Do people use crosstop brake levers?

pmorgan1
pmorgan1 Posts: 173
edited February 2015 in Commuting general
Hi all,

I'm getting a new bike and thinking of fitting crosstop bars as I had them on the previous bike. Fellow commuters don't seem to use them often, so I'd like to know why. I liked them.

What do people think of crosstop brake levers?

Something like this (no promotion/no commission):

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... s-ec008804

Thank you for your opinion!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well I use crosstop levers, but they are the sole lever on a flat barred (and disc braked) bike (they were OE fit on a flat bared cannondale single speeder), I use them because they are lighter and 'more minimal' than normal levers, so not sure that helps you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Had them as standard on my winter fixed/occasional commute bike and find them a PITA, never use them and they just use up space on the bars making it awkward to fit lights etc. When the cables need replacing the crosstop levers will not be going back....
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    had them on my specialized tricross, never used them and they got in the way of the lights.
  • I'm in the process of removing mine from my new bike, for my needs of a bike, they only get in the way and look fugly.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    anthdci wrote:
    had them on my specialized tricross, never used them and they got in the way of the lights.

Ditto, rode the maiden journey with them then realised the space they were taking up on the bars to removed them and hid the outer cable join under the bar tape.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Funny how things go full circle, first there were just dropped levers, then they added the safety lever (had that on my 1970's raleigh!) then they used the crosstop, now nearly everyone is going back to just the regular lever, I guess it's the law of un intended consequences, the solution has caused more problems than it solved, what next? Maybe an electric trail brake button on the hoodz!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have one (Dirty Harry) on my fixed. Very good braking.

Isla bikes fit them to their drop bar models, which I think is a good thing for kids.
  • I have them on my boardman cx but that's specifically because it's a bike that gets the sort of use that needs them. All weather commuting / touring so frequently sat up and off the drops all the time, in an environment frequently on shared use paths where people love to try and get themselves run over a lot.

I wouldn't have them otherwise, they are a bit of a pain when mounting lights.
  • I have them on my boardman cx but that's specifically because it's a bike that gets the sort of use that needs them. All weather commuting / touring so frequently sat up and off the drops all the time, in an environment frequently on shared use paths where people love to try and get themselves run over a lot.

I wouldn't have them otherwise, they are a bit of a pain when mounting lights.

I had them on my CX but dumped them when I changed the groupset to 105. I found they introduced a degree of sloppyness into the brake line that was a pain to tune out. Plus they steal bar space and I wanted to fit a bar bag for touring. Don't miss them one bit!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Bought some four years ago, never fitted them. Seemed like too much hassle as I'd have to sort out the brake cables and bar tape.
  • Was curious to see what they would be like and if I could do the necessary fettling getting them to a Secteur I use for commuting. Quickly established that they use up most of the handlebar space necessitating bodge light fitting in Winter. Also made the bike look fugly and over complicated. Handy when filtering through traffic or emergency breaking when sitting up the but I never felt like they were 100% efficient and in turn they seemed to reduce the efficiency of the main brakes; you seem to lose something. After a few weeks I took them off and flogged them on EBay only losing a couple of quid in the process. Now I don't have them I don't miss them.

I would say that if you're reliant on braking because you commute from the top of hill and filter all the way then perhaps flat bars are the way ahead.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Does anyone make cable-> hydraulic crosstop levers?
  • pmorgan1
    pmorgan1 Posts: 173
    Despite various comments here - love them love them love them! Only took half hour or so to install, happy to share tips if anyone is interested. Perfect for commuting!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    pmorgan1 wrote:
    happy to share tips if anyone is interested.
    Oh - I don't think I'd bother taking them to the tip -someone might be prepared to part with a couple of quid for them - otherwise just put them in the bin ....
    pmorgan1 wrote:
    Perfect for commuting!
    Not really - you can't change gear from there ...

The only time I wouldn't have minded them was a dawdle ride from Dieppe to Paris - I was frequently on the tops and it would've been handy on a couple of occasions to be able to use them then ... otherwise I'm happy to just use the brakes from the hoods or drops...
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,511
    they were fitted to my commuter/CX bike when I bought it - ditched the front one as it took up unnecessary space on the bar and seemed to make the brake (cable disc) sloppy & more difficult to set up as sharply as I like.

At the time I kept the rear one as I thought it may be useful if I rode on the tops and it was the only way of adjusting the rear brake as there were no other barrel adjusters.

I now have a new rear caliper with barrel adjusters so when the cables/bar tape get changed, I'll ditch it - I pretty much never ride on the tops anyway.