Salsa cowbell handlebars

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Any Salsa Cowbell users out there? I fancy a pair for my single speed, especially due to the 12 degree flare on the drops, but was interested to hear if anyone here rates them? Between these and On One Midge bars, but think the Cowbells may be less of a compromise,..
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    I tried the Midge bars but they weren't particularly comfortable, they flared out a bit too much for my liking.
    I'm currently running a set of Cowbells on my Pro6 and love them. I'm seriously thinking about fitting a set to my road bike as well!
  • luv2ride
    Good to hear - think I'll give the Cowbells a go.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • luv2ride
    Salsa Cowbell 3's turned up today from Charlie the Bikemonger (great price, quick response to my email enquiry and quick delivery 8)). Now fitted to my Singlecross, no need for re-cabling and was able to reuse the bar tape. The flared drops look "interesting" - measure 42cm wide at the hoods (same width as my normal road bars) but 48cm c-c at the ends of the drops. Feel very comfy in the garage.

Bit late to test ride so beer wins for now and will give 'em a go tomorrow :lol:
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    Is that 42 c to c? Be intetested in your feedback and what advsntage/ comfort there is over road compact bars.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Me too. They look interesting.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • luv2ride
    Going out for first ride in minute (couldn't get out in today's sun :cry: ) so a night ride might be a good way to establish how the new bars "feel"! The bars were sold as 42cm width (confirmed by sticker on the sale card packaging) but this measurement is taken from where the hoods sit (c-c). However, they are much wider at ends of the drops. Not as dramatically flared as the On One Midge bars though, which also seemed to require a shorter stem with a steep rise, and placed the hoods at a very odd inward angle looking at most of the images I could find on t'net...back soon :D
  • luv2ride
    So, after a quick 15 miler shake down ride at -1 degrees in pitch black I can tell I like them! Very comfy on the drops and it opens up the chest a bit when climbing in the drops and feels like you get a little more leverage (these are on a singlespeed). Loving the Singlecross all over again :)

imagejpg3_zpse0593dae.jpg

imagejpg1_zps1936d860.jpg

Think the garage needs a clear up too!
  • samsbike
    thanks, do you find them an advantage at the hood position over normal road bars?
  • luv2ride
    I'd certainly say they were instantly comfortable, so on the hoods (where I tend to ride a lot) there wasn't much between these and the Spesh shallow ergo drops that were fitted before. On my other bikes I use FSA Wing Pros, which also have a very slight flare on the drops, but not much difference to those either at the hoods. The Cowbells do place the hoods on a slight inward angle, but this was actually very comfy. They also felt very comfortable when on the drops, and I used the drops a lot tonight. Tempted to get a pair for my Crosslight now....
  • samsbike
    Actually if the hood difference isnt that much I may give them a miss, as they are fractionally longer in reach than my genesis bars which are nice, except for the fact that they have an anatomic grip and I prefer a smooth round, if that makes sense.
  • passout
    Thanks for feedback - they look good. May well get them in the future for my commuter.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • luv2ride
    passout wrote:
    Thanks for feedback - they look good. May well get them in the future for my commuter.

When I emailed Charlie the Bikemonger their reply was they had a few in stock, would get some more on the 8th Dec but that it would be hard to get hold of them after that last supply. Not sure why that may be but as there didn't seem to a lot of UK stockists when I tried to find them, it might be worth hold of some sooner rather than later.
  • passout
    OK - cheers. Useful.
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    Luv2ride wrote:
    passout wrote:

When I emailed Charlie the Bikemonger their reply was they had a few in stock, would get some more on the 8th Dec but that it would be hard to get hold of them after that last supply. Not sure why that may be but as there didn't seem to a lot of UK stockists when I tried to find them, it might be worth hold of some sooner rather than later.

You may struggle to get hold of the Salsa bars in future as they no longer have a UK distributor :cry:

Thinking about it, I might just order a spare set in case I decide to fit some to the road bike.