Audax on the telly - BBC2 Scotland, 9th December 7pm

marcusjb
marcusjb Posts: 2,412
http://vimeo.com/112902193

Little preview of what they have shot.

A bunch of us went to North-west Scotland and rode 1300km in very hot conditions. Some nutters with cameras followed us around to capture the scenery and (I am sure) us all talking crap when sleep deprivation has kicked in.

It was one of the best bike rides I have ever done. Just the most fabulous scenery in some of the best weather possible.

Available on Sky and Freesat (channel 970) and iPlayer shortly afterwards.

Comments

• As above, except it's 7pm on the 9th December, not 7th. And it'll be on the iPlayer the next day.

Hopefully we captured the spirit and challenge of this amazing event. I had no idea Scotland could be so hot in July, and I live there.

Oh, and I'll let the viewers decide who the nutters were, those of us with TV cameras or you lot on the bikes Marcus… :lol:

S
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Thanks for the heads up Marcus.

That you in the Willesden jersey?
  • marcusjb
    Oops - corrected the date. :oops:

I was wearing Willesden green - but haven't featured heavily in the preview! There were three of us from the club riding the event, so hopefully lots of good exposure!
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Thanks, looks interesting I'll put it in my diary.
    marcusjb wrote:

North-west Scotland....in very hot conditions.

Are there two North-West Scotlands?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    The Adventure Show is a really good programme, reckon it deserves a slot on BBC2 nationwide
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    I've put that in the diary... thanks for the heads up.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • marcusjb
    whoof wrote:
    Thanks, looks interesting I'll put it in my diary.
    marcusjb wrote:

North-west Scotland....in very hot conditions.

Are there two North-West Scotlands?

I know! I'd planned to be carrying winter gear for the trip!

Very high 20s every day. Certainly added a challenge to the ride no-one had predicted.
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    looks interesting, thanks for posting
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Will record this. I remember Marcus posting about this before and it made me want to do the same ride!
  • marcusjb
    It will be running again in summer 2016 - possibly as a 1200km by the sounds of it.

I can't recommend the ride highly enough. It really was a belter. Challenging and a step above most Audax events as the self sufficiency ethos was pushed up to another level.

Just the most amazing cycling terrain.

There looks to be an event next summer, 400km in the north west part of this ride. I am quite tempted to do it.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Would think about riding it on my own regardless of whether there was an event on. Is there a route map anywhere??
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The Adventure Show is a cracking program. It really should get a wider airing.
  • I take my hat-off to these audax guys. Tough, tough, tough!

For people outside of Scotland, it will be available via BBC i-player.
  • marcusjb
    If anyone wants a little more to whet their appetite - my thoughts on the ride are here, along with some more photos and strava links etc.

http://marcusjb.wordpress.com/2014/07/2 ... 0km-audax/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ah ffs - BBC2 scotland isnt on Virgin Media. WHY oh WHY did I desert Sky ?
    Thank god for iplayer - that's my next turbo session sorted.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    A very interesting programme on an amazing event, and your memoir is great reading too, Marcus.
    It has served to whet my appetite for Audax.
  • This a brilliant programme and worth watching. Audax is starting to attract media attention and rightly so.

To all those that rode the event - you were great ambassadors for audax.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04v5hhh
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Thanks for telling us about this, Marcus. Really enjoyed watching it on iPlayer. Full of admiration for you guys. Scotland looked so beautiful in the sunshine. Great to see a selection of interesting real bikes used for real riding.
  • marcusjb
    I haven't seen it fully yet - looking forward to watching it properly tonight. I watched a couple of quick bits and it looks fabulous and the star of the show was definitely Scotland's scenery. There were sections of the ride that are certainly some of the most beautiful riding I have done anywhere in the world.

Hopefully it helps attract even more people into long-distance riding. It's not all bonkers long, camping out on moorland and foraging for grubs under tree bark - there's plenty of really rather civilised events starting from 50km upwards that involve church and village halls stuffed full of cake and tea.

It is a very broad church and offers something for everyone; from those who want maximum TLC to those who want to kill our own dinner armed only with a blunt spoke.

This event was a real test for those who like to take the self-sufficiency ethos to the limit. It was exhilarating and rewarding in spades and I suspect there will not be a more enjoyable bike ride for me for quite some time. It will take some topping.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/
  • marcusjb
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Great to see a selection of interesting real bikes used for real riding.

I loved the bit in the preview with one rider "it's nothing special" to another with titanium bolts - neither is right or wrong and you will see everything from super-bikes to something that looks like it was rescued from a skip (usually ridden by an old bloke who looks like he sleeps in a skip, but will still finish way ahead of you).

Audax is also very welcoming to those on unusual machinery - so (not on this ride though) there are plenty of recumbents, tandems, velomobiles, kick scooters, Elliptigos etc. on the bigger rides.
  • dabber
    Just played this back through iPlayer. I thought it was very good but I have to admit I kept thinking "thank goodness I'm not that crazy" :shock: :D

Very impressive riding and chapeau to all of them.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • marcusjb
    Well I watched it properly last night - beautifully filmed and very sympathetic to our pursuit. It really was a heck of a week and just the best riding possible.

Superbly done!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Just finished watching this while doing some boring spreadsheet stuff, really good, well filmed and inspiring.

You got quite a bit of screen time Marcus!
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Just watched this now. Amazing, inspirational stuff.

I've done a few 200km (pffffft!) Audax rides and absolutely love them, must take a proper step up next year.
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Really enjoyed this, and have huge respect for anyone who could complete a ride like that.
  • dabber
    Ah, I think I've just worked out which one was Marcus.

• Just watched it tonight, what a great bunch of lads and how hard that must be credit to them all.

It has certainly given me an bit of inspiration to do some of the longer events.
  • marcusjb
    Dabber wrote:

The devastatingly handsome one right? :wink:
  • dabber
    marcusjb wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

The devastatingly handsome one right? :wink:

You got it :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol::lol::lol:

Well done.