The big advertising thread

Comments

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I clicked on one Wiggle advert. I wouldn't mind if the adverts were for products actually in stock :lol:

There's nothing more annoying than the intrusive adverts that keep on popping up are for items not even available.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Me too

Windows 7, Firefox and a laptop

So irritating that I got a yellow card from the mods for my rant on Cake Stop :oops:

And I wouldn't bank with HSBC if they were the last bank on earth, would rather put money under the mattress :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,928
    I see you have found a new way to piss off forum users with more instrusive advertising.

Ads on top of posted images.

I will continue to use the forum but will be slightly more angry than before.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Maybe we need a "don't buy these brands" thread to list all of the offending advertisers. And of course if the mods are on our side as they claim it could be made a stickie!
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    As with nearly all the posts on this topic I am becoming extremely infuriated by the constant moving around of the B R content. I have no objection to stationary Ads.

Is there any program that can be used to stop these adverts ?

I am running Windows 7 with firefox, using ADV as protection.

P S It's this advice I and possibly others want not a '' ooh I cannot do anything for you'' response.

So fingers out please B R , it is after all your site and not the advertisers.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The forum is slowly becoming unuseable. Even typing this post, my first sentence became "rum is slowly becoming unuseable.The fo" because the jumping and flickering adverts - taking "an age" to load - make the cursor jump about.

Another time, I was about to click on "Pro Race", the page jumped down (because of that infernal RAF advertisement) and I ended up clicking on a MTB thread.

We all understand the need for advertisements, but fewer of us are going to see them, if they became so intrusive.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Can't you configure your pages to stop them bouncing?

The page opens, I go to click a link and the the advert starts to load and the whole page moves down by the height of the banner resulting me clicking a different link to the one I wanted as the page has just moved.

It is Firkin annoying and it only requires you to protect for a stock sized advert for it not to happen!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    Another time, I was about to click on "Pro Race", the page jumped down (because of that infernal RAF advertisement) and I ended up clicking on a MTB thread.

That's the quality filter kicking in. Or destiny.
    (Ditch the lycra - we want you on the dark-side. :D )
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I was just about to post about this. As you say, it's incredibly annoying and killing the usability of the site.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Same for me too - and an my Sony Xperia with standard browser.

I'll manhandle the tech team.
  • mac book pro, using firefox - ads jumping, things moving when you go to click them, intensely frustrating, no longer using the forum. thanks.
  • +1 These adverts are so annoying completely taking over the screen. I try to click on a link and suddenly the page is dwarfed by this great big bouncing banner ad.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
  • This website forum is getting harder to use. Slow painful clicking and response time because of those silly ads which are old fashioned annoying. Website design has moved on guys (this isn't 2001) where we had the dot.com boom and in-your-face pop up advertising.

Please sort out less intrusive advertising - its getting boring, annoying and mind-numbing.

Time to switch to Road-CC I think.
  • Bouncing pages disappeared yesterday but they are back again today. And a great big wacking advert right in the middle when I'm trying to write something ....... Sort it out bikeradar - can you please use more subtle advertising. Don't slap it in my face !!!!!!!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I did a very stupid thing?

I was intrigued by an advert for something I knew existed but had not seen either in pictures or in the flesh (so to speak) so I clicked on it.

Something called doubleclick.net started but then did very little for quite a long time (in terms of internet speed, a superfast connection and my current level of expectation when moving between websites) and eventually the product website appeared.

By the time it fully rendered (it was a bit like the old dial up stuff) I had lost interest and, mentally, had moved on so all the page got was a passing glance and then I hit the "x".

I wonder if anyone has done a survey of users here to ask what they think of the website and the advertising.......

oh heck.....

perhaps I shouldn't have said anything.

I wonder if any of the advertisers actually read the forum?

Well the big bouncy PITA adverts are back and as a result so is that Chrome Browser add on which stops then being, well, so big, bouncy and annoying.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    The page opens, I go to click a link and the the advert starts to load and the whole page moves down by the height of the banner resulting me clicking a different link to the one I wanted as the page has just moved.

