Which Bike Chain tool?

Shinto
Shinto Posts: 9
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Hey guys,

I'm after a new bike chain tool, in fact my first one for taking out links, do you have to buy an expensive one or is there one you guys recommend?

Cheers!

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    The Topeak one is good but don't buy the cheap ones on ebay as they are shite and break the first time you use them.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Universa ... tAodZWcAFg
  • What groupset are you using? Can preclude some chain tools.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    workshop - Pedros
    on bike - Park
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    DJ58 wrote:

Use to carry a multi tool with a chain breaker but could not break a chain with it, I now carry the park brute which works great.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    £2:99 Planet X one. Did my chain with it, and we had to use it today when a link broke on my mates bike 30 miles from Bakewell. It cracked the chains no bother at all.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Park Brute.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I have used a "Cyclo" all metal one (under £10) for about 15 to 20 years, many times. It could do with the pin replacing but the tool itself is bombproof.

wlgiSiP.jpg

I am eventually going to get that "expensive" Park Tool CT3.2 for home use and take a new Cyclo one out with me on rides.

You might need quite a lot of leverage on the smaller ones and well, nobody wants that. :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The multi tool ones are usually so fiddly to use that you'll never get them to work - especially out on the road. The one above is probably best for on the road.

If you can get the chain links - do that and then you dont need to faff round when you're taking the chain off to clean it.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    cattytown wrote:
    What groupset are you using? Can preclude some chain tools.

Paul.

What?? All chains have the same pin size. My Park Tool CT-5 has happily worked on 8, 9, 10 and 11 speed chains. The width does differ of course, but I've not yet bent any plates. And I don't rejoin using pins (except on the 8 speed Shimano chain), I always use a "missing link". I've done so on Campag, SRAM and KMC chains. Never bought a Shimano chain but I wouldn't worry if I did.

So your comment is nonsense IMO.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    rafletcher wrote:
    cattytown wrote:
    What groupset are you using? Can preclude some chain tools.

Paul.

What?? All chains have the same pin size. My Park Tool CT-5 has happily worked on 8, 9, 10 and 11 speed chains. The width does differ of course, but I've not yet bent any plates. And I don't rejoin using pins (except on the 8 speed Shimano chain), I always use a "missing link". I've done so on Campag, SRAM and KMC chains. Never bought a Shimano chain but I wouldn't worry if I did.

So your comment is nonsense IMO.

Good to know. I bought a CT-5 without knowing it was listed as for use on only up to 10 speed (have so far only used it on the 10 speed bike). Have previously searched to see if you could get away with using it on 11 speed but had found nothing on the internet.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I know how to put a pin back in a chain and I'm not joking. :mrgreen: Tools required - a chain tool.

Awaiting the thread where that guy (who as far as I can tell wasn't trolling) said he can do it and spent more money than a chain would cost trying.
  • Pedro > Park. Expensive but worth it, in my opinion. I've got a lezyne multitool with a chain splitter for on the bike, but so far haven't had the chance to test it, thankfully!
  • I agree with the Cyclo all metal tools. I have a similar one that is unbranded (they all used to look like that as far as I can remember) but they are pretty much made of only two sturdy pieces of metal so are pretty difficult to break.