waste of money (they mention straps and press studs...dont wanna spend time at the start and end of my journey with extra faff)
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    That was disappointing I thought it was going to be an Oscar Wilde sequel.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    CitizenLee wrote:

hmmm interesting, I thought they'd only done the rucksack so far. Do I need it/would I use it....?

Would like to see it in a shop to see how much of a faff it is to put on and take off, otherwise it'll be a waste of money (they mention straps and press studs...dont wanna spend time at the start and end of my journey with extra faff)

That's what would put me off using any bag cover to be honest, although as you you say would be good to try it first. My local Halfords sell the Reflect 360 jackets but none of the other products unfortunately. Bigger stores might though.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I use a cover and the straps crossover under the arm straps. You can un-clip one side and pull the cover out of the way to get to the rucksack contents. It's not really inconvenient and adds a layer of water protection.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I use a cover and the straps crossover under the arm straps. You can un-clip one side and pull the cover out of the way to get to the rucksack contents. It's not really inconvenient and adds a layer of water protection.

i have the bag cover on my xmas list as it seems fairly straight forward. a tiny bit of faff is worthwhile i think for the level of visability it gives and the waterproofing element is defo welcome in winter/spring!
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    I have a reflective ruck sack and a rear see sense. If they don't see me they shouldn't be driving.