Canyon are terrible

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited January 2015 in Commuting chat
Seriously, there needs to be a warning thread, or at least a place where those of us who are suffering can come together and form a self help group.

Having got the bike on Monday, my issues are:

1. Bar end cap missing. Not a massive issue, but it's sloppy. First world problem, but annoying all the same.

2. Scratch on the top tube. This is not as annoying as you'd think as running a Sharpie over it made it vanish (I coloured it in) but still. If I didn't think I'd have to wait 17 weeks for a replacement I'd send it straight back. This is a winter bike, so although I want to keep it in perfect nick, I don't expect it to stay that way for long.

3. The mudguards I ordered are missing parts so I can't fit them. Spares have to come from Germany, so that's at least a 10 day wait.

4. FD-6800s have a grub screw aligned perpendicular to the cage that presses against your frame to brace the mech when shifting and give a more positive shift. To protect your frame Shimano provide a little backing plate (two actually, one for down tubes with a cut-out and one for round tubes). Canyon haven't fitted this so the grub screw will scratch the frame. I'd prefer it if any scratches were my responsibility, not the manufacturers.

Coupled with all the delays and poor comms it has been a pretty terrible experience and not something that I'd recommend anyone else go through. I keep looking at their 29ers and thinking that they would be fun but if Iever bike the bullet on something that that it most certainly won't be coming from Koblenz.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• You should go to Koblenz yourself to pick it up, it's a beautiful beautiful area even for cycling.

So what's next? Send it back for full refund and get a Genesis instead? :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • asprilla
    Would love to but it kinda defeats the cost element, as does spending time and effort to resolve issues.

It's painful.

I asked if I could escalate my mudguard issues and was told to email. When I rang back about the FD issue I was told to send pictures to the guy who answered both calls and was given the same email. So that's a non-escalation fob off route I was given first time then....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Reading about the delivery woes of you, IP and Dhope I must admit to thinking I don't think I would be ordering from them if I was in the market for a new bike.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    You should go to Koblenz yourself to pick it up, it's a beautiful beautiful area even for cycling.

So what's next? Send it back for full refund and get a Genesis instead? :wink:

I did just that a couple of years back then decided to NOT buy the Canyon but to buy a Cervelo instead, I also managed to bag a KOM leading up to the fort 8)

SDC13283.JPG

Koblenz is a lovely place really worth a visit
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Me after my sweet victory
    SDC13326.JPG
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    and more celebrating post Amstel gold race

SDC13407.JPG
  • You give a whole new meaning to "going off topic"
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Counterbalance : I ordered mine middle of December last year and it was with me fully intact within 10 days. It has been an awesome bike to ride.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • itboffin
    You give a whole new meaning to "going off topic"

well i do like to try my best, nom nom nom ...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B85rDM ... sp=sharing
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,216
    Went for $6.5m

72bfd4c6-4b19-4039-932d-fa65df58d8f5-620x372.jpeg

Expensive canyon
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    itboffin wrote:
    and more celebrating post Amstel gold race

SDC13407.JPG

you shouldn't eat mussels with a fork, you use a mussel :!: Only jealous, they do look good....
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • itboffin wrote:
    Me after my sweet victory
    SDC13326.JPG

Not sure you could look much less pleased! Miserable old git!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    The expression is more that of considering the dental bill that may result from the jarring bite on dense flapjack.

Back on topic, I'm siding with Veronese68's view - now Rose or Spesh @ LBS.
  • rick_chasey
    Every company gets a 'growing pains' period when they're on a fast growth trajectory.

This is clearly Canyon's.
  • asprilla
    Every company gets a 'growing pains' period when they're on a fast growth trajectory.

Canyon have had these issues since they started and don't seem to be making and headway in resolving them.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:

Canyon have had these issues since they started and don't seem to be making and headway in resolving them.

No brainer

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/roa ... m-disc-ltd
  • itboffin
    Asprilla wrote:

there's a good reason for that, people continue to buy them. Ultimately many companies see nothing other than cash flow, if the orders are coming in then a few delays and complaints they can live with, if people dont place orders because of bad PR or started cancelling them as rapidly as they placed them then questions would be asked and a solution would have to be found.
  • Asprilla wrote:

3. The mudguards I ordered are missing parts so I can't fit them. Spares have to come from Germany, so that's at least a 10 day wait.

Canyon use UPS for all their deliveries, I've had 2 orders placed this month both on a Tuesday and both delivered on the Friday so not sure where a 10 day wait comes into it.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rick_chasey
    Asprilla wrote:

Have they?

I had no problems with mine.
  • Asprilla wrote:

Have they?

Yes but you probably hinted you are a mod on BR and they dared not risk screwing up. :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    Asprilla wrote:

Have they?

Yes but you probably hinted you are a mod on BR and they dared not risk screwing up. :D

Yeah. The red pseudonym opens so so many doors...
  • asprilla
    Asprilla wrote:

Have they?

Successfully delivering two orders doesn't mean they are a roaring success. As ITB points out, they won't improve unless the bottom line is impacted.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    I'm an architect for numerous online brands including many that frequently feature on here, there has been lots of talk about whether taking an order knowing that they might not be able to deliver in a reasonable timeframe is damaging to brand image and ultimately customer loyalty.

Would you still push the button if you knew it was 6+ months?

I would if I had a realistic date.
  • asprilla
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm an architect for numerous online brands including many that frequently feature on here, there has been lots of talk about whether taking an order knowing that they might not be able to deliver in a reasonable timeframe is damaging to brand image and ultimately customer loyalty.

Would you still push the button if you knew it was 6+ months?

I would if I had a realistic date.

Me too. I design the business process around these things and honesty is always the best policy. The moment you disappoint someone then that's damaging the customer experience and the brand.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    True dat
  • veronese68
    Some of our suppliers are notoriously unreliable with their delivery dates, as a salesman it drives me up the wall. If asked by a customer I just tell them the delivery date cannot be trusted as the supplier lies like a flatfish and we should get them at some point. Unfortunately for us there are no alternative suppliers for these parts without major tooling investment. Canyon have competition and I suspect it may start to affect them, although they may not care if they are still making money.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Canyon's problem is that they break the first rule of Customer Service - 'Under Promise, Over Deliver'. To wit, endless emails advising of a 1 week/2 week delay. Each time raising and then dashing your hopes.

They might be learning though. Last week I was told I'd get the bike in late Feb. Today Canyon tried to take the money from my Credit Card only for Barclays to block the transaction! :roll: Hopefully all sorted now but if they are taking payment then the bike should be almost ready for dispatch. Once again my hopes are raised.

Hope it arrives in better condition than Asprilla's...

Edit - just had the email to say 'we are currently preparing your order for shipment'

Happy days. Asprilla - how long did yours take to arrive from shipment conf to delivery?
  • veronese68
    Fingers crossed for you IP, maybe a fat man with a beard will deliver it in his sack.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Fingers crossed for you IP, maybe a fat man with a beard will deliver it in his sack.
    Is this who you mean?

SDC13326.JPG
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    IP - from my experience you should ve got it next week, might not be there by Xmas though. It ll be a greaat NYE pres though! ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver