Winter Tyres On - Eventually!

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited December 2014 in Commuting chat
Well, given the ice in the mornings last week, and the forecast here for more ice and even snow this week I thought it was time to put my winter tyres on.

Note: I had not had to do anything with the tyres at all since I started commuting (and cycling!) in June.

How hard can it be I thought. So two hours and one broken tyre lever later I finally managed to get my new tyres on. :mrgreen::lol:

It took me ages to first get the tyre off (being a bit scared of breaking the plastic tyre lever - which I eventually did). And then when I put the new one on, at first I though "this seems a bit big - have I got the right size?", before getting to the last bit, and then thinking this is never in a million years going to go on there.

Eventually I looked up a video on youtube... where it was cleverly pointed out to make sure you get the bead in the groove of the tyre to give you the extra space you need. :oops: Lo and behold... it went on real easy after that! :lol::lol: So first tyre an hour and a half, then second about 20 minutes.

At least they're on now. And I've learned how to sort the tyres.
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    I seemingly always have problems getting new tyres on, my usual count is 2 wrecked tubes for each pair of tyres :-(

At the mo I am still on Shimano wheels, 500/550's etc, but will soon be swapping to Mavic's - not sure if these are easier or not.

It does seem that the tyres stretch, so what I need to try and remember to do is to bung the tyres on a spare set of wheels, and leave them there for a week or so, and I think that will make them easier to fit.

For example changing a tyre on my SS just this week - when I fitted the Michelin tyres it cost me 2 tubes, and required a gargantuan effort to get the tyre home, using metal levers - this time I was able to get it on just with my hands, so I do not the 'roll on' technique, but new tyres never seem to have the give required.

Is there any other method - soak them in hot water/leave them on a radiator or something?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • How the heck are you wrecking tubes? You know that you should put a small (tiny) amount of air in the tube to give it shape? That really helps with not pinching them while putting the tyre on.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Depends on the tyres concerned I think. I run RS10's which I guess will be the same as R500? GP4 Seaons are always a very tight fit, but GP4000S just push on without much effort at all.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Also, levers only to get the tyre off
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    dhope wrote:
    Also, levers only to get the tyre off
    Certainly true for the 26" Marathon Winters on the hack bike; swapped both in ten minutes on Saturday morning & just pulled them on. All about getting the bead sitting in the rim.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2014
    How the heck are you wrecking tubes? You know that you should put a small (tiny) amount of air in the tube to give it shape? That really helps with not pinching them while putting the tyre on.

Agreed, it's a right pita - but yes I always put a bit of air in, but the problem I get is when I am near the end of getting the typre on, say the last 10%, the side of the tyre that is in the rim is so tight, that it is pulled right across to the side I am trying to get on, so the tube is forced out as there is simply no room at the inn.

Then in desperation/frustration at not being able to roll the tyre over I initiate metal tyre levers, and probably 50% of the time pinch the tube between the rim and the tyre - job done!

*This will be why I buy my tubes in BULK from Ribble!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seajays
    It was this video which eventually helped me! (Although I didn't bother with the tie wrap things).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
    My Strava
  • daniel_b
    Seajays wrote:
    It was this video which eventually helped me! (Although I didn't bother with the tie wrap things).

Thanks SJ, I'l try some of that next time - I don't tend to have a problem that would necessitate the tie wraps either, good tip though if you do.

So when he is pushing the tyre into the wheel and out of the groove (To gain more leeway), is that on both sides as you understood it, or just one of the sides?
    I couldn't quite tell, but I would imagine both sides.........?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seajays
    Daniel B wrote:
    Seajays wrote:

So when he is pushing the tyre into the wheel and out of the groove (To gain more leeway), is that on both sides as you understood it, or just one of the sides?
    I couldn't quite tell, but I would imagine both sides.........?

I squeezed the side of the tyre I was having trouble with into the centre channel of the rim all the way round starting at the opposite side to the part I couldn't get on - after that it was really easy to get the last bit on. It gives that bit extra leeway that you can't do otherwise!
    My Strava
  • Also, don't even need levers to get the tyre off

FTFY
  • Also, don't even need levers to get the tyre off

FTFY

To be honest i rarely use levers if at all, be that Marathon pluses thin or wide MTB or road.

a touch of air in the tube, feed the tyre into the rim on one side and then the other, normally not long enough for Tea to have brewed...
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Don't worry - there won't be any snow or ice this winter, as I've just bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winters.....
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Daniel B wrote:
    Is there any other method - soak them in hot water/leave them on a radiator or something?
    Yep warmth definitely helps. Last year I was really struggling get the marathon winter's on in the cold garage so I brough them inside in front of the log burner and it made it much much easier (and more comfortable too, as long as you don't get mud/oil anywhere in the house and end up with an earful from your wife). Hanging on the radiator beforehand works too, but again make sure they're clean!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Don't worry - there won't be any snow or ice this winter, as I've just bought a pair of Schwalbe Marathon Winters.....
    I put my Studs on on Sunday and cancelled the snow.

I was surprised to find any. But there was just enough to justify my tyre choice:

15811977629_d62b4c4b3d_c.jpg
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.