First Frozen Ride

seajays
seajays Posts: 331
edited December 2014 in Commuting chat
…and I don't mean the disney movie.

First time properly below zero today at -2°C coming in to work.

Unfortunately that meant when I got to work the bike locker keyhole was frozen locked. With some determined friction induced heat I managed to get it open though. :wink:
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
My Strava

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Seajays wrote:
    With some determined friction induced heat I managed to get it open though. :wink:

Certainly more acceptable than micturating on it.
    (Staying above 0 deg C here, thankfully - not looking forward to long commutes on Marathon Winters)
  • Yeah I had to defrost my windscreen this morning for the first time in forever.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Come down sarf that's your typical autumn and sometimes summer morning, I kid you not.

It's why I have so much cycling kit, honest.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Come down sarf that's your typical autumn and sometimes summer morning, I kid you not.

It's why I have so much cycling kit, honest.

So you have real howlers in July, yes?
  • Seajays wrote:

Unfortunately that meant when I got to work the bike locker keyhole was frozen locked. With some determined friction induced heat I managed to get it open though. :wink:

Let it go. 8)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    We have yes we've had snow in April and sept before, I'm telling you it's bloody freezing wet and windy practically all the time.

We do have good beer & ham so that kinda cancels some of it out.

This was my commute this morning, note the shorts

Check out @nedboulting's Tweet: https://twitter.com/nedboulting/status/ ... 70593?s=09
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • There's beauty and there's danger here.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Seajays wrote:

Aye, it was nippy cycling up to Altens this morning!

Hasn't quite hit minus temps yet in the city but you can feel it coming.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    You're brave.

I bottled it today. Was -2 riding home last night. Heavy frost and ice-rink roads this morning convinced me to ride 235mm rubber, instead of 23mm.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    It was our first serious frost since (I kid you not) August, round here.
    Sadly not riding the commute very often at the moment (45 miles each way is a bit much) so the studded Nokians are still gathering dust at the back of the garage.
  • bompington
    Seajays wrote:
    You could always try riding your bike around the hall.
  • bompington wrote:
    Seajays wrote:
    You could always try riding your bike around the hall.

You could but you'd end up talking to the pictures on the walls.
  • CitizenLee
    Pansies! :P

I don’t drive so if I decide not to ride to work I have a 10 minute walk to the bus stop, 5-10 minute wait for the bus and then 10-20 minute journey. This vs a 10-15 minute cycle on the bike. If it rains I get wet either way so may as well get there quicker! Only missed one day since starting commuting on the 27th Oct and it was a horrible reminder of why I started in the first place.

Saying that, my commute is very short and on well used roads so maybe pansies is a bit harsh :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • CitizenLee wrote:

I don’t drive so if I decide not to ride to work I have a 10 minute walk to the bus stop, 5-10 minute wait for the bus and then 10-20 minute journey. This vs a 10-15 minute cycle on the bike. If it rains I get wet either way so may as well get there quicker! Only missed one day since starting commuting on the 27th Oct and it was a horrible reminder of why I started in the first place.

Saying that, my commute is very short and on well used roads so maybe pansies is a bit harsh :D

10-15 minutes? Dont we have forum rules about this sort of thing?

BAN HIM FROM THE FORUM!!!! Send him here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40103
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee wrote:

BAN HIM FROM THE FORUM!!!! Send him here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40103

Ahhhh, and here's me thinking Commuting Section was home to all the wannabe roadies!

Thanks bud :lol::mrgreen::lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

That's still rather more than Cody and his Boardmanmanage.
  • Veronese68 wrote:

That's still rather more than Cody and his Boardmanmanage.

I love this comment on that thread :) "Obviously the ideal number of bikes is N+1, so you should buy another one."
  • vermin wrote:
    You're brave.

I bottled it today. Was -2 riding home last night. Heavy frost and ice-rink roads this morning convinced me to ride 235mm rubber, instead of 23mm.
    Brave, or prepared. Yesterdays rain followed by night frost meant there were two types of people in the changing room this morning. Those who put the spiked tyres on last night, and those who had fallen off on the way to work.
  • CitizenLee
    That thread tho :roll:

After following it for around 30 odd pages I lost the will to live.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Bobbygloss wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    You're brave.

Brave, or prepared. Yesterdays rain followed by night frost meant there were two types of people in the changing room this morning. Those who put the spiked tyres on last night, and those who had fallen off on the way to work.
    :lol:

I suppose so, but I wouldn't fancy doing 60 road miles on spikes!
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Well I haven't missed any days yet either since starting at the end of June.

I'm waiting for this type of weather: :D
    calvin-bike.bmp

At the moment I feel it is a personal challenge of man vs. nature to continue riding come what may... but then my commute is only 20-25 minutes as well... :lol:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • CitizenLee
    Seajays wrote:
    Well I haven't missed any days yet either since starting at the end of June.

I'm waiting for this type of weather: :D
    calvin-bike.bmp

At the moment I feel it is a personal challenge of man vs. nature to continue riding come what may... but then my commute is only 20-25 minutes as well... :lol:

'MON THE SNOW! :)

Same here though, determined to keep going until I physically cannot cycle the 2.4 miles to work :mrgreen:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • IMAG0013.jpg

Bring it.

Of course it does also bring:

snow_alfa_1.png
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Given that it's just about a year since I broke my wrist coming off on some ice there was no way I was going to chance it - -4 on my little lane this morning. Haven't commuted for two weeks on account of our AGM prep and my biannual woman flu, (which is so much worse than man flu).

Never tried spiked tires - do they actually work? Torn between that or pimping up the MTB.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • CitizenLee
    This what I'm genuinely looking forward to it being like again in Aberdeen...

p4pb5890394.jpg

I miss that SX Trail :cry:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • msmancunia wrote:
    Given that it's just about a year since I broke my wrist coming off on some ice there was no way I was going to chance it - -4 on my little lane this morning. Haven't commuted for two weeks on account of our AGM prep and my biannual woman flu, (which is so much worse than man flu).

Never tried spiked tires - do they actually work? Torn between that or pimping up the MTB.

Yes
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bompington
    msmancunia wrote:
    Yes. And MTBs don't: by which I mean that knobbly tyres don't really help on ice.
    I've had Nokian A10s for a while - they're the narrowest studded tyre you can get so better for clearance on road bikes. Plenty of other choices if you're happy to go wider.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Don't get enough of it down here. This was a few years ago.
    DSC00090-1.jpg
    That was fun for a couple of days.
  • itboffin
    msmancunia wrote:

Yes

oh yeah they work, its freaky at first but you quickly get used to it, i now have ice & snow spikes for the MTB and ice for the CX
  • and you get added joy of Rice Crispies ALL the way to work.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X