1x11 speed

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited December 2014 in MTB general
Hi guys,
Just after people's thoughts of going from double chainset to the 1x 11speed. Those that have made the leap to the 1x11speed what do you think and what range did you go for to suit you for trail centre riding and enduro stuff. I currently running 10spd 38/24 and rear of 11/34.
I am still hardly using that outer front ring and wondered what people think best ratio would be if I went to the single setup

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have 1x10 with 34 up front and 11-40t cassette. More than enough for trail centres and just about anything else.
    The cost of consumables is enough to put me off 11 speed.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I have 1x10 with 34 up front and 11-40t cassette. More than enough for trail centres and just about anything else.
    The cost of consumables is enough to put me off 11 speed.

This. Until 11 speed XT is released (hopefully next summer) I'd stick with 1x10 and get a cassette expander.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I went from 3x10 to 1x10 this summer - have a 30t front and 11-42 rear - its fine, simplifies shifting, works well and improves chain ring clearance. I effectively lost one low ratio which on steep prolonged climbs I miss but generally its not an issue. I fear for my ability to ride with that ratio once the snow subsides though!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I went from 1x10 on 26" wheels, with a 36t chainring and 11-36 cassette to 1x11 on 29" wheels with 32t ring and 10-42 XX1 cassette. It's very good. The wider range is really noticeable. I rarely use either the 10t or the 42t, so seem to have the ring size about right.

Just about to change to XTR M9000 mech and shifter because I prefer the ergonomics of Shimano shifters.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    27.5 wheels, 34t chainring and 11-42 10 speed using a one up 42t expander and 16t cog. gear range is fine for xc and trail centre use.

If I had the money I'd go 1 by 11 as I think the 10 would be useful - but I only really spin out on fireroads and when on road so its no big issue.
  • Might be worth Googling the Sheldon Borwn gear ratios calculator so that you can compare what you're used to with what you're considering. It'll be an expensive and painful mistake if you find that a single ring set up isn't really for you or you've got thr wrong rings.

If you do go for it then your next issue is trying to justify 1x11 over 1x10. I can't quite see why you'd pay so much more for the 11.

For what it's worth, I tried 1x10 on my 29er hardtail (30t chainring and 11/42 cassette with OneUp) and it just didn't suit me. I live in a pretty hilly area so anything beyond a 3 hour trail centre ride & most natural stuff began to take it's toll and I decided to go back to 2x10 (36/22 chainrings and 11/36 cassette).
  • I've just gone from 26" wheels with 3x9. --> 650b and 34T x 11 shimano M9000

Bloody love it.

My easiest gear is between 2-3rd on old setup and hardest gear between 25-26th
    So only really lost couple of gears top bottom

Have no issues climbing and top out at about 34mph
    Specialized Stumpjumper
    Bird Zero (current build)