Ideas for a place to stop in South Surrey / Sussex

2_tyred_itai
2_tyred_itai Posts: 53
Hi, I'm planning a ride during the Xmas week/weekend from SW London down to Uckfield where some relatives live. Since the distance, which will be about 55 miles, will be slightly longer than I've done for a while and will include some hills I'm looking to stop maybe twice for 15 mins for a breather, water top-up and possibly water 'evac'.

The route, which is not finalised, would take me past either Epsom or Leatherhead and down past East Grinstead for last 15 miles, so ideally good distances to stop would be between Epsom/Leatherhead and E Gristead and then in E Grinstead itself.

Obviously I'm looking for somewhere safe and cyclist friendly where I can do as mentioned above.

Can anyone with experience of riding in these areas suggest good spots for this, or have any advice/tips on stops in general?

Ta

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    There is Rykas cafe on the A24 which is at the foot of the box hill zig-zag which was on the Olympic Lap.
    The other option is Bockets Farm which is a little closer to Leatherhead, it just depends what your route is and what is open on the day.

Personally - if you think you need a break, due to your endurance ability I wouldn't stop for anything longer than 2 minutes. All taking a break does beyond that is give your muscles a chance to cool down and make it even harder to get moving again.

When I do big endurance rides (longer distances) I keep my breaks as short and infrequent as possible. You get a little slower/worse after every stop.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Rykas or the national trust cafe near the top of Box Hill. Both popular with cyclists - particularly the national trust cafe.

Not the Dabbling Duck in Shere (used to be the Lucky Duck?) - I waited an hour for a bacon sarnie there the other day.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Pilgrim cycles in Westhumble? If its all gone wrong its next to the train station!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Thanks, some great suggestions. I'll be looking into all of those.

To be honest I'm really looking to make sure the last 10 miles aren't a struggle and I won't be looking to beat any PBs, so I'll probably take 2 min breathers every 10 miles along the route and just stop once for a top up and chill. Last week I killed myself doing a 40 miler in 0 degrees Celsius with no stops whatsoever and don't want to repeat the same mistake.
  • menthel
    Another option is if you find yourself going through Peaslake the shop there have some nice vittles with which to refuel. There are often cyclists in and around the shop.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    diy wrote:

Personally - if you think you need a break, due to your endurance ability I wouldn't stop for anything longer than 2 minutes. All taking a break does beyond that is give your muscles a chance to cool down and make it even harder to get moving again.

How the feck can you order and eat a coffee and cake in 2 minutes?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Thanks. I will probably end up tailoring my route to include one of these places.

What's the deal with turning up with your bike to these different places? I don't want to have to take my hefty bike lock with me just so I can go and relieve myself or find some water...
  • menthel
    You should be fine with a cafe lock- its the most I have ever used when out at these places (and others).
    RIP commute...
  • menthel wrote:
    You should be fine with a cafe lock- its the most I have ever used when out at these places (and others).

Not heard of those. Got any examples? Is that the proper name if I search?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    diy wrote:
    When I do big endurance rides (longer distances) I keep my breaks as short and infrequent as possible. You get a little slower/worse after every stop.

When I do big endurance rides (longer distances) I keep my breaks as long and frequent as possible. You get a little slower/worse after every stop - but cake and tea is just too damned tasty. :wink:
  • menthel
    menthel wrote:

Not heard of those. Got any examples? Is that the proper name if I search?

A simple cable lock- the idea is to deter someone from just wandering off with an unlocked bike. You won't stop someone determined!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/cable-locks/
    RIP commute...
  • Thanks for the suggestion, although they are a bit expensive on Wiggle.
    So I ordered this just now:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/abu ... k-ec035755

Should fit nicely inside my frame bag
  • menthel
    Thanks for the suggestion, although they are a bit expensive on Wiggle.
    So I ordered this just now:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/abu ... k-ec035755

Should fit nicely inside my frame bag

No problem, enjoy your ride!
    RIP commute...
  • Ye old sandwich shoppe in shere is great -- awesome flap jacks & great sandwiches. I actually plan routes to pass there even if it means slogging back up Combe bottom or whitedown. May not be open around Xmas as family run. And it is small but you may be able to take your bike in. There is also a pub in shere -- as well as ones in peaslake & ewhurst & albury & st holmsbury & on leith hill -- so a number of potential stops. Towards e grinstead there's a great looking pub at the bottom of IDE hill. I popped in for a soda and the food looked awesome but didn't have time to stop.

There's tons of places in Epsom, including a tesco metro by the train station if you need something quick, -- but it is urban so I would be cautious about leaving the bike idle. In the small towns much less so. Leatherhead also has lots of restaurants on the Main Street -- I've only been to the gas station though.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Depending on your route and proximity to this place, try Bike Beans Café in Ashtead.
  • A lot of good sounding suggestions, thanks.

I think a few more rides in the not too distant future might be in order just to explore all these stops!
  • Me-109 wrote:
    Depending on your route and proximity to this place, try Bike Beans Café in Ashtead.

That looks perfect, actually set up for purpose! It's also slap bang en route by the looks of it!
  • Me-109 wrote:

That looks perfect, actually set up for purpose! It's also slap bang en route by the looks of it!

Doh, closed over Xmas & NY
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Hadn't looked at the opening times, sorry. Maybe pencil it in for a weekend ride instead?
  • Definitely. It could be the half way point on a 30-40 mile loop from where I am...
  • Me-109 wrote:

Doh, closed over Xmas & NY

It's open on 27th and 28th Dec. No doubt it'll be busy on 28th morning as they will be hosting a few group rides.
  • Ok will have to see what day I end up going.

However I've decided to include Bike Beans Cafe in a short loop this Sat pm! Looking forward to checking it out!

It says on the website that locks are available, so I'm looking to save the weight. Do they always have them in your experience?

Also, what do people recommend eating and drinking mid-ride that would refuel but not weigh down on the old digestion? Coffee and cake sounds lovely, but is it a good idea?
  • Ok will have to see what day I end up going.

However I've decided to include Bike Beans Cafe in a short loop this Sat pm! Looking forward to checking it out!

It says on the website that locks are available, so I'm looking to save the weight. Do they always have them in your experience?

Also, what do people recommend eating and drinking mid-ride that would refuel but not weigh down on the old digestion? Coffee and cake sounds lovely, but is it a good idea?

Good news - you'll like Bike Beans, very friendly and good cakes - I ride with them fairly frequently, even though it's 20km from home. Usually start with a small cappuccino and a slice of cake.

Re: locks - if you are parking your bike there while you eat/drink, you'll not need a lock - the bike park is actually the patio - so you can keep an eye on your bike. I've never seen anyone lock theirs. But to answer your question, yes they have a fair stock of bit n bobs inc locks to buy - I was there on Tuesday night and they had plenty of stuff on the shelves.
  • But to answer your question, yes they have a fair stock of bit n bobs inc locks to buy

No what I was refering to was the statement on their website "- Bike parking (locks provided)" in terms of having to take your own lock (e.g. for when going to the toilet or inside the shop etc.)
  • But to answer your question, yes they have a fair stock of bit n bobs inc locks to buy

No what I was refering to was the statement on their website "- Bike parking (locks provided)" in terms of having to take your own lock (e.g. for when going to the toilet or inside the shop etc.)

Ah! I see! I was answering a different question :D

TBH I don't know, I've never seen anyone lock a bike there! Maybe given them a ring - they are open till Sunday.

Hope to see you there one day....
  • Well yesterday I received my lightweight Abus lock, so I'll pack it just for the first time as it won't make much difference. If I need it then just as well, if not no dramas.

Yes, hope to see you there someday. As I said, I'm planning to go this Sat pm, but if you want to keep an eye out any other time, I'm the one with a Celeste coloured Bianchi.

Cheers for all the advice
  • Well I went to Bike Beans Cafe on Saturday and loved it.

Very welcoming indeed. Had a brief chat with the owner, Jamie, who was very friendly and even offered to refill my flask before I left. Nice to know there are some MAMIL friendly places like that.

It's in a good location for inclusion in loops of all sizes, and also en route to W Sussex. He said they're open after the 27th so that'll be a good stop for my ride in the days after that.

Thanks for the recommendation!
  • No problem, glad you enjoyed it!

I rode with Jamie and a couple of others yesterday:

http://www.strava.com/activities/231425367

This was my first ride with the Intermediate group - I just about hung on - previously I've been with the Developers, but there weren't any yesterday. If you are on Facebook, they publish all their group rides and things there -

https://www.facebook.com/Bikebeans

Next one for me is probably Sunday 28th - then maybe 31st if I can swing the day off work.

hope to see you soon
  • That looks like a hilly ride!

I'd def be up for that kind of thing, but like you I'd probably start with the Developers. I'll keep an eye on that link.

Jamie also said they're talking of organising one to visit the 5 or so bike cafes in the general area, though going by the locations it sounds like a 100 miler at least...
  • Developers ride at 10am tomorrow if you're interested.