Merida Ride 93 Carbon.

PLuKE
PLuKE Posts: 181
edited December 2014 in Your road bikes
Well I have had my first road bike the Merida Ride 93 carbon for just over 2 months, and really love cycling! I was really unfit for a 27yr old, but my fitness has come better, and lost of few pounds and back I to my 32inch jeans!

Anyway, here are a few pictures in order of when I first bought it, and a few changes have been made, Helo tape in prone stonechipping area. played with seat angle and height, and the hoods, stem and spacers, I like how I am on the bike and feel pretty low but comfortable, I fitted some Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tyres around 1.5 months ago, and they made a big difference compared to the standard fitment tyres.

This week I bought some Campagnolo Scirocco 35 wheelset, and couldn't really feel in the hand the weight saved compared to the Alexrims Race 24 with Tiagra hubs that came with the bike, but on the road there is a big improvement, can cruise at a higher speed easier and longer. And somebody who I ride with commented. Also the amount of cleaning I do on it, I think helps shave paint thickness!

Thanks
Luke

7D34C435-15E4-4A79-B0B2-D703086D2221.jpg

EC9AA820-5430-470C-989E-979FE94DD395.jpg

7D34C435-15E4-4A79-B0B2-D703086D2221.jpg

CFE67D2E-2A21-4C82-94EA-9892ADF86FC1.jpg

F53A9498-4022-4250-B4C0-7EC4F9DB69D0.jpg
2013 Merida Ride 93 Carbon

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    It looks a nice bike. Is it set up right for you? The saddle is level with the bars but if that's how you like it and you are comfy on it fair enough.
    Hope you enjoy your rides :)
  • PLuKE
    Thanks

I think so? What seems to be wrong with the setup? I keep learning

Feels good, nice and fitted into the bike and seem to "feel" aero'ish position.

Luke
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Looks great.
    Wheels work well on that

Matt
  • diamonddog
    PLuKE wrote:
    Thanks

Luke
    Normally with a sloping top tube there is a drop to the bars from the saddle.
    If you do a Google search there is lots of info on bike set up (saddle position etc) but as I said if you are comfy and happy on it then it's right for you.
    This link may help with set up advice.
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store ... orBike.jsp
  • PLuKE
    I can't have the seat any higher and there are no spacers left to remove. I have moved the hoods further down also, seems to fit me well and comfortable aswell.

Here is a better picture?

491B0E27-2B4B-4B5C-885F-AE367E57BC44.jpg
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I am really liking the look of Merida atm. They seem to be quite anonymous on the market. Shame as they look wonderful. Especially like the team colours from Lampre Merida pro team
  • diamonddog
    Can see it far better now with a bigger picture, lovely bike and set up looks fine. Have fun with it. :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    diamonddog wrote:
    PLuKE wrote:
    Thanks

Luke
    Normally with a sloping top tube there is a drop to the bars from the saddle.

I cannot see how the angle of the top tube has anything to do with the drop from the saddle to the bars - it's just not relevant!

Normally, saddle height near bar height just means the rider has relatively short legs.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • diamonddog
    Please read my other post above re set up, perhaps I didn't explain it correctly in the first case. :roll:
  • PLuKE
    Thanks.

I have a new FSA carbon stem, SRAM apex callipers and Vredestein Latex tubes on order :D

Luke
  • diamonddog
    I have Apex calipers one one my bikes and Force on the other, TBH I cannot tell the difference between them, both are very good IME. :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    PLuKE wrote:
    Thanks.

I have a new FSA carbon stem, SRAM apex callipers and Vredestein Latex tubes on order :D

Luke

I'd return the stem if I were you. Carbon doesn't make for great stems - you pay a lot for them (usually) and they aren't even any lighter than a decent alloy stem*. The only point to them is if you need them to match your carbon bars........

*unless of course it isn't carbon at all but carbon wrap on alloy in which case it's just about the bling!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • PLuKE
    diamonddog wrote:
    I have Apex calipers one one my bikes and Force on the other, TBH I cannot tell the difference between them, both are very good IME. :)

Oh really? I am currently using Merida own branded callipers which seem under powered! And really no confidence.

£37 for the pair of SRAM Apex.

Luke
  • PLuKE
    Rolf F wrote:
    PLuKE wrote:
    Thanks.

Luke

I'd return the stem if I were you. Carbon doesn't make for great stems - you pay a lot for them (usually) and they aren't even any lighter than a decent alloy stem*. The only point to them is if you need them to match your carbon bars........

*unless of course it isn't carbon at all but carbon wrap on alloy in which case it's just about the bling!

I was just replacing it for alittle bling factor, it's alloy/carbon wrapped, and I think on par weight wise as my current standard kit stem.

Thanks for the advice though!

Luke
  • diamonddog
    PLuKE wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:

Oh really? I am currently using Merida own branded callipers which seem under powered! And really no confidence.

£37 for the pair of SRAM Apex.

Luke
    I would definitely get them never had a problem with mine. IMO the look and weight differences are the main things between Apex & Force.
  • PLuKE
    Well, few small upgrades.

3T aeronova handlebars,
    Removed the spacers from the stem
    Fizik Antares R1
    Campagnolo calipers
    Latex innertubes
    Campag Bullet 80 wheelset.

Next, Ultegra gearing!

Just a quick pictures.

24D8B3AB-ED84-416F-9402-83758ECBF5E6.jpg
  • PLuKE
    Few pictures from this weekends ride.

Felt great, quicker, smoother, and make a nice noise. But today was alittle breezy so the bike does get blown around alittle.

E6E4A9FD-55DE-480B-B23B-72C30172953A.jpg

298068B1-D281-4929-AF63-3DF8A20B8BDE.jpg
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Nice bike Luke, though I preferred it with the Scirocco 35 wheels, does it have endurance geometry, it looks like it has a tallish headtube?