Thomson XC Carbon Bars - Bar Ends?

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited December 2014 in MTB general
I am considering buying a Thomson Carbon XC flat bar, but use Cane Creek Ergo II bar ends.

Is anyone aware if the Thomson bar has strengthened ends to allow use of bar ends?

I have tried contacting via their website, but nothing back yet...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you allowed to use carbon and bar ends in the same post?

I don't know the answer, sorry.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Carbon bars and bar ends don't get used together often. Carbon bars weren't all that common in the 90's when bar ends were still used.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Ok well thanks for all the help so far...

Is there anyone out there interested in helping rather than being a wise guy???
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    gcwebbyuk wrote:

:shock:

goodfellas-772.jpg
  • gcwebbyuk
    cyd190468 wrote:
    http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/10/08/first-look-thomson-cyclocross-all-mountain-dh-handlebars-unboxed-weighed/
    "Both are 730mm wide and have cut marks. They, too, get the woven carbon ends for better impact resistance and to bolster them for lock-on grips and bar ends."

Nice one, thanks 8)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Carbon bars and bar ends don't get used together often. Carbon bars weren't all that common in the 90's when bar ends were still used.

Rubbish, most carbon bars will say if they are or aren't compatible! Specialized do reinforcing plugs to help.

Cane Creek are better than most bar ends as they cover the end of the bar, support it better than some designs.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    gcwebbyuk wrote:

That should be the new BikeRadar tag line :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:

Rubbish, most carbon bars will say if they are or aren't compatible! Specialized do reinforcing plugs to help.

Cane Creek are better than most bar ends as they cover the end of the bar, support it better than some designs.
    I think you need to read RM SC's post again Nick......as a slightly facetious statement it is factually correct!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    No, the first sentence isn't factually correct. Carbon bars and bar ends are regularly used together.

Carbon bars were around in the 90s, albeit not as ubiquitous in the 90s. So... I stand by my 'rubbish'.

I realise it was an 'hilarious' observation though.
  • The Rookie
    Well hilarious is a stretch, I guess it's how you consider often, a significant percentage of bikes these days have CF bars, not that many have bar ends as a percentage, while bar ends where pretty ubiquitous in the 90's, so on that basis I guess you don't see them together that often, but yes, plenty around none the less,
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    How would bar ends work on a 780 bar? Someone must have done it.
  • njee20
    And they need to be shot for it.
  • The Rookie
    Not 780, just a mere 760....
    p5pb8480571.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    That's all sorts of wrong.
  • The Rookie
    Not arguing with that!

For the sake of 100% clarity, that is NOT my bike!
  • njee20
    There's so much wrong with that bike!
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    How did you get into my house??!

that makes my eyes hurt
  • The Rookie
    I didn't, I just searched for a picture......