Genesis Equilibrium Ti Disc.

cycleclinic
cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
edited December 2014 in Your road bikes
I plan to dot he PR sportive next year of course I need a Challange strada bianca 30mm tyres for that (well I don't but I want to try them). I tried fitting them in my Trek 2300 but they fouled the veloce calipers. Maybe changing the brakes would have solved that but hey I went for the most expensive solution. The other reason is the tyres were almost impossible to get onto the archetype rims and the other wheels I have with Pcanti SL23 the tyre were unmountable. I am not normally defeated by tyres but Challange tyres seem to be a special case. So what rims could I mount these tyres on. It turns out that they fit relatively easily to Veloicty Aileron rims well I say easily, it still takes a while to get the latex tube in but once it in the tyre is not too difficult to get on. The tyres on these wide rims come up at 31mm and there is still clearance. Could get mudguards in there if I wanted to.

So a disc brake bike is needed. Eyeing up the new 2015 Genesis range and being a tart the Ti Disc it had to be. Braking by Tektro -Hy/rd for this bike and Jagwire compressionless cables will help the brakes feel sharp. Being a really sensible bloke I built the wheel with the 24H rims and 24H Novatec D711 and D712 hubs (well no one else wanted them after a few months in the box so I thought I would use them) so this being a really sensible wheelset, I laced them up with Sapim CX-rays and alloy nipples in the pattern of the Italain flag. Well if if going to be daft I might as well do it properly. The up side is the the rear wheel weight 832g and the front 732g. A miche Supertypre cassette is fitted.

This being a sensible/daft build Deda SuperLeggero stem, bar and seat post are fitted. I have a Campagnolo Super Record RS partial group (shifters and mechs) to go on with a Campagnolo Comp Ultra chainset.

I will try a Brooks Cambium saddle on this. Well Brooks is owned by an italian company now. I expect the bike to weigh in 8.6kg. I have to fit some XT ice tech rotors and some Ti bolts. Of course I could drop a lot of weight by changing the tyres but no they are on I do not look forward to pulling them of.

Slow progress as I don't need it ready until April but it will be ready before.

P1010089_zps0624fae2.jpg
P1010090_zps3618dafb.jpg
P1010092_zps3f726b89.jpg
P1010091_zps8bf23e33.jpg
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    You ve bought a whole frame ( all be it a very beautiful one ) just to try a 30mm set of tyres, for one sportive you might need them for.

That reminds me the Ashtray on the Aston is full , better buy a Bentley.
  • cycleclinic
    Well I wanted the frame really this is just how I justifed it. It is number 11. Most of my bikes are 90's some hardly ever get used. I think this one will be used alot.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    If it's half as good as my 631 it will be worth it. I am going to try the brooks on mine too. Let me know how the brakes and wheels perform please as I am looking at both as possible future upgrades if I sell my cf bike.
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Looking really good, look forward to seeing the final build and suspect this one will get lots more use than just the odd sportive. The headtube looks fairly tall, what size is the frame?

I recently built up a kinesis gf-ti, I toyed with the idea of disk brakes, but managed to talk myself out of it. If I had gone with disks, this frame was definitely a front runner.
  • cycleclinic
    60cm and yes the head tube is huge. I will probably take the spacers out and have a slammed stem. Won't know until I set it up properly.
  • I thought BLB only had Aileron in 28 or 32...
    SO far so good... I am not a big fan of sloping frames, but it probably fits and rides well. Tyres are adequate for Paris Roubaix, however, I did find the Vittoria XN to be outstanding on the wet secteurs... I ran them tubeless at 60 PSI for Paris-Roubaix...
    It's a big ride and a proper adventure if you do the full thing
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    They brought in a few of the 24H rims and then sold out. They are gettign more but in January. I be running these at 60psi too. I wish the April even was the full route. I'll do it as a taster and then do the one that runs every two years. In fact is that due to run in 2016? Still the 170km route that will on the 11th April is probably hard enough if you try to ride it quickly.

