French Sports Personality of the Year

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,032
edited December 2014 in Pro race
As many of you will know Ravo Liv pro Pauline Ferrand Prevot has had a cracking year, World RR Champion, four times french champoin in MTB, Cyclocross, RR and TT as well as winning the Fleche Wallonne and getting a second in the Giro Donne. She's up for French sports personality of the year, the link to vote for her is here

http://www.sports.fr/prolongations/arti ... !-1149687/

there is some tough competition, Martin Forcade brought back a whole treasure chest of medals from Sotchi and "housewives' choice" Renaud Levillnie broke the 21 year old pole vault record. But it's not cycling, is it?

Who knows? If she wins she can maybe get a new bike and shades?

1964959_604894196283678_7810880474300445785_n.jpg?oh=7a45fca4685de9e837faf1e9cc3d4527&oe=550A6185
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• She is pretty but was also the one of the riders who was deliberately blocking Mara Abbott in the Giro Donne - extremely poor sportsmanship.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    She is pretty but was also the one of the riders who was deliberately blocking Mara Abbott in the Giro Donne - extremely poor sportsmanship.

Well, you could see things that way but she a pro so it is about winning and supporting her team. If Mara was strong enough she could have ridden away.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • She is pretty but was also the one of the riders who was deliberately blocking Mara Abbott in the Giro Donne - extremely poor sportsmanship.

Judging female athletes on their looks? Class act
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

To be fair, he's gender neutral in this respect.
  • andyp wrote:

To be fair, he's gender neutral in this respect.

I have to admit that did make me laugh.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • davidof wrote:
    She is pretty but was also the one of the riders who was deliberately blocking Mara Abbott in the Giro Donne - extremely poor sportsmanship.

Well, you could see things that way but she a pro so it is about winning and supporting her team. If Mara was strong enough she could have ridden away.

The problem was she was being repetitively physically blocked.

Definitely a strong rider though. Would be nice if she tried some solo moves on the road next year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I was glad Vos didn't win again
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I was glad Vos didn't win again

Is there no end to her talents?

Multiple world champion in road, track and cross, multiple Olympic champion and you're saying she also managed to win French Sports Personality of the Year despite being Dutch!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I meant the world championships :-) But yes, I'm glad she didn't win that either ;-)
  • That race was a classic of dumb tactics. A break of 4, 3 of them racing to not lose to the 4th... they all get their wish.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    davidof wrote:

No, it was a poor show and had nothing to do in a bike race.
  • That race was a classic of dumb tactics. A break of 4, 3 of them racing to not lose to the 4th... they all get their wish.

Losing position. Just like your last.
    Contador is the Greatest

Losing position. Just like your last.

Your only positive assessment of the current world champion was her looks.

Maybe look at your own position first.

@gietvangent
  • Nothing wrong with what I said. I have also commented about her a lot in the past.

What do you do to increase interest in women's cycling?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Nothing wrong with what I said. I have also commented about her a lot in the past.

What do you do to increase interest in women's cycling?

I used to organise races, coach juniors and am currently looking to put up British junior and u23 cyclocross riders of both genders here in Belgium so they can further their ambitions.

And you?

@gietvangent
  • Great stuff. Hope your happy.

Do you advise those youngsters to physically gang up and block another rider if they havent got the legs to hold them?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Great stuff. Hope your happy.

Do you advise those youngsters to physically gang up and block another rider if they havent got the legs to hold them?

No, but then they aren't looking for continued employment in a pretty precarious market from me.

I'm not condoning that move, it was the most negative way they could possibly have used their numbers.

I apologise if I read too much onto a throwaway remark but it's one of my bugbears when women's sport is reduced to a beauty contest.

@gietvangent
  • I can see how my comment could have been construed as such but rest assured I dont watch women cycle to spot the pretty ones!
    Contador is the Greatest