H + Son Rims 36 holes

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited December 2014 in Commuting chat
Am I correct that these dont come in a 36 hole and the alternative is velocity A23? I currently am running Mavic 719s and am wondering if another will make any difference to the ride and/ or handling.

cheers

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    A quick check on the H Plus Son site shows they come in 36h in black, grey and silver, just not in anodised.

Edit; assuming you mean the Archetype rim.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • samsbike
    Asprilla wrote:
    A quick check on the H Plus Son site shows they come in 36h in black, grey and silver, just not in anodised.

Edit; assuming you mean the Archetype rim.

I did, I didnt realise.
    Is it worth changing from mavics or not really. As the change with new spokes is close to a £100 per end.

thanks
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Funnily enough I made this change recently - on my fuji sportif (with disc brakes) the original rim broke, and Evans rebuilt it with a Mavic A719 rim - unfortunately then the original spokes all then started breaking, so I ended up getting another wheelset built, with a 36 spoke rear and archetype rims.

If you're running rim brakes, there's no point - wait for the Mavic rims to wear out, then look at it again.

If you're running disc brakes, well then maybe, but don't replace the old rims - buy new hubs also and get yourself an additional wheelset.

The Archetypes are certainly a lot prettier, but feel wise there isn't much difference. The wheels will be slightly lighter, but in all honesty you could probably make a bigger difference just by getting some better tyres, which would be a lot cheaper than what you're quoting.

I'm actually about to get the a719 wheel rebuilt with new spokes so ask me again in a month or two and I might have some more thoughts.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    samsbike wrote:
    Am I correct that these dont come in a 36 hole and the alternative is velocity A23? I currently am running Mavic 719s and am wondering if another will make any difference to the ride and/ or handling.

cheers

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h-plus-son-archetype-road-rim/
  • samsbike
    I am already running hope hubs and a dynamo hub. I realise the spokes are probably plain guage as well hence thinking about the change, but its expensive and I should lose some weight first.