In fact ugo, this is the first sloping road bike frame I have. I am also building up a Vitus 992. I just can't help myself.
  • As long as you've got all the Km of Pave' and you have to go from X to Roubaix, get up in the middle of the night,then it's the real deal... the audax they run in 2016 is 212 Km so even that one is not the full one... they no longer do the full one, I think 2010 was the last one they started from Compiegne... now they start from Bohain en Vermendois.
  • cycleclinic
    The one in april does all the secteurs in full I think.

the map is here http://www.sport.be/parisroubaix/2014/d ... rcours.pdf anyway
  • Lovely looking bike, can't wait to see it finished!
  • cycleclinic
    edited December 2014
    Finished, I leveled the saddle out after tkaing the photo's braking is excellent very progressive. I ended up putting Campagolo Record 10 speed on it inlcuding pedals and seat post. Italian flag in the wheels. Weight 9 kg as it is. Still got to fit the XT rotors, Ti bolt buy a ritchey fork, I may even fit schwable one tubeless tyres. With all that at least 0.5kg will be shed maybe more.
    Spec:
    60cm Genesis Ti equilibrium disc frame and fork
    FSA headset (1 1/8" external cup)
    24H velocity Aileron rims
    24H Novatec D711/D712 hubs
    Sapim CX-ray spokes/alloy nipples
    Challange strada tyres 30mm
    Vittoria latex inner tubes.
    Campagnolo record seat post - carbon 1 st gen
    Selle Italia Flite flow saddle
    Campagnolo Record square taper chainset
    Tifosi BB
    Campagnolo record Ti front and rear mechs
    Campagnolo Record 10 speed titanium cassette and lockring
    Campagnolo record chain
    Campagnolo Record QS 10 speed ergo's
    Jagwire compressionless cableset
    Tektro HY-RD 160mm brake caliper/rotors
    Deda Superleggera stem and handlebars
    Cinelli Cork tape

P1010118_zps8567f250.jpg
    P1010117_zps108992fc.jpg
  • Finished, I leveled the saddle out after tkaing the photo's braking is excellent very progressive. I ended up putting Campagolo Record 10 speed on it inlcuding pedals and seat post. Italian flag in the wheels. Weight 9 kg as it is. The super record will appear on the race bike for next year.

How about a camera for Christmas? These could easily be the worst photos ever posted on here... :roll:
  • cycleclinic
    Yes I need to buy one and then learn how to use it. Photograpghy is not a skill set I have ever had but the camera seems not to be able to focus well at the moment I blame it on my daugther who keeps picking it up. She's 3 and breaks stuff.
  • Yes I need to buy one and then learn how to use it. Photograpghy is not a skill set I have ever had but the camera seems not to be able to focus well at the moment I blame it on my daugther who keeps picking it up. She's 3 and breaks stuff.

You just replaced the photos with some marginally better ones... that's cheating! :wink:
  • I'm sure it will be adequate for PR, but it'd be perfect for Herefordshire's filthy cow sh*t strewn roads round here, but then it may be a shame to spoil it on these pot holed excuses for tarmac (Not bitter at all), looks a great ride, enjoy :D
  • cycleclinic
    Now the next question is which tyres for PR. Tubeless Schwable one or the Challange strada's. The 25mm Schwables are disapointly narrow on a Pacenti SL23 rim (24mm actual width) so I am not sure is the 28mm version will be wide enough to deal brick sized cobbles.

I will be riding this on suffolk filth strewn roads and down farm road/gravel roads to get it really filthy. Now I must enter PR as it opened today.
  • Now the next question is which tyres for PR. Tubeless Schwable one or the Challange strada's. The 25mm Schwables are disapointly narrow on a Pacenti SL23 rim (24mm actual width) so I am not sure is the 28mm version will be wide enough to deal brick sized cobbles.

I will be riding this on suffolk filth strewn roads and down farm road/gravel roads to get it really filthy. Now I must enter PR as it opened today.

The Schalbe should come at 27 mm on the Aileron.

I have used a pair of Vittoria XN for Paris Roubaix... 55-60 PSI, highly recommend them... perfect to hold speed on the cobbles and fast enough on the tarmac
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I also used Vittoria XN for a dry Paris Roubaix sportive, at 60psi. Wonderful tyre as Ugo says.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey