Money no object what bike would you buy?

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited February 2015 in MTB general
Okay guys if you had the cash to go and buy what you wanted without the wife cutting your balls off what would you get and would you go brand new or second hand to get more for your cash?

Comments

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    EVIL uprising
    KONA prossess 167
    INTENCE tracer275
    Brand new

And lets be honest, who ever has a wife money is the slightest of problems....
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    If I had money to burn it wouldn't be a stock bike, would be a Pivot Les 27.5 frame, marzocchi 320 lrc carbon forks, enve m50 rims on some suitably light and durable hubs, xx1 groupset, race face carbon cranks, ks lev ci integra dropper. Xtr brakes
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As a complete bike, the Scott Spark 700 RC, first bike I really lusted over and this is the latest and greatest version, super light, and fast enough to make even my legs seem vaguely capable.

But in reality I'd probably build my own, 100mm rear, 120mm front, 650b, 1x gearing etc
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would buy a cheap heap and make my butler ride it whilst I sat on a tropical beach sipping cocktails out of pineapples and watching my nubile wenches play beach volleyball.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    edited December 2014
    Either a Pivot March 4 Carbon, an SB5c, or a Thunderbolt MSL with 1*11 Di2, reduced 36, carbon everything, new obviously. Any one would be a lovely short travel all rounder.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • I think Santa cruz 5010 solo carbon ztr build for me
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    no idea, but unlikely to be one of the overpriced bikes like a Bronson or yeti.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Devinci Wilson carbon with Cane Creek DB Coil shock, Marzocchi 380 RC3 ti forks. Saint transmission set up to run six speed. Enve carbon wheels, bars and seat post. Saint brakes and Hope BB, headset and hubs.
    For days when I don't want to go completely banzai I would have a carbon Yeti SB66 with Pikes, CCDB CS air, XTR transmission and brakes, Enve carbon rims on hope hubs and a reverb.
    As money is unlimited I would employ a bikini model to clean and service the bikes.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Why would you go secondhand to get more for your cash if money were no object?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    Maybe you want something that's no longer in production. I know a lad who loves old Intense M3's. He even says they ride better with cracks in the frame :shock:
    Lots of people really like Iron Horse Sunday's and early Turner 5 Spots or even old Schwinn Klunkers.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    sworks veng, shiv, stump jumper evo and a wattbike.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    A Trek Madone 7-Series probably.

And an Open One, suitably specced.
  • Probably a custom steel hardcore hardtail from 18bikes.
  • Angus
    Rock monkey is totally right you might want something that's not produced anymore
  • Ooh now that's a good question,I'd have 2. A hardcore hardtail and a full suspension enduro bike.
    In terms of the hardtail I'd probably goes for a Shan MV frame built up with 1x11 xtr DI2,XTR Brakes,Hope Wheels,thompson dropper and Pikes. On the full sus front it'd have to be an SB5c with Fox 36,XTR 1x11 mechanical,hope brakes,hope enduro wheels,fox dropper,fox float x rear shock and a renthal stem with carbon fatbar lites
    2018 On One Proto
    2013 Haro Pro XL BMX
    2017 Planet X London Road
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Maybe you want something that's no longer in production. I know a lad who loves old Intense M3's. He even says they ride better with cracks in the frame :shock:
    Lots of people really like Iron Horse Sunday's and early Turner 5 Spots or even old Schwinn Klunkers.
    Angus
    Rock monkey is totally right you might want something that's not produced anymore

Which is entirely different from going secondhand to get more for your cash when it's a money no object gig.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Sorry mate it's a bit of fun I wouldn't worry to much about the specific details of the question
  • Probably a Stanton Slackline Ti with a 36, Enve's, XTR/XX1 drivetrain and SIXC cranks and a new Fat Chance Yo Eddy to go with my Fat Chance collection. Thats about the only MTB's I would like right now. I'd also like a Colnago C60 Italia but that should arrive this coming year all been well.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'm disgusted by the number of people who have replied with road bikes. Get back to the road forum you leg shaving, lycra wearing, team sky loving, steroid taking, boring, poodle walking, a-sexual (gay would require personality) weirdos.
  • njee20
    Aren't I the only one :?

Never posted in the road forum!
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    njee20 wrote:
    Aren't I the only one :?

Never posted in the road forum!

Nah me too and I have posted in the road forum
  • The Rookie
    OK, had a think about my self build dream bike
    Pivot Mach4 Carbon using a RS Sid XX world cup fork (I'll pay them to make a 27.5 version, money is no object after all!), wheels will be carbon rims (tba) on American Classic rear and A2Z front hubs, I'll keep my Bonty inirm RXL saddle, tyres will be Ralph/Ron most the time, XTR Di2 gearing 1x11, finishing kit will be lightweight with some nice AXL or Schmolke bits where applicable and some Mt Zoom where a little robustness (have to think on that one) would be nice, lightweight dropper post (tba) when applicable or a fixed when not, brakes will be XTR race or I may try Formula R1, front disc will be my A2Z, rear my trusty Alligator - see I can save some cost here even when money is no object!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    A B'Twin Triban 3 from ebay for £150....and spend the rest ravelling the World !!
  • The Rookie
    You can't, its a bike with money no object, not the money and how you'll spend it!
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I've been assuming this thread is like undercover millionaire type tv programmes and Diving moose is going to turn up at our houses with the bikes we've requested?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'm happy enough with my current bike to be honest, and prefer it to the new ones, so I'd probably just treat it to some upgrades:

RS Pikes
    Full XT
    SIXC cranks
    Carbon wheels
    Burgtec Penthouse MK4 Pedals

Otherwise I'd like a mint/unused 2012 Specialized SX Trail 1.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • njee20
    The Rookie wrote:
    OK, had a think about my self build dream bike
    Pivot Mach4 Carbon using a RS Sid XX world cup fork (I'll pay them to make a 27.5 version, money is no object after all!), wheels will be carbon rims (tba) on American Classic rear and A2Z front hubs, I'll keep my Bonty inirm RXL saddle, tyres will be Ralph/Ron most the time, XTR Di2 gearing 1x11, finishing kit will be lightweight with some nice AXL or Schmolke bits where applicable and some Mt Zoom where a little robustness (have to think on that one) would be nice, lightweight dropper post (tba) when applicable or a fixed when not, brakes will be XTR race or I may try Formula R1, front disc will be my A2Z, rear my trusty Alligator - see I can save some cost here even when money is no object!

Good as the A2Z hubs are I'm not sure they belong on a money no object build!

I'd go for two sets of Extralite Hyperhubs, one set on tubs, one set on clinchers, probably with AX-Lightness rims. Should be able to get sub-1000g on each, possibly knocking 900g on the tubs.

Surely you need the carbon version of the Bonty saddle too!?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Definitely a custom build, short travel XC full susser to compliment the Zaskar (which would get upgrades too!). probably the Scott Spark, think it is a stunning design.
  • njee20
    Shame it's not very nice to ride IMO!