Astana get 2015 licence.

2»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    To paraphrase my old boss, can you give me 5 examples of where the UCI have made up or changed the rules to suit them in the past 18 months?

Thanks.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Here's a crazy prediction (based on absolutely nothing other than my own imagination)

This investigation results in several bans, including a lengthy one for Vino. Without their pin-up boy the Kazakh backers decide to pull the plug. The team is saved from total collapse by their bike sponsors Specialized who take over the licence and make major changes, including - thanks to their long standing relationship with McLaren - bringing on board Fernando Alonso.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    Here's a crazy prediction (based on absolutely nothing other than my own imagination)

This investigation results in several bans, including a lengthy one for Vino. Without their pin-up boy the Kazakh backers decide to pull the plug. The team is saved from total collapse by their bike sponsors Specialized who take over the licence and make major changes, including - thanks to their long standing relationship with McLaren - bringing on board Fernando Alonso.

Another with connections to Ferrari. Tsk.
  • Europcar also had their licence refused due to having insufficient funding.

Their own fault for not being on the juice and getting more wins.

........which is effectively what the UCI are saying.

Nice one. :roll:
  • joelsim
    "We have demonstrated that we are working correctly"

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/astan ... r_license/

This chap has never been implicated in anything, ever, by anyone, especially not Tyler.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    "We have demonstrated that we are working correctly"

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/astan ... r_license/

This chap has never been implicated in anything, ever, by anyone, especially not Tyler.
    But he used to be the doctor's representative on the MPCC management committee. Therefore he's beyond reproach. It's impossible that any of those self-appointed moral guardians of the MPCC management could ever have been up to their neck in it. Not even the one that was Vino's first boss and got arrested during Festina and certainly not the one that CONI tried to ban for four years.
  • B4hmiX4IMAAJlni.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nibali now stating that there are worse people on other teams but won't name them.

Has anything changed? The TdF winner knows of dopers or people worse than Vino???

Confused and disgusted.

Cookson needs to act now.
  • RichN95.
    Ginsterdrz wrote:
    Nibali now stating that there are worse people on other teams but won't name them.

Has anything changed? The TdF winner knows of dopers or people worse than Vino???
    Well Ekimov is still Ekimov and Riis is still Riis. But their type aren't as common as they used to be. Many people in management may have doped back in the day, but few of them facilitate it now.

NIbali's hardly going to say "We're the baddest team out there", is he? He wants to deflect attention elsewhere.
  • There’s Mafia in Sicily, as in the rest of the world, but that doesn’t mean we’re all gangsters

-Nibali
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Ginsterdrz wrote:
    Nibali now stating that there are worse people on other teams but won't name them.

Well Ekimov is still Ekimov and Riis is still Riis. But their type aren't as common as they used to be. Many people in management may have doped back in the day, but few of them facilitate it now.

NIbali's hardly going to say "We're the baddest team out there", is he? He wants to deflect attention elsewhere.

Although it's a bit rich, Rich.
    Claiming to know about dopers on other teams while at the same time claiming no knowledge of dopers on his own team.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    I don't know why anyone is worried, the UCI have played a master stroke on this.

Final warning issued
    Not CAS legal fees
    Plenty more evidence to examine and use
    Procedure followed
    Audit to be carried out paid for by Astana
    Astana know they are in last chance saloon and know they will be tested and tested again
    No knee-jerk reactions and time to think properly
    They know the public is clamouring
    They know the journalists are on it

Well done is what I say. Astana are done for in their current form.
  • Cookson interview with cyclingnews:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/exc ... nce-saloon
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim

Not often I like your posts Frenchie
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Joelsim wrote:
    I don't know why anyone is worried, the UCI have played a master stroke on this.

Final warning issued
    Not CAS legal fees
    Procedure followed
    Astana know they are in last chance saloon and know they will be tested and tested again

This is straight up the best comment I've seen anywhere about the current situation. Cookson and Martin Gibbs are no fools.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Forum implodes
  • joelsim
    coriordan wrote:
    Forum implodes

:lol:
  • mm1 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Final warning issued
    Not CAS legal fees
    Procedure followed

This is straight up the best comment I've seen anywhere about the current situation. Cookson and Martin Gibbs are no fools.

The problem is - We've seen/heard it all before. If they are doing all the UCI think they are doing why give them a second chance? Like I said same old same old...
  • mm1
    Overlord2 wrote:
    mm1 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Final warning issued
    Not CAS legal fees
    Procedure followed

The problem is - We've seen/heard it all before. If they are doing all the UCI think they are doing why give them a second chance? Like I said same old same old...

Because if they don't follow their own current rules they will be taken to CAS and lose.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Read the Cookson link FF posted. It's all quite clearly explained by Cookson there.
  • joelsim
    Overlord2 wrote:
    mm1 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Final warning issued
    Not CAS legal fees
    Procedure followed

Hands are tied. The way they have done it should work far better. Cookson also makes it very clear that it is last chance saloon and I believe that he will do it.
  • mm1
    Look at the wider context. New WADA code in January; UCI already committed to that. CIRC reporting in the New Year, UCI committed to being open about what the CIRC reports and to acting on its recommendations. Cookson has been very careful to rebuild the UCI's relationship with WADA, has introduce a clear seperation of powers on anti-doping and licensing (and in other areas), and to develop a consultative and consensual approach to the governance of the sport. What we won't see is any more arbitrary decision making (or cover ups) behind closed doors. What we are seeing now may be painful, but it should be worth it in the end.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    This ^.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Spot on. Cookson's leadership can be clearly distinguished from McQuaid's on so many levels.

For me the most promising bit of the Cookson interview was when he talked about having the right tools. He's absolutely right. Having the right tools, for any job, is vital. The governance of the sport will be far better if Cookson makes this his priority. McQuaid simply ignored the problem by weilding his executive power, mostly in a desperately reactionary and arbitrary manor.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    iainf72 wrote:

Good stuff indeed.

I've been banging on about auditable standards for ages. Personally I'd prefer to see a tiered approach though, with the option of gaining an advantage (e.g. extra UCI points) for stepping up to a higher level. Otherwise the risk is that the extra bureaucracy functions as a barrier to starting a team (or moving up to world tour) and the standards get watered down to compensate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    We gonna get sued - http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/12/vinok ... al-action/

I don't mean this in the glib teenage way, but genuinely, Vino really does not get it, as in he really does not understand that he has done anything that is wrong.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    ddraver wrote:
    We gonna get sued - http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/12/vinok ... al-action/

I don't mean this in the glib teenage way, but genuinely, Vino really does not get it, as in he really does not understand that he has done anything that is wrong.

Another possibilty is that he gets it very much, and his comments were for a different audience altogether. I wouldn't be surprised either way tbh.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • joelsim
    Shades of Lance, going on the offensive. He probably knows they are doomed
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!