Fuelling longer rides.

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited December 2014 in Road beginners
Sorry if this has been covered before, I did a search for other threads.

I reckon the only thing stopping me cycling further is coming up with a plan to keep fuelled during the ride. On my furthest ride (56 miles) I'm pretty certain I bonked at it's now acting like a phycological barrier.

I've experimented with taking gels every hour, but I still hit a wall at the end of one marathon that I ran.

What do people eat while on a long ride... Jelly Babies ? An entire Malt Loaf ?
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I just use museli bars and water which works fine for me riding on or off road for several hours if needed. Then a chocolate milk shake afterwards which stops my legs aching after longer, harder rides, no idea why but it works. I would just experiment to see what suits your body.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You don't need gels. You can handle proper food on a bike. Get a bento box and you can have what you fancy. A gel is only around 100 calories anyway. I have an energy drink and then flapjacks or similar.
  • Psychology (to a certain extent), conditioning and fitness play a role here, as does your nutrition overall (if you have a bad diet, your energy levels will obviously suffer). As your efficiency and fat burning improve (and they will if you train right), you will be able to manage longer distances/durations (40-60 miles) without extra carbohydrates (food or drink), or fasted (before breakfast) - at a moderate pace; and I feel that this is a valuable part of a training programme. However, that's not what you're asking.

In terms of what to eat? Personally I'm an advocate of 'real food' - gels and such are convenience food for racing. A banana or two, dates, a bit of flapjack maybe, should be plenty for a ride of that duration, particularly if you aren't riding at race pace. Listen to your body, but don't be tempted to stuff your face - you may feel the urge to eat, but that doesn't always mean that you actually need to. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water.
  • ben@31
    Do others cycle long rides non-stop in a oner (eating whats stuffed in back of your jersey) or do you break a long ride down into legs by stopping for coffee and cake ?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Non-stop for 100 mile rides and less. If it's an organised event with food stops, I may choose to use their provided food stops to negate the need to carry stuff. I'd only use coffee stops on a social ride.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    ben@31 wrote:
    Do others cycle long rides non-stop in a oner (eating whats stuffed in back of your jersey) or do you break a long ride down into legs by stopping for coffee and cake ?

There is little point in going for a long ride unless it involves coffee and cake. :D
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    I never stop.
    A half banana per hour does it for me.

Coffee and cake is for old women at home.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Always cake.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,847
    Over 56 miles I would probably not each much, if anything. I'd carry a gel and a cereal bar for emergencies but would start the ride with a belly full of muesli.

If I knew I was going to do a longer ride I'd carry a banana and may eat a cereal bar but would prefer to stop for cake/coffee/bacon roll.

Gels are a real last resort.
  • For a number of months I've been using High5 EnergySource 4:1 Drink Mix, two bottles/mixes per ride and I've generally found the following to true based on my fitness;

Up to 50 Miles, Hard Ride = Nothing Required
    Up to 60 Miles, Hard Ride = Nothing Required, can start hitting the wall pretty hard around 60 miles
    Up to 80/90 Miles, High Tempo = Typically 1 to 2 Gels after the 70/80% stage
    Upwards of 80/90 Miles depending of riding = Bar early on, within three hours of ride followed by gels as and when
    Full Day Moderate/Tempo = Perhaps something of substance at a cafe stop

It will be interesting to see what happens going in to the colder weather as I will not consume so many fluids, so may have to figure out when to have a gel/bar in the coming weeks against the summer months.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I've experimented with taking gels every hour, but I still hit a wall at the end of one marathon that I ran.

What do people eat while on a long ride... Jelly Babies ? An entire Malt Loaf ?
    As one of our more enlightened contributors on here once said, gels & energy bars are the cycling equivalent of seat belts & airbags - useful to have in reserve for emergencies but not something to rely on.

Let's assume that you start off your rides well fed & watered; a decent breakfast is a pre-requisite so something like porridge or weetabix is a good start; cocoa pops and other types of sugar coated air isn't.

Any ride up to 2 hours doesn't need additional fuel.

Over & above that it's better to take on something with carbs & proteins, so a cheese or jam sandwich is as good as anything. I've found that a 100 miler is nicely broken at about 70 miles with a stop at a convenient shop for milk & a sandwich + a bar of chocolate, then carry on. Nibbling on a bag of nuts or jelly babies through the ride is enough to keep going.

Most energy gels & bars usually come along for the ride then end up back in the bottom drawer at home afterwards.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,847
    CiB wrote:
    Most energy gels & bars usually come along for the ride then end up back in the bottom drawer at home afterwards.

I'm still carrying a few gels obtained for "free" at the 2012 Caledonian Etape. One of these days I'll eat it and probably be ill!
  • Im getting to a stage now where i can ride anything up to about 60/70 miles without much food.

I would not have been able to do this a year ago and found that even rides of 30-40 miles i was getting hungry and feeling tired and hitting the wall etc... So i think conditioning is a big part of it both mentally and physically

Personally i find it difficult to eat huge amounts of real food when riding so i really quite heavily on getting energy from carb drinks and the odd gel. A 750ml bottle of Torq per 90 mins can keep me going on most rides and i will always carry a couple of gels and a cliff bar if i start to get hungry.

For me it is essential I eat well the night before
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    edited November 2014
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    Im getting to a stage now where i can ride anything up to about 60/70 miles without much food.

I would not have been able to do this a year ago and found that even rides of 30-40 miles i was getting hungry and feeling tired and hitting the wall etc... So i think conditioning is a big part of it both mentally and physically

Your body becomes more efficient at storing and using fuel as you do more endurance riding.

When I first started distance riding, I would eat like a pig at every possible opportunity - every 40-50 miles for sure.

Nowadays, it amazes me how far my body can go on how little. I've done 200km rides on just one or two flapjack bars, especially in summer. But I wouldn't advise someone who is a beginner to try and ride without eating much. Having to take on lots of fuel when you are starting out isn't uncommon and is nothing to overly worry about. This time of year, you will start to have to take on even more fuel as your body burns more trying to stay warm.

Little and often is best - and solid food like flapjack bars etc. are going to help train your body to become more efficient over long rides. I also like savoury solid foods on the road - babybell cheeses, sausages etc.!

Gels have their place in competitive riding and as a last-resort emergency injection of energy. There's plenty of marketing bollocks and psuedo-science out there and energy products can be useful in the circumstances I mention, however, the vast majority of us are going out for what used to be known as a bike ride and there's really no need for spending money on energy products. Coffee and cake and talking crap with your mates at a nice cafe - now that is worth spending money on no matter what the hard men on here might think.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You had it just about right in your opening post. Malt loaf and jelly babies would be an excellent choice.

If I'm doing a long ride, and for me that's anything over 50 miles, I'll start out with a large bowl of porridge. During the ride I choose fig rolls since they are not as sticky as malt loaf, and take a bite every 30 mins or so, followed by a couple of jelly babies. Drink is just squash with a pinch of salt. If I pace myself properly I can keep going like that indefinitely. Sometimes if I'm going to be out all day I'll put the saddlebag on and take some sandwiches etc for a proper roadside picnic. In the winter I sometimes take a flask of sweetened tea!
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    I usually take a gel out with me, and then bring it home and put in the cupboard till the next ride. I've got one gel I must have taken out over 20 times.

As above a decent meal the night before and a healthy breakfast, I prefer porridge, will provide a good base. I quite often don't eat anything on rides up to 50 miles, but on other occasions will stop for tea and cake. I think its important to take something you enjoy eating - quite often energy products aren't the most pleasant things to eat or drink. I sometimes take cereal bars and use a mix of fruit juice and water in my bottle.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Soreen.
  • ben@31
    Keezx wrote:
    A half banana per hour does it for me.

Is that a measurement of speed? :D
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    I find it's more related to height climbed than distance covered, plus temperature, that dictates what and how much I need to eat. I reckon a banana per 1500m climbed is about right. If it is cold and wet (especially wet) then I need more. Jelly babies are great, as they are light and easy to eat no matter how you feel. Plus (I'm scottish) a bag of jelly babies lasts 5 rides and costs £1, a gel .... a fortune.
    I have noticed that men seem to need to eat and drink way more than my sister or I do - some sort of physiology difference?
    And what is the point if there is no cafe/bar stop at the end?
  • These threads come up all the time and so do the stock answers ranging from the self-proclaimed ‘hard men’ who claim to eat nothing but the plaque off their teeth and drink the sweat from their brow on most rides up to 100 miles while averaging 22mph over a hills and dales to the riders who stop for cake/coffee after 10 miles. There are general rules for fuelling on the ride which can be easily found on the internet but there are people who will say that those general rules are wrong and that their general rules are right. Just make sure you have fed well on good slow release carbs at least 2hrs before your ride and take something with you for back up – preferably a fast acting food be it Jelly Babies or a gel if you’re that way inclined instead of another slow release thing. The latter is good for longer rides and mixed with the former should see you through for long distances.
  • A carton of squeezable honey and half a teaspoon of salt in your cordial drink. Away you go!

I got recommended this method from an experienced local rider. Honey for energy and the salt keeps the cramp at bay!

After months of stocking up n gels, energy bars, drinks ££'s and really my method has really improved my rides. Plus the cash I've saved I can spend on the bike!
  • To a certain degree there's no point asking anyone what their fuelling regimes are on any given ride, as all food/gels/drinks react differently with different people. Some are real heroes and can do 200 miles on no drink and 1 Jelly Baby and some need a whole picnic before they have hit the 10 mile mark.

It's pure trial and error. As you have said i would look at when you think you 'bonk' and then work back from there. Did you eat breakfast that day? did you drink that morning? when was the last time you took on fluids or food/gels before you bonked? Break it down and then try a few things out.

Remember that things like gels and carb based drinks hit your system quicker than real food and also get digested quicker, but the down side is they don't tend to provide a long lasting source of energy as opposed to real food.

So if you bonk at (for example) the 2hr mark, then work back from that and try eating a banana 30 minutes beforehand. This will allow for the digestion by the body and then the kick you will get from it energy wise. An energy gel would kick in 15 minutes max for a bit of an energy buzz (which is why they are advised before a big hill climb).

Personally i always get a better energy kick from real food but even then I've had to try things out. Bananas work great for me, flapjacks and bars like Cliff Bars are ok but Jelly Babys (which i love any other time) only made me feel sick, Jaffa cakes were messy and some energy bars just too chewy or sickly. Gels I've found don't seem to do a lot with the exception being the CNP Elite Hydro Max Gel - Pineapple. Its the only gel i've used where i could physically feel an energy kick about 10-15 minutes after taking it, but thats just me.

So if i were you, i would simply experiment. Try one thing at a time otherwise something might work or might not work but you won't be able to tell. So maybe start with bananas, then try bars etc
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I think cereal bars and bananas are a reliable staple for most people.
    Personally, I avoid gels until the closing stages of a ride especially if there are tough climbs in the last hour. Once you start taking gels your blood sugar starts spiking and dipping and I don't like that. It also makes some people feel sick.
    Lower GI foods are the way to go before a long ride (porridge for breakfast in my case) and higher GI foods for emergencies (gels, jelly babies, etc). Sweetened cereal bars and especially bananas are probably towards the higher end of the GI scale but not up there with straight sugars!
  • It's been interesting reading this post. In particular the number suggesting jelly babies. My question is: How many do you need to eat? How often? and What's in them that gives you energy?
  • It's been interesting reading this post. In particular the number suggesting jelly babies. My question is: How many do you need to eat? How often? and What's in them that gives you energy?

They're mostly sugar and they're easy to eat. This is high GI food, so best to nibble on them to maintain your blood sugar. To be honest, whilst they're convenient I wouldn't particularly recommend them if you're not riding at high intensity, in preference for something lower GI. And natural, preferably - bananas, dates and the like all work well.

How much to eat? Depends on duration and intensity, but there's no need to stuff your face. A nibble of something every so often once you pass 2 hours or so should suffice for steady rides; provided you're eating a proper diet.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    It's been interesting reading this post. In particular the number suggesting jelly babies. My question is: How many do you need to eat? How often? and What's in them that gives you energy?
    What's in them? Sugar obviously.
  • Done a little more digging and found out this about Jelly Babies:
    "It turns out that 36g of Jelly Babies (about 6 pieces) contains 120kCal and 28g of carbohydrate and it’s primary ingredient is also glucose syrup (75%). So 36g of Jelly Babies is comparable to a single 45g energy gel".
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I need to eat loads when I ride otherwise I get real nasty headaches. I eat as much as I can before I set off and then take as many calories as I can carry. The best fuel to weight ratio I have found is chocolate coated marzipan bars - around 450-500 calories per 100g. A couple of those should keep you going for longer distances.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs