Weather Station

Drew123
Drew123 Posts: 61
edited December 2014 in Commuting chat
Right, itb mentions his weather station in a recent post. I'm guessing that a lot of commuters out there must have one. What should I get? I started listing all kinds of stuff I'd like but what have you got, what does it do and how much did it cost?

Comments

• qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    I have http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

Also, looking out of the window.

I know this doesn't help, or maybe it does?
  • Qube wrote:

Kind of. I like the met office app, but it's not local enough and it is a forecast, not current reading....
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    That's where the looking out of the window comes in. :D
  • You'll want something like: this

Oregon Scientific always seems to pop up (I have one) but you need the outside temp sensor and you need to put the external temp probe out of the Sun. You can usually feed the wire through the window frame without a problem
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Oregon with outdoor hydro sensors x how many you want, spot on 100% of the time I'm thinking of sending a couple to the metoffice, no need of a new super computer.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I use Wunderground app - draws data from lots of local folk with their own weather stations so you can see what it's like along your entire route. Also a weather radar overlay. I had thought about my own station but this rendered the idea redundant.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I use Wunderground app - draws data from lots of local folk with their own weather stations so you can see what it's like along your entire route. Also a weather radar overlay. I had thought about my own station but this rendered the idea redundant.

This.

There's someone on the exact midpoint of my commute, and it's always the coldest bit. Their PWS lets me see whether it's going to be icy or not (and hence, at the moment sadly, whether I bother riding in).
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Drew123 wrote:
    Qube wrote:

Kind of. I like the met office app, but it's not local enough and it is a forecast, not current reading....

Look out of the window for current conditions then use this for forecast http://uk.weather.com/ the hour by hour is far more accurate than metoffice
  • itboffin
    Wunderground is good but too many contributors have put their stations in the wrong place, such as my neighbour who's managed to block all but the most persistent gusts from registering.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I use Wunderground app - draws data from lots of local folk with their own weather stations so you can see what it's like along your entire route. Also a weather radar overlay. I had thought about my own station but this rendered the idea redundant.

Me too. I've wanted a weather station for ages, though, I find the subject and technology interesting. But as far as local weather for cyclists go, the Internet is great for that. My local well maintained (apparently) Wunderground station is several hundred yards away, he has his weather vane and temperature sensor well away from his house and trees. That's all I really want to know, how cold is it (so I can dress appropriately based on what is needed at 'n' temperature) and which way the wind is blowing and how fast.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I find this reasonably useful. If it's blanket rain across the country you're gonna get wet but... sometimes the rain moves in bands so you can try to time your departure to make it home before the next load comes over.
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    We have one of these:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-usb-wir ... ntre-n96gy

It's not bad - the outdoor setup is on the roof of our conservatory, and the receiver/display in the hall. Of course it's not so much of a forecaster as a "telling you what it is now" device.
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • Kurako wrote:
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I find this reasonably useful. If it's blanket rain across the country you're gonna get wet but... sometimes the rain moves in bands so you can try to time your departure to make it home before the next load comes over.

+1 for www.raintoday.co.uk always check before I go out, has saved me from a good soaking many a time.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Seajays wrote:
    We have one of these:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/black-usb-wir ... ntre-n96gy

It's not bad - the outdoor setup is on the roof of our conservatory, and the receiver/display in the hall. Of course it's not so much of a forecaster as a "telling you what it is now" device.
    The wife got me what looks to be the same thing for Christmas a couple of years ago, but came from a Clas Ohlson I think. Does the job.
  • You'll want something like: this

Oregon Scientific always seems to pop up (I have one) but you need the outside temp sensor and you need to put the external temp probe out of the Sun. You can usually feed the wire through the window frame without a problem

Yep, I have that one (well it looks the same). My outdoor sensor is wireless. I choose clothing according to what it says every commute I do. This morning, 4.7 degrees.
  • Have a look here...

http://shop.weatherstations.co.uk/

Seriously considered getting getting a Vantage Pro 2 at one point.
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Lidl have one on offer for £39.99 at the moment
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Real men just need to know the temperature. Wind? Pah. Rain? Pah - just need to know if there's ice so I can use the studs. :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely going to use Wunderground - there is a station just up the road from me, although the temperature readings look a little on the high side.

I'm tempted to get myself a weather station too. Might dip my toe in the water with the Lidl one at £40.
  • itboffin
    0.2c
  • itboffin
    -4 everything has turned white, I'd say its time for the MTB to make an appearance
  • itboffin wrote:
    -4 everything has turned white, I'd say its time for the MTB to make an appearance

It was rather white though Bushy Park before 7am quite crunchy under the tyres.
  • itboffin
    Made it to a whole +2c today for a couple of hours back in the minus now
  • itboffin
    10C today felt tropical
  • Should be rename this thread "ITB's temperature reports"? :wink:
  • itboffin
    Well duh yes!
  • Returning to the original topic, I had settled on the cheapest Oregon inside / outside unit, but Mrs123 discovered that even the more expensive ones are only £40 or so on Amazon, so that's what I'll be unwrapping on my birthday...

In the meantime I'll just have to wait for itb's next update...
  • Yes - I have a very naff-looking Ferrari branded station - but it was stupidly cheap and it still gave temp and RH inside and outside. I've stopped using it now though because Wunderground is better. Temperatures around the the Black Isle can vary quite a bit (often very different conditions on my old commute)