Nottingham commuters, advice please.

fatsmoker
fatsmoker Posts: 585
edited January 2015 in Commuting general
Coming through Clifton into Nottingham, is there a cycle path over Clifton bridge towards the QMC? If not, what's the best route? Thank you.

Comments

• I don't enter Nottingham that way myself i'm afraid but could google street view offer any help in lack of other posters?
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • this would seem to indicate that there is a cycle path (key)
  • If it's the flyover you're on about then there is a cycle path to the left side of it as you're heading from Clifton towards QMC. You get onto it via a ramp that accessed by taking the exit just before the flyover starts. Just go past the petrol station and it's thereabouts (well signposted). To get across to the QMC side I think you can exit the flyover and go underneath to the park and ride and presumably cross there somewhere. Alternatively you can stick to the side you're on and get across further up.
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!
  • Cheers. I was worried that the tram works might have left the cycle provision in disarray, but it hadn't. Quite an easy ride in actually. Not pleasant, but easy, and the girls in the office thought I was awesome for cycling 10 miles. :)
  • There is a cycle lane over the Trent at the Clifton Boulevard if that's what you mean. (Lenton lane / Queens drive bit) I go that way when I extend the normal ride home to 16 - 18 miles.

There is a Strava segment over the bridge...

As you come down the other side, there is a path to the right under the road that takes you to the Park and Ride, you can get across to the the QMC from there I think.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    My normal commute. Yes, there's a cycle track over Clifton bridge (as you seem to have found out).

Word to the wise: the council don't bother gritting it and the surface is a mess irrespective of the "danger" signs they've put up. Reminds me, I need to complain to them again since they seem to have ignored my previous report.

As has been said, you can either cross under Clifton bridge towards the P&R and then hop along Clifton Blvd or you can stay on the side you cross where you can continue up past the cinema. You can then cross at the next roundabout across towards QMC or you can continue up to QMC island and go right there.

Strava segments you say? :D
  • Hang on... your location is Leicestershire. Which way are you coming in? I'm thinking that you're coming in via Gotham?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • patrickf
    Hang on... your location is Leicestershire. Which way are you coming in? I'm thinking that you're coming in via Gotham?
    Well he said "coming through Clifton" so probably.
  • Well yeah but it depends on where in Leicestershire, cos you could cut through Long Eaton and avoid that side altogether, or head towards the A60 and Ruddington. I just don't like the stretch from Gotham to Clifton, especially as it's a real rat run at the moment
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • patrickf
    Well yeah but it depends on where in Leicestershire, cos you could cut through Long Eaton and avoid that side altogether, or head towards the A60 and Ruddington. I just don't like the stretch from Gotham to Clifton, especially as it's a real rat run at the moment
    The A60 isn't exactly pleasant either though. Ruddington Lane to/from Wilford is fine if you ignore all the angry drivers (should be on the shared use path, innit!?)

We really need more bridges over the Trent. Can't believe there's no way over between the M1 and Clifton bridge.
  • It was just the one trip for some one off work, through Gotham and Clifton. I wasn't sure about the cycle path and where to access it on Clifton bridge, especially with the tram works going on. The one-off trip is now done, so this thread can now die peacefully. :-)
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I have been giving consideration to commuting Tuesday to Thursday from the beginning of March, the commute would be about 21 miles from home in South Wingfield to my office which is near the Experian Building. Does anyone do a similar route and is 21 miles (42 round trip) a bit too far? Not sure how my average speed would be affected but if I was to do a similar route (in terms of elevation profile) I'd be 18mph+. I wouldn't be weighed down with bags, it'd just be me and the bike as I'd leave everything I need at work on the Monday, take it all home Friday. Thoughts appreciated.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    That's quite a distance, but many people on here do similarevery day. I guess you don't have to do it as you have other options on Mon & Fri. I find the 3rd day of a 32 mile RT quite painful and leaves me in no state to do a karate class, so I drive half way with the bike and cycle the 16 mile RT on those days, leaving the car either at a pub or in front of a house (I checked with the owner). Possibly an option for you, if you can find a friendly landlord in Ilkeston or Awesworth
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    As always it's time in the saddle more than distance, and in your case: at least you'll be the fastest thing on the A610 if you choose that route ;)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X