Ridley Helium SL build

oldbazza
oldbazza Posts: 646
edited December 2014 in Your road bikes
Got tempted by a good deal on a Helium SL frameset so it's now N+3 :lol:
As I'm stretching myself a bit some jigging about has been done to keep the costs down so it will run on my Zondas and the bars and stem will come from my Icarus and cross bike.Groupset will be Ultegra(on it's way from Merlin) with a Deda superzero seat post and a second-hand Fizik saddle;first step though is to get the LBS to fit the crown race and PF BB adapter.
Might be a while to get this done but will keep this updated until finished but to start here are some crappy phone pics(seat post and saddle are just to see how it'll look);

15739571616_df70d51eb8_c.jpg

15763274585_25e510c18b_c.jpg

15763276645_449d2e2604_c.jpg

15143313684_03122b1996_c.jpg
Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Was offered this exact frameset for £1200 in a shop whilst looking for a Cervelo R3 Frameset which they didn't have in my size, be interested in what you paid if your willing to comment. I couldn't put a value on the Frameset as only seen full builds. Seems at least comparable to the R3 and I was looking at £1400 for that.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Lovely bike. I do like Ridleys but white stem???????
  • oldbazza
    White stem is not ideal but it's one less thing to pay for,if a black one comes up at reasonable cost later it'll get changed.
    As for the cost it was around what you are looking at for the R3(it was over less than half-price)basically around the same as the standard helium frameset that I was looking at getting.

Oh and more boxes arrived today;
    15769345491_636bfc2ed9_c.jpg

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • tim_wand
    That's a good price. Looking forward to seeing this built. I did wonder if it was the frame I was offered as that was in a LBS not a million miles from you.
  • oldbazza
    Actually wasn't from anywhere near me,I just found while having a browse on Google and it looked too good an offer to pass up;was going to take my time with the build but it's going to the LBS this week-end for the bb and adapter plus fork race fit so in a fortnight it will be ready to start.

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • tim_wand
    Did you use Slane Cycles. I Was looking at them for the R3 and saw they had these. Any comments on service.

The Other Helium SL frame was in an LBS, and seeing as he offered me it for £1200 in Early October I might have a punt at seeing if he's still got it and would come down some more.

I ve got an Ultegra 6800 gruppo and some Ksyriums , I d built it up with, so pretty similar to yours
  • oldbazza
    tim wand wrote:
    Did you use Slane Cycles. I Was looking at them for the R3 and saw they had these. Any comments on service.

The Other Helium SL frame was in an LBS, and seeing as he offered me it for £1200 in Early October I might have a punt at seeing if he's still got it and would come down some more.

I ve got an Ultegra 6800 gruppo and some Ksyriums , I d built it up with, so pretty similar to yours

No it was Long Eaton Cycle Centre who were pretty good when I inquired about it and after I got it online;think the one Slane had was a large.That would be a better deal than mine from your LBS if they still have it good way to get a 'superbike' as such.

It's now at the LBS who will sort the bb on it hopefully(no problem just needs the adapter for the shimano bb);realised they don't need to do the fork as the crown-race has a n expansion slot so just pushes on.

Last pics of the dry fit and I think the stem looks better now with the superzero post and second-hand Fizik saddle(with ready done side scuffsso savong me the bother :lol: )

15785645311_5ef31ac890_c.jpg

15789087432_2fe715ce07_c.jpg

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • tim_wand
    Looking Good! Love the Post and Saddle. works well. Undecided about the stem but its and easy change, need to see the complete build to really comment, would be interested to now finished weight, should be sub 7kg.

Didn't realise that these are only 1050 grammes frame and fork. that's well light.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    I like the white stem on that frame, not a fan of stealth
  • oldbazza
    Ta for the comments;it certainly felt light carrying it to the LBS yesterday!
    No progress for a bit as it'll be at the LBS for at least a week now as they are a bit busy at the moment;still not as bad as a young guy in the club who ordered a Merida Scultura Ultegra from another LBS and was told he would get it in November,won't be until the new year now!

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • oldbazza
    Some progress now on this;basically everything is on now and ready to be set up apart from the chain;must remind myself that next time I build a bike with internal cabling that I'll get the cables in before the BB is fitted :roll: .Much swearing went on while trying to get the bloody things past the BB and then I had to take the front mech one out again to fit the in-line adjuster :roll: :roll: .
    But hopefully it'll be plain sailing from here and this might get sorted next week-end.

Oh and before anyone starts,yes I do have to cut the rear mech cable down.

15729585409_4f25d23177_c.jpg

15914948112_3b00ed0180_c.jpg

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • looks smart........
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    oldbazza wrote:
    Some progress now on this;basically everything is on now and ready to be set up apart from the chain;must remind myself that next time I build a bike with internal cabling that I'll get the cables in before the BB is fitted :roll: .Much swearing went on while trying to get the bloody things past the BB and then I had to take the front mech one out again to fit the in-line adjuster :roll: :roll: .
    But hopefully it'll be plain sailing from here and this might get sorted next week-end.

Oh and before anyone starts,yes I do have to cut the rear mech cable down.

15729585409_4f25d23177_c.jpg

15914948112_3b00ed0180_c.jpg
    Looks like it,s taking shape..
    this is the Ridley I built back in may
    ridley5_zpsa56fe7fa.jpg
  • oldbazza
    Nice;dunno what it is about Ridleys but there's something about them I just like.

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • oldbazza
    Quick spin on it yesterday(only home-station-work and a quick spin around Cambridge) and just a couple of niggles;stem and saddle needed adjusting and I think the rear brake outer from the bars to stem will need re-doing as it's not really long enough :roll: .Rides lovely though and just seems to float over the road.
    Got a chance to weigh it on the recently calibrated works dispatch scales(big enough for a pallet) and it comes in at 6.5kgs so plenty light enough I think :D
    Can't wait now to give it a proper ride at some point now,might try and get out Saturday afternoon if I can.

And a couple of pics of it as it was before yesterday(seat-post,saddle and bars adjusted since);

15346743114_81c9365362_c.jpg

15968360882_494b22e047_c.jpg

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I love my Helium. The frames are fantastic.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Unconventional cable routing on your bars there... Any reason?

Nice bike though, the LBS nearest my office stock Ridley, always look good.

Do you sing "Ten green bottles hanging on the wall..." While you're on the turbo? :mrgreen:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • oldbazza
    Seemed the best way without straining the cables too much as the Shimano outers seemed a bit stiff compared to the Jagwire ones I've used before,might run them both at the front though.

Had a ride on it last week-end and it just seems to float over the road;just need to get the fitness up to justify using it now.

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra