Lighter Tyres For Hybrid

CitizenLee
CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
edited December 2014 in Commuting general
Hey,

I’m thinking about some new tyres for the Cube as the currently fitted Schwalbe Road Cruisers are 705g each, which is only a few gs lighter than the tyres on my MTB!

Looking on CRC I thought it would be as easy as choosing a tyre for my big bike, but it’s all a bit confusing with internal widths, external widths, ETRTO, “c” etc to consider, and they all seem to be really skinny!

What I’m after:
Lightweight
Folding
Similar width to Road Cruisers (says 42x622 on them)
Puncture Protection
Good on greasy tarmac

Is this the tyre equivalent of asking for a frame that’s both light, strong and cheap? IE you can only have 2 out of 3.

Either way, around £30 per tyre would be my upper budget and I have no brand alliance, although I always seem to swap between Conti and Schwalbe on the MTB.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Lee
Current:
NukeProof Mega FR 2012
Cube NuRoad 2018
Previous:
2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited December 2014
    You can fit an 28", 29" or 700c tyre, I'd suggest a 32mm as a good compromise between rolling resistance, aero drag and comfort.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    The Rookie wrote:
    You can fit an 28", 29" or 700c tyre, I'd suggest a 32mm as a good compromise between rolling resistance, aero drag and comfort.

Cheers Rookie. 32mm does sound like a good compromise and opens up a lot more options than looking for 42s.

Reckon they'd still be comfy enough though?
    DJ58 wrote:

Thanks DJ. Those Gravel Kings look like they would be ideal, but again I'd worry 28mm might be a bit narrow for all the pot holes and Tremors style cracks in the roads!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee
    Thanks DJ, much appreciated. Just had a quick look through the links…

The Panaracer CX and Conti Winters are perhaps a bit much for my ride, although it would be great if it snows enough this winter to justify the Contis! I’m actually looking forward to a proper dump of snow!

The Panaracer RiBMo RT seems ok though, so I’ll look for some reviews. All the other Urban series seem to be steel bead, which I’d like to avoid.

The Vittoria Randonneur Pro / Pro II is definitely a consideration, and nice and cheap too!

I was also looking at Schwalbe Marathon Supremes as they come in bigger sizes (40x700, although I still may try 35) and aren’t as heavy as the standard M or M+. Reviews seem to be very favourable and they don’t seem to suffer the same dead ride effect as the other Marathon models, yet still keep the P Fairy at bay. The downside is they’re not cheap, but then should last long enough to offset the price.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Ah, i've been looking out for some Randonneur's for a while, cheers for the link.

Be careful with marathons, I wanted to run them, but the extra tread height the protection gives meant they didn't clear my mudgaurds/frame.
  • CitizenLee
    Peat wrote:
    Ah, i've been looking out for some Randonneur's for a while, cheers for the link.

Be careful with marathons, I wanted to run them, but the extra tread height the protection gives meant they didn't clear my mudgaurds/frame.

Thanks for the heads up Peat!

Frame should have clearance as I'd be downsizing from 42mm Road Cruisers + at this point I'm still too pig-headed to fit guards :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    A + here for the Randonneurs,been on the cross bike since August with no problems at all;ok on road,cycle paths and light off-road(not wet grass or mud though).In fact I have another set ready to go on the old Trek hybrid once I get it re-built.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • CitizenLee
    oldbazza wrote:
    A + here for the Randonneurs,been on the cross bike since August with no problems at all;ok on road,cycle paths and light off-road(not wet grass or mud though).In fact I have another set ready to go on the old Trek hybrid once I get it re-built.

Which ones as I notice there are a quite few sub models in the Randonneur range? Pro, Pro II & Pro Road etc. Big price difference too.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I started out on RibMo's and they were great in the dry but lethal in the wet
  • CitizenLee
    gbsahne wrote:

*strikes RiBMos off list*

Thank you gb, that rules them useless for me then ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    CitizenLee wrote:
    gbsahne wrote:

*strikes RiBMos off list*

Thank you gb, that rules them useless for me then ;)

No worries, currently using Raddoneur Pro's on the CX (32c although they look more like 28c on the bike) and "Top Contact Winter II" on the hybrid, for when there's a sniff of ice about.
  • CitizenLee
    Thanks again ;)

I was in Halfords at lunchtime and had a gander at their tyre selection. Decided that anything under 32mm is definitely going to be a too narrow for me.

Still liking those Supremes!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Plain Marathon (ie not the Plus) 32mm is my goto rubber for everyday road commuting. It isn't as sporty as some but is tough and reliable and quick enough.
  • CitizenLee
    MichaelW wrote:
    Plain Marathon (ie not the Plus) 32mm is my goto rubber for everyday road commuting. It isn't as sporty as some but is tough and reliable and quick enough.

Yeah they do seem to be one of the most popular commuting tyres, no doubt for good reason. However, I'm keen to shed some rotational weight as I do find the bike a touch sluggish on the off with the current 42 Road Cruisers, and I think Marathon and Marathon Plus are around the 700g mark too. I'm no weight weenie, but wheels and tyres are the one area where I do think you can make considerable / noticable weight savings. Hopefully the Supremes offer best of both worlds.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • The Rookie
    I have a RiBMo on the rear of mine (26" but doubt that makes a difference), and found it great, no issues with grip in wet or dry, wears well and rolls fast, I'd have another.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    Just won a brand new 37x622 Marathon Supreme on eBay for £16 shipped! Now to find another for muchos cheapness :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I was about t osay go for the Randonneur Pro in a 37 or Randonneur Pro Cross also in 37. I run the Pro Cross on my CX bike and they roll well, have a bit of tread and seem to be fairly sturdy. Hopefully I haven't tempted fate with that last comment.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Based solely on this thread :D I've gone for a pair of 37mm Randonneur Pro Folding for £9.99 each at Planet X for my CAADX (CX Randonneurs the same price)
    Sammy Slicks just not making the cut on the commute - 4 incidents in 3 weeks
  • The Rookie
    The cheap sammy slicks aren't very good in road.
  • CitizenLee
    I'm still trying to find another Marathon Supreme in 37-622 for under £30.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Try the Specialized Espoir Sport for £15 each I got 4000 miles out of mine and only a couple of punctures. They come in 28mm and 30mm for comfort. Wet grip is good they are wired it's £10 more for the folding Elite version.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • CitizenLee
    Try the Specialized Espoir Sport for £15 each I got 4000 miles out of mine and only a couple of punctures. They come in 28mm and 30mm for comfort. Wet grip is good they are wired it's £10 more for the folding Elite version.

They seems great, but a bit narrow for this bike. Now if they came in 38, or even 35 I'd be interested.

Appreciate the suggestion though ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    After another deflation last night (5th in three weeks - 1 in the previous 2 years on Gators and GPS11), the postman came with a timely order. Two new tyres now fitted. Time will tell