New cube xc with rs1

gazcarsf1
gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
edited December 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking for a new 29er hardtail, and I want to stay with cube bikes as I currently have a carbon Cube hardtail, which has been a great bike so the options are these two below.
http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/mtb-hardtail/reaction/cube-reaction-gtc-slt-29-carbonnflashred-2015/ £2200
http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/mtb-hardtail/reaction/cube-reaction-gtc-race-29-carbonngreen-2015/ £1600

Hope to buy from a local dealer who will give 20% off just after Xmas, the question is should I stay safe with the reba's or go for the RS1?
Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
How much for that!!!!!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think I'd be tempted by the RS1, that said unless you are racing then the Reba may be the better bet.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • A friend of mine is exactly at the same boat as you.
    I keep telling him to get the flash red with RS1 as it's just plain sexy.
    You dont even have to ride it, you can just stare at it all day!!
    I was told the Reaction is the cheapest bike you can buy with RS1. Mostly are pushing the £3k mark.
    Just be aware the RS1 has a propriety wheel which means you cant swap it with your other wheels.
    I'd still get it anyway.
    So go for it and post sone photos.
    Padyak rider
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    By wheel, you mean hub of course...... Yes it has a specific 27mm axle to provide the connection between the two lowers.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Think it might be the RS1's, after reading all the test results so far, decision made I think!!!!

Just off the phone to the bike shop, and they are emailing cube about availability for the SLT with the RS1's!!!!
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Given how much the RS1 fork and compatible wheel costs new, the bike looks a bargain.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I still don't understand what the RS1 is for. It's not an xc race fork but it's too expensive for a trail fork and it's not big enough for #enduro.
  • I still don't understand what the RS1 is for. It's not an xc race fork but it's too expensive for a trail fork and it's not big enough for #enduro.

From the Rock shox web site,
    When it came time to best our XC platform, it meant reevaluating every element that defines the most winning XC fork in world cup history. A ruthless approach to material optimization, an ultra efficient energy saving lockout and quite possibly the world’s lightest air spring – all designed to enable riders to find their next line. The outcome was something unexpected. A fork that ushers in a new-generation philosophy to XC rider efficiency, packaged in a chassis design never before seen by RockShox. RS-1 harnesses 25 years of creativity, refinement, and the courage to tackle the biggest engineering challenge of mountain bike suspension to date: the inverted chassis.

So that will be a xc fork then fella!! ;-)
    How much for that!!!!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    But it's heavier than the SID. I would have thought that the new xc race fork would be lighter than the old one.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I did too. But is supposed to be twice as stiff as the SID. Which given that 15mm is only 15% torsionally stiffer than 9mm qr, is quite something for those who appreciate it. Could/should be a hard hitting short travel bomber.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    But it's only stiff laterally, apparently fore/aft stiffness is poor. Agree that launching a new XC race fork that is a lot heavier than the predecessor is a bit odd.

I'd get the cheaper one and spend the £600 on upgrades. Yes the RS1 equipped one is good value, but thats not the be all and end all.
  • njee20 wrote:
    But it's only stiff laterally, apparently fore/aft stiffness is poor. Agree that launching a new XC race fork that is a lot heavier than the predecessor is a bit odd.

I'd get the cheaper one and spend the £600 on upgrades. Yes the RS1 equipped one is good value, but thats not the be all and end all.

It's only about 50g' to 100g more than a "Sid", so that's not a lot heavier is it? Also on the tests I've read it's stiffer fore & aft, with the laterally stiffness being questioned, but testers have not noticed this when riding. But quotes on all tests give them a thumbs up, with quotes from best xc fork on the market to a mini pike which is Praise enough. I would trade a bit of weight for a better ride = less fatigue. To be honest I wouldn't change anything on the bikes, as I don't think they need upgrades as the spec is great on both. With the chance of discount on whatever bike I choose both would be a bargain with 20% off. So I will just need to pick whatever and be happy with my choice.
    How much for that!!!!!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Isn't it 100g plus the extra weigh of the hub and axle?
  • njee20
    1485g vs 1666g claimed, so 180g, and that assumes the XX damper in the SID, having MoCo would save 60g, so 250g lighter. Plus the heavy hub. And it costs more. A hell of a lot more.

Just not sure of the need for a super plush XC race fork. You expect them to be a bit chattery compared to longer travel stuff, it's still only 120mm travel at most.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Might be ideal as an endurance racing fork where the plush damping will help reduce fatigue.
  • njee20
    Yes, I could buy into that. Uber niche!

The front hub is 165g, so 60g heavier than a comparatively priced lightweight hub like Carbon-Ti.
  • Looks like they have sold out already, bike shop has had a reply from Cube saying zero stock, and their not sure if there will be any more!!!! So looks like it will be the race for me. Still a cracking spec for the cash though.
    How much for that!!!!!
  • njee20
    Still think that's the better bike. Particularly if you spend £600 upgrading it.