Punish me!

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited December 2014 in Road general
Put the bike away on Thursday night after a very wet ride home .bike and kit was soaked put the bike away in the shed and forgot about it untill today!!! Oh my god what have I done ..i said in my head .. This is very unlike me I normaly rinse the bike off and dry and lube ....

I can't belive the state of it .grit and road dirt is every where chain has rusted in some parts bb is crunching also a strange squeal is coming from the free hub every now and then ....basicly it needs to be striped down and cleaned properly and re greased also the wear on the pads is unreal ....

Please someone make sure that I never do it again
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Just give it some GT85 on go out for a ride
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Throw it away and buy a new one.
  • Give it a wipe off with a damp rag, and then clean the bike.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dont worry too much. Its only when they've gritted the road that this becomes a real necessity to get the crap off the bike.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    I live on portland dorset it's basicly one big quarry the roads are horrendous when wet full of grit and clay from the lorrys so it was pretty bad ... Il never leave her to rott again to be honest I thought it would have melted in the rain being carbon and all :-)
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Easy, clean the chain and put a generous coating of GT85 on, wipe down the BB area (the grit shouldn't have penetrated into the bearings, otherwise it would feel gritty after any wet ride).
    After a decent ride all of the ris should be ground away.

I found my chain rusting after a wet ride even after cleaning and putting GT85 on last week- next time I used more degreaser and more GT85 and no more rust.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    oxoman wrote:
    We all do it once, then regret doing it vowing never to do it again...

The cyclists hangover?

There was so much sh1t on the roads yesterday that my bike crunched and squeaked for the last 10 miles of my ride. Cue Muc off and some fancy dry/wet lube on order...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I spent Sunday morning riding around the Vale of Belvoir and have never seen my bike in such a state. Apparently the hunt went through the day before and sprayed mud and crap everywhere.
    I nearly spent as long cleaning as I did riding!
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited December 2014
    Spray down with hose. Spray down with muc-off. Spray down with hose. Put bike away.

Edit: Then turn the outside tap off, which is the bit I always forget then I get in trouble from my wife as water has been leaking out for days.
  • I never clean my bike down after a wet ride, it goes straight in the garage and is lucky if it get cleaned once a week. Wet lube on the chain seems to work. Mind you I do have mudguards.
  • Spray her down with a gentle stream of water, use some brushes in a mile detergent to wash things and get the gunk :shock: dissolved, then hit the mechs and chain with some WD-40 to push away all the water from pins, bushings and bearing surfaces. Lube the chain with your choice of the finer vintages of lubricant (that was redundantly redundant :? ) and check the BB, and wheel bearings for any grinding, the grit shouldn't be into your bearings, as said above. If everything sounds and feels right, go for a ride :D and then clean her up, as you have sworn to do, or else....... :wink:
    Lets just got for a ride, the heck with all this stuff...