This.

We've had this nonsense before too. Sort it out!

I can just about handle the advert down the side but the banner at the top is just daft.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Intersting that at home I have installed an app which stops the ads screwing up the page.

At work my laptop os locked down and I can't change any settings or add anysoftware. When I come here on my owrk PC the ads down the side flash for a millisecond and then disappear for good, never to be seen again. IE9 so not the most up to date browser. I wonder what the company has done to inhibit adverts?
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I've requested that the ads that are appearing in the middle of the page (often overlaying text) are blocked. They shouldn't be there.

Unfortunately after switching over to a new set of ad formats, some slipped through the net and are appearing where they shouldn't be

We will also look at the drop downs that move the page down (bad user experience). We should be able to set the size of the ad container so that they load within that and not expand to fill the space
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • plowmar
    coincidentally, the last two/three times that i have logged on, i have c licked on the 'road' header on the home page rather than leave the 'all' header highlighted. going then into the unseen road posts there is no screen shift adverts although those in the middle of the posts remain.
  • BonnyCH
    BonnyCH Posts: 29
    plowmar wrote:
    coincidentally, the last two/three times that i have logged on, i have c licked on the 'road' header on the home page rather than leave the 'all' header highlighted. going then into the unseen road posts there is no screen shift adverts although those in the middle of the posts remain.

Hi Plowmar, sorry about this. Can you let me know what browser you're using to access the site please? We'll try to replicate the problem and find a way to fix it.

Thanks for letting us know,

Bonny
    Part of the BikeRadar Digital Team - Interim Community Manager (holiday cover for AndyEd)
  • plowmar
    Hi Bonny I'm using mozilla firefox at least I think that's their names. I don't have a problem though as the original problem was the slow loading of the large adverts. making the screen jump around.

Using the technique I outlined this has ceased to happen, coincidental or otherwise, I haven't tested it going back to going to 'forum' via the 'all' heading highlighted.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Well, at least there is some fun to be had. I just had some childish but satisfying amusement filling in the marketing survey for female cyclists from the point of view of a 98 year-old female unicyclist. The ad banner for this has recently been blocking the BR page for me every time I go there.

Seriously, I'll bet that at least half of the people who fill this in right to the end are taking the p1ss and the data is completely valueless.

Incidentally, you are not allowed in this survey to enter an age over 100 for when you took up cycling. Surely this is ageist?
  • Hi,

just attempeted to look through the gallery on the new pro tour bikes article. I had to close an add for sufferfest over 20 times! It was impossible to view :( . The add pops up in place of the photo when clicking through. I will now go over to cycling news to see if it posted on there instead.
  • Jeff Jones
    Hi Naylor,

Thanks for pointing that out, I've asked for those ads to be restricted.

We are working on a new gallery that will be an improvement on what we have now (both from a looks better and an ads point of view)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply/update. Good to here it's in hand :)
  • Jeff Jones
    Hi Naylor, it is. What device/browser/OS did you see it on? it may only be happening in certain cases, which we can address
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • As above, if you look at the Tour 2015 Gallery maximised and use the arrows either side of the pic I get an advert every 2 slides, if I navigate using the thumbnails underneath I don't get any (Firefox)

Edit - I take it back, I went back to the page and got the advert every couple of slides either way
  • Jeff Jones
    It should be every three slides you get an ad

It used to be (until we introduced a new gallery in June 2014) every image you'd get several ads. So it has improved from a user point of view since then.

That said we are working on a better gallery that should improve the images and quality of the ads.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,928
    Seriously guys, that Volvo ad?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I see the ridiculous obtrusive advertising is back. Just had some stupid ad for a car cover the whole screen.

I still don't get how the folk behind the site and the ads can be so stupid to think that irritating adverts actually work. They p!ss people off - p!ssed off people don't buy your stupid products!
    More problems but still living....