OK these cheap SRAM cassettes probably aren't up to scratch

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Looking close at my cheap SRAM cassette I noticed the sprockets used most seem bent. The thing also wobbles on the freehub body and that's on 2 different sets of wheels. The Shimano one is actually cheaper anyway, far heavier, but then there's a reason for that.

Nevermind at least I will go a bit faster downhill. 8)

It was only until someone said in a thread SRAM cassettes are some of the more inferior SRAM componenets I really had a good look at the cassette. I never liked how the "fins" are on those cassettes though, but never had a problem with shifting and liked the weight of them. :oops:

The 12-23 road cassette I have (PG850) feels like it came out of a Christmas cracker. :lol:

Bottom line: These cassettes don't have much durability and a more durable Shimano one can be had for slightly less money, but you'll gain probably 100g.

Comments

• Well in contrast I've always used SRAM PG1050s largely cause that what came OEM on my bike. I have never had any trouble with them running four chains to one cassette and then replacing them at around 6+k miles. I once got a PG1070 (cause it was on offer) and didn't notice any difference in shifting or longevity. Would I get more from Shimano?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    As above never had an issue with SRAM cassettes, used PG1050, 1070 and PG1170.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    SRAM cassettes are very durable - and certainly no less durable than any other type..
This discussion has been closed.