Anyone buying a Sony 4K Ultra HD TV?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Looked about 12 months ago and didn't bother. The content I belive is yet to be compliant, although that may have changed?

Got a Panasonic instead with a Apple TV and is the dog danglies.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    Wait 6months till they bring a new one out or wait 12 moths till they bring and either better one out and then wait even longer untill they have dropped the 4k down to poverty spec and have a tv that can cook your dinner and even clean your bike maybe??
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • No point in 4K as 5K is already being used for cinematic filming. I think this is one of those occasions where it is probably better to hold on a while if you are buying a seriously large tv.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Who broadcasts in 4k ?
    I seen one for less than a grand in south africa but sadly wouldn't go in my case on the way back but having spoken to a tech friend of mine, he said its useless for the reasons "sigorman85" said above.
    Living MY dream.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I recall buying my last TV before this one - just when HD ready was coming out and I opted for a non HD Ready 42" plasma ex-display from John lewis as it was half the price of anything close. Lasted me 6 years no problem - got £50 on ebay for it and bought a 3D smart 50" TV to replace it 2 years ago at about the time HD went mainstream.

I also have a 3D projector based cinema room connected to some fairly old (but high end) 7 : 2 set-up.

A couple of things that I have found brilliant for streaming: With my Synology NAS & 3d Mede8er, I can stream content from my NAS to my TV, Jongo, computer, iPad, iPhone, cinema etc. control all of them with my iphone/ipad, browse my content like a netflix catalog, even though my amp is 10 years old and doesn't have a USB socket let alone an HDMI or network port.

IMO image quality is secondary to sound. Its the sound that makes the experience, though a 2.5M wide screen is a bonus.
  • As the European broadcasters haven't decided on a UHD or 4K specification yet then the chances of any set you buy today being able to display whatever UHD is broadcast is slim. There is talk of teh future of broadcasting being less about the size of the picture (number of pixels) and more about the quality of the image (higher frame rate, increased colour range).
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    diy wrote:

I also have a 3D projector based cinema room connected to some fairly old (but high end) 7 : 2 set-up.

IMO image quality is secondary to sound. Its the sound that makes the experience, though a 2.5M wide screen is a bonus.

That sounds like an odd perspective from a man with a 3D projector and cinema room (I am genuinely jealous though none the less.) Could I be so bold as to inquire about the make of your projector?
  • diy
    edited December 2014
    http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/co ... view/11236

I chose this because it can throw pretty wide over a short distance and is reasonably bright. My Cinema room is something like 14' x 15' and by the time you have the ceiling mount and plenty of room for ventilation between the back wall (which has curtains and black out), you are looking at starting to compromise the size of the picture. I also needed a bit of keystone correction due to ceiling mount.

The only problem is I have IR light switches which get triggered when in 3D mode so you have to put post-it notes over the sensors.

I have control of two rooms in my house - this one and the garrage. The rest is your normal fluffy throws, cushions and candles :roll: that wimin are obsessed with.

The glasses are a bit pricey, but you can get non OEM ones for £20 a pair which are rechargeable on ebay. They work pretty well as long as you take them off if you leave the room as you have to pair them with the image.

I have it connected to this http://www.mede8er.eu/en/index.php?d=1000x3d-blk via HDMI cable running under floor which then connects to the Amp via optical out (old skool) and the NAS via a powerline network. You don't need the NAS/network as the Mede8er can hold a hard disk and has a USB3 input.
  • Pituophis
    diy wrote:
    http://www.epson.co.uk/gb/en/viewcon/corporatesite/products/mainunits/overview/11236

I chose this because it can throw pretty wide over a short distance and is reasonably bright. My Cinema room is something like 14' x 15' and by the time you have the ceiling mount and plenty of room for ventilation between the back wall (which has curtains and black out), you are looking at starting to compromise the size of the picture. I also needed a bit of keystone correction due to ceiling mount.

The only problem is I have IR light switches which get triggered when in 3D mode so you have to put post-it notes over the sensors.

I have control of two rooms in my house - this one and the garrage. The rest is your normal fluffy throws, cushions and candles :roll: that wimin are obsessed with.

The glasses are a bit pricey, but you can get non OEM ones for £20 a pair which are rechargeable on ebay. They work pretty well as long as you take them off if you leave the room as you have to pair them with the image.

I have it connected to this http://www.mede8er.eu/en/index.php?d=1000x3d-blk via HDMI cable running under floor which then connects to the Amp via optical out (old skool) and the NAS via a powerline network. You don't need the NAS/network as the Mede8er can hold a hard disk and has a USB3 input.

It looks like a nice compact unit and the Lumens seem quite reasonable for home cinema.
    I work for a British projector manufacturer, but they are mostly sold to the professional or "seriously wealthy" U.S. markets (though looking at the price of some bikes these days, I might be over estimating that, it could be that its just me that's poor! :shock: ) Some of the home cinema units on the market now do have some very good images for the money from the few I have seen.
    I love the totally unobtainable contrast ratios you see given for TV's and projectors though. In the real world 10000:1 would be very good, though the up and coming 4 chip projectors should have a positive effect on these figures. There is a lot of serious (almost accepted) exaggeration across the industry unfortunately, for both lumens and contrast. But then who is going to check them at home? :(

I am reliably informed that 8k systems (TV) are currently under development but will not be seen for a few years to come yet, so if someone has bought a new TV and is gutted about the appearance of 4k, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't even have a 3D TV and have no intention of getting one as the service is not of high enough quality, or just not there yet to make it worth while for poor folks.
    Bring back CRT :D
  • It amazes me that people spend a small fortune on tv's, then have the colours/brightness turned up to unrealistic levels. If you can afford to pay for a high quality tv, then at least budget to get it calibrated.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Pituophis wrote:
    Bring back CRT :D
    What!!! :shock: I only got rid of mine last month.
  • diy
    most of the films I watch are 720 or 1080 and the 3D stuff I tend to go for is half side by side or top and bottom, so not even watching at blu ray quality.

As said at the start - its really about the sound. previous projector was an infocus cost Lots and was massive.
  • Pituophis
    diy wrote:
    most of the films I watch are 720 or 1080 and the 3D stuff I tend to go for is half side by side or top and bottom, so not even watching at blu ray quality.

As said at the start - its really about the sound. previous projector was an infocus cost Lots and was massive.

Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not being all "elitist" and sarky! 95%+ of the units we make are full 3D enabled projectors, and there is some really good 3D stuff out there. I think it will be a few years still though until the film makers themselves can really get to grips with how to generate a really good, watchable 3D movie that is more than just a gimmick. It will definitely come in time, and should be a great visual experience.

It's 3D TV's that I think are a waste of money not projectors, and only because I think that people are being "marketed" into thinking that they should get one now. The amount and quality of 3D TV out there really doesn't justify the cost. By the time the service is there, the current TV's will be on their way out. :D
    We all have 1080p TV's, and yet how much of the stuff you REALLY get to watch on TV (not DVD's) is in 1080P? And now they have us buying 3D as well. Get rid of that, 4k is here, no 5k, no 8k. Its consumer overload!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Go 7k, 5k is old hat.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dont the latest Go Pros film in 4K - so you could use it for rewatching your rides ?
  • how much of the stuff you REALLY get to watch on TV (not DVD's) is in 1080P?

None. All HD terrestrial broadcast TV is interlaced in the UK as 1080i/50. I think cable and satellite are the same, or a lower res (ie. 'HD' at 720i)
  • Pituophis
    how much of the stuff you REALLY get to watch on TV (not DVD's) is in 1080P?

None. All HD terrestrial broadcast TV is interlaced in the UK as 1080i/50. I think cable and satellite are the same, or a lower res (ie. 'HD' at 720i)

:wink: Correct. Didn't stop the marketing guys persuading us to buy them though did it. :shock:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    Pituophis wrote:

:wink: Correct. Didn't stop the marketing guys persuading us to buy them though did it. :shock:
    Not me. I still only have a lowly 1080i.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001

Some of the BBC HD broadcasts are 1080p, Some are 1080i/50Hz. I have seen my TV report both being used when watching OTA HD.
  • pinno
    You can buy the all the latest tech from HD do 'Smart' to surround sound but what's on the telly is total and utter crap 24/7. Apart from the odd sporting event.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:

Not me. I still only have a lowly 1080i.

I take your 1080i, and lower it to 720P :D (it is Plasma though, so beats 1080P LCD's :-) )
  • pblakeney
    I take your 1080i, and lower it to 720P :D (it is Plasma though, so beats 1080P LCD's :-) )
    Well, my 1080i is 720P so there is not much between them.
    And mine is LCD. Back to you. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    Mine has a clockwork device at the back and sits in the corner inside a home made wooden cabinet made from old pallets and it only gets switched on for Chalmonderley Warner bottom's most excellent documentaries about every day life for working class citizens of this nation.

Is anyone listening?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Totally pointless in my view. Cable is much lower res, and I can already see the joins on much of what I watch on HD. It actually detracts from the enjoyment rather than adds to it as actors look like actors, sets look like sets.

Waste of money.
  • diy
    Daft thing is I hardly ever watch live tv. Maybe one or two shows and a bit of news. Everthing else is films, or TV series and we stream those. That is really the point of a smart TV. Apart from being able to control it with your phone if you can't find the remote.
  • pblakeney
    diy wrote:
    Daft thing is I hardly ever watch live tv. Maybe one or two shows and a bit of news. Everthing else is films, or TV series and we stream those. That is really the point of a smart TV. Apart from being able to control it with your phone if you can't find the remote.
    A TV for me these days is little more than a large computer monitor.
    Add on a HiFi surround sound system and you have films/series/sport heaven as well as an infinite music library.
    Veronese68 wrote: