Commute 6K a year - get new components or buy new bike?

oatmealtwice
oatmealtwice Posts: 21
edited December 2014 in Commuting general
Hi there

I commute around 6K a year - commute involves muddy lanes used by quarry traffic/farmers etc so hard on the bike.

I've had a Trek 1.5A for 2.5 years. It's getting to that time again when I will need to replace the chainset/chain/cassette - the LBS said my headset would need replacing soon and maybe my brake mechs. Will need new Marathon Plus too. The wheels are a year old and OK!

So! that sounds like a lorra money (not compared to driving the car!).

Do I just buy the basic Boardman road bike or equivalent instead??

Comments

• A few components is far cheaper than a whole bike.

Chain ~ £10
    Cassette ~ £20
    Chainset ~ £50
    Headset ~ £20
    Tyres ~ £50 a pair
    Brakes ~ £30

So around £200 for that lot, or £800/£1000 for a new bike.

You can even buy the new 105 groupset for £300. That's where I'd put my money. That will go a few years with a couple of chain/cassette changes.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • They're mostly just consumables. Buy on-line, fit yourself. Certainly don't justify buying a new bike after 2.5 years.

On the other hand, it's an entry level bike that you might want to upgrade, in which case why not if you can afford it? Maybe sell it or maybe keep as a winter beater.

For an upgrade, if you're not in a tearing hurry, keep an eye on the for sale boards here, on CTC, etc.

For that kind of use, maybe consider a tourer for the commute - something like the Dawes Galaxy or Surly LHT - perhaps used but in good nick.
  • That would be both.

What a silly question.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I can see you might want to replace a chainring but not the chainset. £24 for two ring.
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s149p0
    Also replace the brakes? I've been commuting on my bike for 20 years with the same brakes with the current commute been 5000-6000 miles a year. If they do need changing you might want to be cleaning your bike a bit more often.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    muddy lanes. Good candidate for disk brakes.
  • Hi all -thanks for the replies! Whoof has a point re the cleaning, I'd give myself a. Maybe the brakes could be rescued. The shed I kept the bike in was quite damp for a while as well which has not helped either. Perhaps I should be banned from owning a bike ;-) Or a shed, or anything...
  • I suspect some time spent finding out how to do stuff would be useful. Saves you loads in labour and parts prices and makes you less reliant on what the LBS is telling you.

PS I'd check your BB - not expensive if you do it yourself and they do tend to wear, although some seem to go on forever but some not that long.

Edit: PPS Missed chainset replacement - never had to do that from wear and tear. Chainrings on the fixed, yes, but not the whole caboodle.
  • On the subject of replacing a whole chainset, I did it once when I had to replace the BB and a couple of worn chainrings at around the same time. I was able to get a discounted chainset (which included the BB) for a bit less than the individual parts would have cost me.

_
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Sounds like a bike with belt drive and discs would be a good choice for your commute. No oil to worry about, mud will just wash off the belt with cold water.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That depends on how much damage will happen to the belt on each return trip before washing.

For me I'd just keep putting 'good enough' parts (normal dérailleur setup) on it and keep it going all the time the frame and forks are OK, that or bite the bullet and go for something hardier (disc braked CX or fast hybrid to taste).

Going to a single front ring (if the gearing works) will also help keep costs down.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Replace all the bits and use it as your commuter. And buy yourself a nice bike for best!